Thread poster: F Bossard

Claudio Porcellana  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 01:42
Member (2004)
English to Italian
+ ...
Rates per hour for MTPE Aug 23

I recently experienced something quite the contrary. A few pieces of human translations I edited took much more time than I'd have spent on editing machine translations.

it is sad to see, but devilishly real!
and I can add that the quality of source sentences I normally see is steadily decreasing

[Edited at 2019-08-23 21:43 GMT]

mughwI

Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:42
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
What we charge for Aug 24

Claudio Porcellana wrote:

I recently experienced something quite the contrary. A few pieces of human translations I edited took much more time than I'd have spent on editing machine translations.

it is sad to see, but devilishly real!
and I can add that the quality of source sentences I normally see is steadily decreasing

[Edited at 2019-08-23 21:43 GMT]

It almost seems as if some people need to constantly tout how great MT is. When they do that, they don't seem to realize that they don't do the profession any favors. Why?
I would invite everyone to read through previous forum posts. And ... whatever a machine translates MUST be checked by a human. And the knowledge the human translator brings to the table is what he is selling. And that's what we charge for.

If a human translator performed awfully then that is no proof of how good MT is. Think about it.
Let's just be a little more careful with what we say about MT. Much obliged.

[Edited at 2019-08-24 21:57 GMT]

Daryo

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rates per hour for MTPE

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search