United States
Local time: 18:05
Chinese to English
+ ...
Indispensable / 离不开的 May 10, 2011

Zhoudan wrote:

这是iphone电视广告的最后一句话。搞不懂这是啥意思。你们怎么想?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onLYKU-CNhM

If you don't have an iphone, you don't have the apps store. So you don't have the world's largest selection of apps, that are this easy to find, and this easy to download right to your phone. So it can be almost anything, like a boarding pass, or do almost anything, like pay for your coffee.

Yep, if you don't have an iPhone, well, you don't have an iPhone.

简单地说, 意思就是 iPhone 是独一无二的, the best of the best.

In other words, Apple is saying, "If you don't have an iPhone, you are missing out on the best that technology has to offer". You're not taking advantage of the conveniences or niceties made possible by the many applications unique to the iPhone.

Put another way, without an iPhone, you're handicapping yourself, in contrast to those who have one. If you don't have an iPhone, well, you don't have an iPhone, meaning you're tying your own hands, or "sabotaging" yourself, so to speak.

我看也可以翻成 “没有一个 iPhone, 你就真的干瞪眼(傻眼/约束自己/自找不方便)了”。 或者用通俗一点儿的话说, “没有一个 iPhone,你是自己跟自己过不去/自做苦行僧”。

[Edited at 2011-05-11 01:36 GMT]

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
BTW May 10, 2011

Apple products are very well designed. That iMac workstation I bought a while ago -- best money I ever spent on a home computer.

听说如今 Apple 在国内也“红得发紫”。 前几天 CNN 有个报道, 说北京三里囤一带 排队买 iPad,几乎打破头.

Chunyi Chen
Chunyi Chen
United States
Local time: 16:05
English to Chinese
聽不懂,但這不是重點:) May 10, 2011

起碼一個句子裡iphone出現了兩次,大家都有印象了。
我真的沒有iphone,但也沒覺得非它不可呀。
不過這也印證你之前說的,高端產品也是有它的市場,
所以吾等譯者不必妄自菲薄:)

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Indeed the message is don't cramp your own style May 10, 2011

Chun-yi Chen wrote:

起碼一個句子裡iphone出現了兩次,大家都有印象了。
我真的沒有iphone,但也沒覺得非它不可呀。
不過這也印證你之前說的,高端產品也是有它的市場,
所以吾等譯者不必妄自菲薄:)

当然它们的销售广告是有些夸张的。 And personally I wouldn't buy into that kind of hype either.

http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/cramp%20style

Nevertheless, Apple does indeed have excellent products.

[Edited at 2011-05-10 20:50 GMT]

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
Behind scene stories May 10, 2011

wherestip wrote:

Apple products are very well designed. That iMac workstation I bought a while ago -- best money I ever spent on a home computer.

Steve,

Please take a look at these articles:

“Inside Apple” Reveals Steve Jobs Anecdotes, Apple’s Little Known Facts
http://www.macstories.net/news/inside-apple-reveals-steve-jobs-anecdotes-apples-little-known-facts/

http://www.ibtimes.com.cn/articles/20110510/pingguo.htm

So, I asked my son if the Apple tasted sweet, sour or bitter.

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Bright future May 10, 2011

ysun wrote:

So, I asked my son if the Apple tasted sweet, sour or bitter.

Yueyin,

I'm sure it's very sweet. Going to work for Apple is a great career move for him. I wish him the very best.

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
绝无仅有 May 10, 2011

Yueyin,

可惜象 Steve Jobs 这样的 CEO 太少了。

http://www.proz.com/post/542904#542904

wherestip wrote:

CEO leadership --- Mar 31, 2007

Apple is a wonderful turnaround story. Its innovative ipod made it the dominant player in the online music delivery business. Now it's launching its much ballyhooed multifunction iphone.

You have to give credit to Steve Jobs for his vision and leadership. He practically brought Apple back from the brink of bankruptcy.

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
Lost in translation May 10, 2011

Steve,

Thank you for your best wishes to my son!

Apparently, the Chinese article is translated from English, but it is not a good translation. For example, Steve Jobs just named new executives on the spot to run the MobileMe team, not "由新员工接手MobileMe业务"。While reading the Chinese article, I was quite surprised at “MobileMe团队面面相觑,会后全部要执包袱离开,由新员工接手 MobileMe业务” and felt it was a stupid idea to let "
... See more
Steve,

Thank you for your best wishes to my son!

Apparently, the Chinese article is translated from English, but it is not a good translation. For example, Steve Jobs just named new executives on the spot to run the MobileMe team, not "由新员工接手MobileMe业务"。While reading the Chinese article, I was quite surprised at “MobileMe团队面面相觑,会后全部要执包袱离开,由新员工接手 MobileMe业务” and felt it was a stupid idea to let "新员工接手MobileMe业务", but after reading the English article, I think Steve Jobs' decision to name new executives on the spot is quite reasonable and wise.

会上火药味甚浓,乔布斯接着再用粗口连珠炮发 MobileMe团队,直斥他们败坏苹果名声,甚至撂下狠话说:「你们让大家失望,应该要互相憎恨对方。」
MobileMe团队面面相觑,会后全部要执包袱离开,由新员工接手 MobileMe业务。

Steve Jobs summoned the entire MobileMe team for a meeting at the company’s on-campus Town Hall, accusing everyone of “tarnishing Apple’s reputation.” He told the members of the team they “should hate each other for having let each other down”, and went on to name new executives on the spot to run the MobileMe team.
Collapse

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
I totally agree May 10, 2011

俗话说,将熊熊一窝。如果养着一群混饭吃的,怎么能出成果、怎么能扭转危局、转败为胜呢?
wherestip wrote:

Yueyin,

可惜象 Steve Jobs 这样的 CEO 太少了。

http://www.proz.com/post/542904#542904

wherestip wrote:

CEO leadership --- Mar 31, 2007

Apple is a wonderful turnaround story. Its innovative ipod made it the dominant player in the online music delivery business. Now it's launching its much ballyhooed multifunction iphone.

You have to give credit to Steve Jobs for his vision and leadership. He practically brought Apple back from the brink of bankruptcy.

[Edited at 2011-05-10 22:15 GMT]

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
Back to the topic May 11, 2011

wherestip wrote:

简单地说, 意思就是 iPhone 是独一无二的, the best of the best.

In other words, Apple is saying, "If you don't have an iPhone, you are missing out on the best that technology has to offer". You're not taking advantage of the conveniences or niceties made possible by the many applications unique to the iPhone.

Put another way, without an iPhone, you're handicapping yourself, in contrast to those who have one. If you don't have an iPhone, well, you don't have an iPhone, meaning you're tying your own hands, or "sabotaging" yourself, so to speak.

我看也可以翻成 “没有一个 iPhone, 你就真的干瞪眼(傻眼/约束自己/自找不方便)了”。 或者用通俗一点儿的话说, “没有一个 iPhone,你是自己跟自己过不去/自做苦行僧”。

[Edited at 2011-05-11 01:36 GMT]

Steve,

I agree with you. I think this is another example of “lost in translation". The ads shouldn’t be translated literally. I would translate it like this: “没有 iPhone,哎!那你就太遗憾了!”我也赞成你的这句:“没有 iPhone,你就真的傻眼了!”或者开个玩笑:”“没有 iPhone,得,那你就该疯了!” :D

“如果你没有iphone,那么你就真的没有iphone”听起来就像是大实话。这种译法没有把原广告的那股傲气表达出来。

Yup, if You don’t have an iPhone, well .. you don’t have an iPhone.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBcSMdh3qpk&feature=related

[Edited at 2011-05-11 05:37 GMT]

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
"如果你没有iphone,那么你就真的没有iphone" May 11, 2011

ysun wrote:

“如果你没有iphone,那么你就真的没有iphone”听起来就像是大实话。这种译法没有把原广告的那股傲气表达出来。

Yueyin,

You're absolutely right. I can just imagine many a Chinese person saying:"这不是大废话嘛!" ...

IMO, that is the most common problem in Eng to Chi translation: superficially translating word for word what is being said without a full understanding of what is being meant.

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
话外音 May 11, 2011

ysun wrote:

I agree with you. I think this is another example of “lost in translation". The ads shouldn’t be translated literally. I would translate it like this: “没有 iPhone,哎!那你就太遗憾了!”我也赞成你的这句:“没有 iPhone,你就真的傻眼了!”或者开个玩笑:”“没有 iPhone,得,那你就该疯了!” :D

Yueyin,

Your suggestions are very good. I agree, one can definitely hear it in the man's voice, ... the way he said it ...

"... if you don't have an iPhone, well, I feel sorry for you"

"... if you don't have an iPhone, well, you'll drive yourself nuts"

"... if you don't have an iPhone, well, you're absolutely insane" or "... if you don't have an iPhone, well, you need to have your head examined"

etc., etc.

~*~*~*~*

IMO, they could have been hinting at something even more irreverent, such as, "... well, it's your own stupid decision", "well, it's your funeral", etc. But since it's an ad, they definitely didn't want to p*ss off any potential customers and defeat their own purpose ...

I'm sure Apple ad agencies did enough brainstorming to come up with this mild insult to those whom have yet to jump on the iPhone bandwagon.

~*~*~*~*

http://www.usingenglish.com/reference/idioms/it's+your+funeral.html

Idiom: It's your funeral

The other person has made a decision that you think is bad. However, it is their choice; it is their funeral.

[Edited at 2011-05-11 14:53 GMT]

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
是的 May 11, 2011

wherestip wrote:

IMO, they could have been hinting at something even more irreverent, such as, "... well, it's your own stupid decision", "well, it's your funeral", etc. But since it's an ad, they definitely didn't want to p*ss off any potential customers and defeat their own purpose ...

I'm sure Apple ad agencies did enough brainstorming to come up with this mild insult to those whom have yet to jump on the iPhone bandwagon.

Apple 搞出这个别出心裁的广告也不容易。既要“笑傲江湖”,又不能惹人反感。有些东西只能意会,不可言传,所以想翻得好也就不容易。

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:05
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
你连IPHONE都没有还敢出来混! May 11, 2011

其实这个我真没有。

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

如果你没有iphone,那么你就真的没有iphone

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »