Chinese to English
+ ...
Good translations May 17, 2011

ysun wrote:

我比较喜欢 Li Jie 的第一句,即:
“如果你没有 iPhone,唉...可惜你没有 iPhone。”

Zhoudan 的也不错:
“如果你没有 iPhone,哎呀,你怎么就没有iPhone呢!”

I agree with Yueyin. These are very good translations too, together with Li Jie's other suggestion.

The ad basically wants to give the yet-to-convert consumers a sense of inadequacy, to make them feel like they're not as tech savvy or as sophisticated as those who stood in line for an iPhone or an iPad.

[Edited at 2011-05-17 14:09 GMT]

Xu Dongjun
Xu Dongjun  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 15:14
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
赞成这个 May 17, 2011

Phil Hand wrote:

你如果没有iPhone,那只能做个没有iPhone的人。

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Chinese to English
Two meanings May 17, 2011

Wherestip is right about one meaning: those without iPhones are not as good as those who have them.
But I think the other meaning of this slogan is very important too. 为什么一句话内出现两次iPhone呢?因为iPhone是独一无二的,它对你生活的影响难以用其他说法来概括,说到底,iPhone就是iPhone,完全超出手机的含义,变成一个生活方式,而不是消费品。
所以与其说你别人没有iPhone就比不上我有iPhone的人,不
... See more
Wherestip is right about one meaning: those without iPhones are not as good as those who have them.
But I think the other meaning of this slogan is very important too. 为什么一句话内出现两次iPhone呢?因为iPhone是独一无二的,它对你生活的影响难以用其他说法来概括,说到底,iPhone就是iPhone,完全超出手机的含义,变成一个生活方式,而不是消费品。
所以与其说你别人没有iPhone就比不上我有iPhone的人,不如说你彻底失去了可比性,我已经无法描述你的情况,只能说你跟我是不同类的。

So it can be almost anything, like a boarding pass, or do almost anything, like pay for your coffee.

Yep, if you don't have an iPhone, well, you don't have an iPhone.

所以它可以千变万化,一会儿当作登机卡,再会儿帮你刷咖啡的钱。没错,你没有iPhone的话,那你是——你是没有iPhone的。
Collapse

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:14
Chinese to English
+ ...
Agree May 17, 2011

Phil,

Thank you. I agree with you that there is the meaning that those who have the iPhone consider themselves in a league of their own. To them it is a lifestyle proposition.

I mentioned that in the 1st post I posted in this thread, BTW.

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:14
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
这才是英文的准确意思 May 17, 2011

Phil Hand wrote:

So it can be almost anything, like a boarding pass, or do almost anything, like pay for your coffee.

是的这才是本口号的真正含义.两个IPHONE的意思是不同的,第一个是指PHYSICAL的IPHONE,第二个是比喻用法,表示IPHONE所象征的意义, 也可以说第二个IPHONE是双关语.

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Absolutely May 17, 2011

wherestip wrote:

Indispensable / 离不开的 --- May 10

Zhoudan wrote:

这是iphone电视广告的最后一句话。搞不懂这是啥意思。你们怎么想?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onLYKU-CNhM

If you don't have an iphone, you don't have the apps store. So you don't have the world's largest selection of apps, that are this easy to find, and this easy to download right to your phone. So it can be almost anything, like a boarding pass, or do almost anything, like pay for your coffee.

简单地说, 意思就是 iPhone 是独一无二的, the best of the best.

In other words, Apple is saying, "If you don't have an iPhone, you are missing out on the best that technology has to offer". You're not taking advantage of the conveniences or niceties made possible by the many applications unique to the iPhone.

Put another way, without an iPhone, you're handicapping yourself, in contrast to those who have one. If you don't have an iPhone, well, you don't have an iPhone, meaning you're tying your own hands, or "sabotaging" yourself, so to speak.

我看也可以翻成 “没有一个 iPhone, 你就真的干瞪眼(傻眼/约束自己/自找不方便)了”。 或者用通俗一点儿的话说, “没有一个 iPhone,你是自己跟自己过不去/自做苦行僧”。

wherestip wrote:

Indeed the message is don't cramp your own style --- May 10

Chun-yi Chen wrote:

起碼一個句子裡iphone出現了兩次,大家都有印象了。
我真的沒有iphone,但也沒覺得非它不可呀。
不過這也印證你之前說的,高端產品也是有它的市場,
所以吾等譯者不必妄自菲薄:)

当然它们的销售广告是有些夸张的。 And personally I wouldn't buy into that kind of hype either.

http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/cramp%20style

Nevertheless, Apple does indeed have excellent products.

jyuan,

I agree with you and Phil on the more abstract meaning of the iPhone being in a different league of its own and symbolizing an exclusive way of life (or shall we call it a hoity-toity lifestyle). That is exactly what I was driving at in the above two posts. And that is what I meant in my more recent postings when using such phrases as "behind the curve", "settling for less" , "甘心矮人一等", "inadequacy" versus such phrases as "tech savvy", "sophisticated". I wasn't merely talking about the benefit of having a physical iPhone in one's possession, but also the more symbolic aspects of prestige and status that come with it(which we agree on that this series of Apple ads wanted to imply and convey).

Sorry if my message was not clear enough or not pointed enough, or if it got lost along the way in the lengthy discussions.

[Edited at 2011-05-18 11:56 GMT]

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:14
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
I know what you meant in the very beginning May 18, 2011

Hi Steve,

Thank you for the thorough explanation. A proper understanding of this kind of tricky sentences does require the 语感 of a native English speaker, like you and Phil. Such a 语感 has been hidden somewhere in my mind but it didn't come to the surface until I read Phil's post and yours.

We must admit that the proposed translations, no matter how well they are, didn't reflect the true meaning of the English sentence, except Phil's and yours.

Fort
... See more
Hi Steve,

Thank you for the thorough explanation. A proper understanding of this kind of tricky sentences does require the 语感 of a native English speaker, like you and Phil. Such a 语感 has been hidden somewhere in my mind but it didn't come to the surface until I read Phil's post and yours.

We must admit that the proposed translations, no matter how well they are, didn't reflect the true meaning of the English sentence, except Phil's and yours.

Fortunately now, we have got it!!

[Edited at 2011-05-18 03:16 GMT]
Collapse

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
恰如其分 May 18, 2011

wherestip wrote:

没有一个 iPhone, 你就真的干瞪眼了。

N.J. Woman's Spectacular Shuttle Launch Photos From Airplane Wow Web
http://www.space.com/11689-shuttle-launch-photos-airplane-window.html
Airline passenger Stefanie Gordon used an iPhone to snap this photo of the space shuttle Endeavour streaking toward space on May 16. Gordon was flying from New York to Palm Beach, Fla., aboard a Delta jet.

Stefanie Gordon - Video of the shuttle launch. - TwitVid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhKsYlLFHU4

如果你没有iPhone,到了这时候可不就只能干瞪眼了吗?  

[Edited at 2011-05-18 02:49 GMT]

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
翻译讨论 May 18, 2011

jyuan_us wrote:

Hi Steve,

Thank you for the thorough explanation. A proper understanding of this kind of tricky sentences does require the 语感 of a native English speaker, like you and Phil. Such a 语感 has been hidden somewhere in my mind but it didn't come to the surface before I read Phil's post and yours.

We must admit that the proposed translations, no matter how well they are, doesn't reflect the true meaning of the English sentence, except Phil's and yours.

Fortunately now, we have got it!!

jyuan,

Thank you. I agree with what you said.

IMO, this kind of discussion definitely benefits everyone, me included.

Also, thanks to Zhoudan for initiating the thread is in order. Hope we can have more discussions like this in the future.

Zhoudan
Zhoudan  Identity Verified
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
我听到广告时就感觉一定有问题 May 18, 2011

很高兴拿到这里来讨论,总算明白是什么意思了。谢谢Steve和Phil。

Zhoudan
Zhoudan  Identity Verified
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
无iphone族 May 18, 2011

如果你没有iphone,那就是无iphone族。

套用“无车族”、“无房族”。

Phil Hand wrote:

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Chinese to English
我只是明确一点 May 18, 2011

其实jyuan和wherestip的版本已经把原意表达出来了(Li Jie的版本我也很喜欢),我只是喜欢做分析,把含义改成明义,当然,为了做好翻译,又要把名义隐藏成含义,不然失去原文的微妙的地方。
Zhoudan的族也很好。。。不然我们都集体改行吧,去做行销工作!

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Apple Stores May 18, 2011

Not really pertinent to the topic at hand, but still a feel-good success story that's kind of related ...

http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/innovation/05/18/apple.store.anniversary/index.html?hpt=T2

BTW, "无iphone族" 这个主意确实很好。

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
一点看法 May 18, 2011

wherestip wrote:

In other words, Apple is saying, "If you don't have an iPhone, you are missing out on the best that technology has to offer". You're not taking advantage of the conveniences or niceties made possible by the many applications unique to the iPhone.

http://www.proz.com/post/1736908#1736908

Steve 在第一天他的第一帖里所说的以上这番话,就已经很精辟地说明了那句广告词的含义。翻译文章得联系上下文。翻译那句广告词,也得与前面的话连贯起来。那段广告在前面列举了iPhone的诸多特点和应用,最后那句话的意思实际上就是,“如果你没有iPhone,那你就无法享受iPhone所提供的各种便利和乐趣。”言外之意就是,你看着办吧。而不是说,如果你没有iPhone,那你就只能做个什么类型的人。当然,表达上述含义可以有各种方式,没有唯一的标准答案。在翻译之后,只要用自己的译文来替换原来结尾的那句话,看看意思是否能与前面那些话连贯起来,就知道翻得是否恰当了。不妨试试:

广告中文版:
http://url.cn/3IUpxQ

另外Steve 还说过,"But since it's an ad, they definitely didn't want to p*ss off any potential customers and defeat their own purpose ...”。因此,翻译这广告词也得注意方寸、适可而止。否则,听众的反应很可能就是:“如果我没有iPhone,如果我是个没有iPhone的人,关你什么事!”

[Edited at 2011-05-18 20:51 GMT]

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Agree. The important thing is to capture the main message and the tone May 18, 2011

ysun wrote:

“如果你没有iPhone,那你就无法享受iPhone所提供的各种便利和乐趣。”言外之意就是,你看着办吧。而不是说,如果你没有iPhone,那你就只能做个什么类型的人。当然,表达上述含义可以有各种方式,没有唯一的标准答案。在翻译之后,只要用自己的译文来替换原来结尾的那句话,看看意思是否能与前面那些话连贯起来,就知道翻得是否恰当了。不妨试试:

广告中文版:
http://url.cn/3IUpxQ

Yueyin,

谢谢你把中文版找出来。

我很同意你说的。听听中文广告的朗读,我觉得最突出的情调还是 为没有 iPhone 的人 感到惋惜和遗憾(of course it's also in the original)。我同意你说的,译法很多,只要抓住这种情绪并且保持通顺易懂就达到目的了。

能把 "你自己看着办吧" 的含蓄之意包括在内当然是更上一层楼。

看看北京三里屯 Apple Store 外等着购买 iPad 2 的这个热闹场面! (courtesy: CNN)

BTW, I read somewhere that they currently have 4 Apple Stores in China - two in Beijing and two in Shanghai.

[Edited at 2011-05-18 22:21 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

如果你没有iphone,那么你就真的没有iphone

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »