Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Off topic: Just seen this on Twitter: how to recognize a translator.
Thread poster: Tom in London
Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:05
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Jan 26, 2023

Screenshot

Mustafa Baris Erevikli
Lieven Malaise
Anton Konashenok
Sabine Braun
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis
Philippe Noth

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Local time: 09:05
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Appropriate Jan 26, 2023

How appropriate. I will be working until 2 a.m. tonight (or better tomorrow). Your picture expresses exactly how I feel when I'm working during the night.

Assaf Rosenkrantz

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
French to English
+ ...
Another one Jan 26, 2023

– Are you a real translator?
– Sure.
– Say something in translatorese!
– Without the context, I can't.

P.L.F. Persio
Tretyak
Daryo
Kyaw Kyaw Aung

Evgeny Sidorenko
Evgeny Sidorenko
Russian Federation
Local time: 10:05
English to Russian
+ ...
Stereotypes Jan 27, 2023

Can't see the point in sacrificing sleep. It's just unhealthy, and there are so many other things to do. I manage to keep working hours (which can be anything from 1 to 10) in the range of 8.00 to 21.00 latest. Otherwise I would become a slave to my job, let alone exhaustion and lower efficiency. It may be different for night owls, but then it's a personality thing and not the occupation.

Baran Keki
Rachel Waddington
Christopher Schröder
Christel Zipfel
Laurent Di Raimondo
Philip Lees
Rita Translator

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
English to Turkish
Such a cliche Jan 27, 2023

Why do most people assume that (freelance) translators burn the midnight oil?

Christopher Schröder
Joe France
Ester Vidal
Rachel Waddington
John Fossey
expressisverbis
Philip Lees

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Cliché Jan 27, 2023

Baran Keki wrote:
Why do most people assume that (freelance) translators burn the midnight oil?

Probably because there are (and were) enough translators out there who work (very) late hours from time to time. Otherwise it wouldn't be a cliché.

I've been doing this since the beginning of my freelance career (in the early days mainly due to procrastination, sometimes because of the difficulty of what I'm translating and another time to compensate for a slower period), but it has (luckily) become rather rare in recent years.

Zoe Rompou
expressisverbis
Geoffrey Black

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. Jan 27, 2023

I haven't worked past 8pm for years. I translated a couple of sentences at 10pm five years ago, and before that I don't even remember the last time.

It's more likely a mother tending to her baby in the middle of the night.

Christopher Schröder
Lingua 5B
Rachel Waddington
Philip Lees
Rita Translator
Angie Garbarino

Zoe Rompou
Zoe Rompou  Identity Verified
Member (2018)
English to Greek
+ ...
Translators with kids Jan 27, 2023

If you have kids, it is very obvious that the quietest time for work is when they are at school or when they just fell asleep.

Laureana Pavon
Tretyak
Geoffrey Black
Mikhail Popov
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kay Denney
Victoria Britten

Baran Keki
Türkiye
English to Turkish
I'm aware of that Jan 27, 2023

Lieven Malaise wrote:

Probably because there are (and were) enough translators out there who work (very) late hours from time to time. Otherwise it wouldn't be a cliché.

I've been doing this since the beginning of my freelance career (in the early days mainly due to procrastination, sometimes because of the difficulty of what I'm translating and another time to compensate for a slower period), but it has (luckily) become rather rare in recent years.

If you're an in-house translator, you work from 9 to 5 (something I've done for nearly 10 years unfortunately), so there's not much chance of staying up all night, though that didn't prevent a good friend of mine at the office, who would stay up all night playing Skyrim and other PS games and coming to work after 2 or 3 hours of sleep (running up the electricity bill that way). You wouldn't want that guy to translate your documents.
I've been checking out these forums for the last 6 years, and it's my impression that most people here have very structured lives, they wake up early, have a swim, run, do 3-4k words a day and then stay away from keyboard after 6 PM. Of course, they must have long-established steady boutique or direct clients with whom they have found ways to accommodate their requirements with their lifestyles. They, it seems, are less susceptible to the unpredictability of this trade probably due to their language pairs or being longer in the game.
But, nonetheless, there is this unmistakable impression that translators have gone and f*cked up Circadian rhythms. Especially in my language pair. I'm guessing it's mostly down to best rate agencies and places like Upwork. Bottom feeders are thriving at the witching hour, vying for 1-2 cent per word jobs from India or USA while being active on social media.

[Edited at 2023-01-27 09:00 GMT]

Lieven Malaise
Christopher Schröder
expressisverbis
Philip Lees
Geoffrey Black

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Reality ? Jan 27, 2023

Baran Keki wrote:
I've been checking out these forums for the last 6 years, and it's my impression that most people here have very structured lives, they wake up early, have a swim, run, do 3-4k words a day and then stay away from keyboard after 6 PM.

I'd love to be a fly to see how that exactly works. Through the years I've learnt to be very careful with what people say, especially if there is no way to verify what they are saying.

Baran Keki
expressisverbis
Matthias Brombach
Mikhail Popov
Christine Andersen
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Krisztina Bottai

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
I don’t do that Jan 27, 2023

I may do some light work late, ie. answer an email, here and there.

If I’m late with a deadline, I’d rather wake up early and finish it up then work late.

The image would better reflect my student days when I was studying for exams and tests. Procrastination was present, the days had to be used for roaming around with friends, and lack of sleep at night didn’t affect me much. I didn’t do it all the time but it would happen when an exam date was close.

Christopher Schröder
Philip Lees
Geoffrey Black
Krisztina Bottai

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Work vs. computer Jan 27, 2023

Baran Keki wrote:

Lieven Malaise wrote:

If you're an in-house translator, you work from 9 to 5 (something I've done for nearly 10 years unfortunately), so there's not much chance of staying up all night, though that didn't prevent a good friend of mine at the office, who would stay up all night playing Skyrim and other PS games and coming to work after 2 or 3 hours of sleep (running up the electricity bill that way). You wouldn't want that guy to translate your documents.
I've been checking out these forums for the last 6 years, and it's my impression that most people here have very structured lives, they wake up early, have a swim, run, do 3-4k words a day and then stay away from keyboard after 6 PM. Of course, they must have long-established steady boutique or direct clients with whom they have found ways to accommodate their requirements with their lifestyles. They, it seems, are less susceptible to the unpredictability of this trade probably due to their language pairs or being longer in the game.
But, nonetheless, there is this unmistakable impression that translators have gone and f*cked up Circadian rhythms. Especially in my language pair. I'm guessing it's mostly down to best rate agencies and places like Upwork. Bottom feeders are thriving at the witching hour, vying for 1-2 cent per word jobs from India or USA while being active on social media.

[Edited at 2023-01-27 09:00 GMT]

Staying away from a device and staying away from work are two different things. There are people who are on devices a lot and never do any work on them.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Working 9 to 5, what a way to make a living Jan 27, 2023

Lieven Malaise wrote:

Baran Keki wrote:
I've been checking out these forums for the last 6 years, and it's my impression that most people here have very structured lives, they wake up early, have a swim, run, do 3-4k words a day and then stay away from keyboard after 6 PM.

I'd love to be a fly to see how that exactly works. Through the years I've learnt to be very careful with what people say, especially if there is no way to verify what they are saying.

It's easy. You start work at 8 and finish at 4, and take weekends off. I did it for more than 20 years.

I've never burnt the midnight oil, not once.

But obviously you have to take that with a huge pinch of salt if it doesn't match your own experience.

Rachel Waddington
Christel Zipfel
Philip Lees

Baran Keki
Türkiye
English to Turkish
I know where you're coming from Jan 27, 2023

Lingua 5B wrote:
Staying away from a device and staying away from work are two different things. There are people who are on devices a lot and never do any work on them.

Having just checked the other thread. But, as amazing as it sounds, apparently there are some people who can afford to stay away from the device and work at the same bleeding time!
This sounds like a contradiction in terms in freelance translation. I don't know where we (or rather I) would be without email alerts. In my language pair replying to an email an hour late directly affects your livelihood, while others don't give a toss about time zones.
Another thing I hate about freelancing is the fact that you're working almost all your waking hours. Even having to write an email to a PM in English at 11 PM is work, you can't just simply turn off your phone (whereas I used to do that when working as an in-house). Mind you, I don't do social media, so I'm not one of those guys who's glued to his phone screen. This (Proz) is about the only 'social media' I follow, it's kind of sad as one colleague hailing from your neck of the woods has put it

Geoffrey Black

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Being on call Jan 27, 2023

Baran Keki wrote:
I don't know where we (or rather I) would be without email alerts. In my language pair replying to an email an hour late directly affects your livelihood, while others don't give a toss about time zones.
Another thing I hate about freelancing is the fact that you're working almost all your waking hours. Even having to write an email to a PM in English at 11 PM is work, you can't just simply turn off your phone

Is this "always on call" approach really necessary? If you switch off, yes someone else might get that job. But then they won't be available to take another job the next morning. Surely it evens out in the end?

And surely even in "difficult" pairs there are some clients out there who don't do everything at the last minute, who are willing to wait for their preferred translator, who are loyal and recognise quality? If not, there's a huge gap in the market.

I don't expect my car mechanic to pick up the phone at midnight, and my customers don't expect me to.

This (Proz) is about the only 'social media' I follow, it's kind of sad as one colleague hailing from your neck of the woods has put it

If I was a paying member I would post pouting selfies daily to cheer you up, Baran. Maybe you should ask K.

Christine Andersen
Baran Keki
Rachel Waddington
Philip Lees
Geoffrey Black
Victoria Britten

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Just seen this on Twitter: how to recognize a translator.

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »