Caroline FOUQUE
Caroline FOUQUE  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 19:31
German to French
+ ...
Sep 10, 2019

Hi,

I recenttely got some some fake translation project/ and now I have some trouble to trust people.
I have been asked to translate a book. They want to pay me 50% upfront. Is it risky to provide them with my bank account (IBAN, BANK NAME etc)? Thanks for your answers. Best wishes

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 18:31
Danish to English
+ ...
Who's the client? Sep 10, 2019

If the client is a legitimate business, I wouldn't worry, but if someone just used a Gmail address to suggest they would pay you 50% up front just like that, I would run away screaming, as it would most likely be some sort of scam. Try to search the forums for cheque and other scams.

Philippe Etienne
Iris Schmerda
Grace Anderson
Jean-Yves Préault
Kevin Fulton
Michele Fauble
Christophe Delaunay

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Over-eager client may be a red flag? Sep 10, 2019

Caroline FOUQUE wrote:
I have been asked to translate a book. They want to pay me 50% upfront.

I've received advance payments for books, in fact I wouldn't start a project of that size without an advance and probably staged payments too. But 50% is quite a lot and it seems odd to me that it's at their request.

Have you provided them with a sample of your work? Do they know anything about your work? How did they get to learn about you? I don't need the answers to these questions, but I advise you to consider them. You know what they say about something that seems too good to be true.

Christophe Delaunay
Christine Andersen
Kevin Fulton
Morano El-Kholy
Tina Vonhof (X)

Alexandre Le Duc
Alexandre Le Duc  Identity Verified
France
German to French
+ ...
Same kind of offer for a real estate Sep 13, 2019

Hello Caroline,
Hello everybody,

I have just had the same kind of offer from a tm-town account which I haven't been using for years. The customer contacted me for a quote and agreed very quickly for a rather high rate, although I don't really have credentials in the field of his documents. Then he said to add the fact that he can't wire transfer money on my Estonian business account and that he wants to pay 1000 EUR upfront. So, it's getting rather suspicious, because what di
... See more
Hello Caroline,
Hello everybody,

I have just had the same kind of offer from a tm-town account which I haven't been using for years. The customer contacted me for a quote and agreed very quickly for a rather high rate, although I don't really have credentials in the field of his documents. Then he said to add the fact that he can't wire transfer money on my Estonian business account and that he wants to pay 1000 EUR upfront. So, it's getting rather suspicious, because what difference would it make to transfer money to any country in the world (he answered he's more conversant paying to France) and, to me, 1000 EUR paid upfront sounds like a lure to make me confident (might sound paranoid, though), but I don't see what's the catch if that's a scam. Maybe someone has had the same kind of experience before?
In any case, scrolling through the forum and seeing Caroline's post made me even more suspicious about that project...
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Search the forum for cheque scams Sep 13, 2019

Alexandre Le Duc wrote:

So, it's getting rather suspicious, because what difference would it make to transfer money to any country in the world (he answered he's more conversant paying to France) and, to me, 1000 EUR paid upfront sounds like a lure to make me confident (might sound paranoid, though), but I don't see what's the catch if that's a scam. Maybe someone has had the same kind of experience before?

As I already said, try to search the forums for cheque, prepayment, overpayment and similar scams, as there are already many detailed stories.

site:proz.com forum cheque scam

will do as search argument.

Typically a counterfeit cheque is sent to you or your bank and before it is returned as fake from the clearing, the scammer will have asked you to return money. A variety of excuses are used.

They know how to make the scam work in France, which is why they seem to target providers in France.

Any time you spend on work and any money you return are lost. You might even end up being accused of money laundering or have your account frozen because you are moving money around for dodgy people you don't know.

Time to run away screaming.

Alexandre Le Duc
Caroline FOUQUE
Grace Anderson

Caroline FOUQUE
Caroline FOUQUE  Identity Verified
France
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks god I run away.. Sep 13, 2019

Thanks to all of you for your answers/comments. Yes, indeed it was so suspicious that they did not even ask me for a sample translation!!!! So I have decided not to answer to her mails anymore although she/ came back to me to get an answer. Here is her email address for you to know:

jane rose

Kind regards,

Caroline

ProvenThai (X)
ProvenThai (X)
United States
Local time: 13:31
English to Thai
+ ...
Keeping Confidential banking information safe Sep 13, 2019

I agree with many of you here regarding scams. There are alternatives to get paid without taking unnecessary risks such as using PayPal, in which clients can choose to pay with debit, credit card or from their bank account without exposing their confidential information either. It protects both sides. There's no need to expose the confidential banking information to any client. Even accepting checks can lead to fraud checks as well.

Caroline FOUQUE
Luisa Ramos, CT

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
Local time: 12:31
English to Russian
+ ...
And keep running Sep 13, 2019

Caroline, you are certainly not a rookie but your registration in 2019 makes you a more likely target as, apparently, their dark system is aimed at the newbies, and recent registration must be one of the flags signaling a new potential "easy picking" on the horizon. Also, you've contacted them, thus confirming your active email. I'm sorry to say but both factors will cause more of the sort coming your way. Steer clear! When chosen, be sure you know "why" even before "by whom."

Caroline FOUQUE

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
PayPal doesn't protect the seller Sep 13, 2019

ProvenThai wrote:

I agree with many of you here regarding scams. There are alternatives to get paid without taking unnecessary risks such as using PayPal, in which clients can choose to pay with debit, credit card or from their bank account without exposing their confidential information either. It protects both sides.

Try Googling 'PayPal chargeback scam'. The credit card holder can contest that a transaction was authorised, in which case PayPal will take back the money. The seller will get no information or help from PayPal in such a situation. There is no seller protection of service providers.

ProvenThai (X)
ProvenThai (X)
United States
Local time: 13:31
English to Thai
+ ...
Agree with PayPal not protecting seller in case of chargeback if the buyer is not being honest Sep 13, 2019

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

ProvenThai wrote:

I agree with many of you here regarding scams. There are alternatives to get paid without taking unnecessary risks such as using PayPal, in which clients can choose to pay with debit, credit card or from their bank account without exposing their confidential information either. It protects both sides.

Try Googling 'PayPal chargeback scam'. The credit card holder can contest that a transaction was authorised, in which case PayPal will take back the money. The seller will get no information or help from PayPal in such a situation. There is no seller protection of service providers.

Thank you. Indeed, you brought up a good point there, Thomas.
From my experience, most transactions are valid and safe if buyer and seller are in good terms and authentic.

Would you mind sharing with us about what should we use for a safer business transaction?

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Due diligence Sep 13, 2019

ProvenThai wrote:

From my experience, most transactions are valid and safe if buyer and seller are in good terms and authentic.

Yes! Know your client. Find out who you are dealing with.

ProvenThai wrote:

Would you mind sharing with us about what should we use for a safer business transaction?

I think the key is to know who you are dealing with and evaluate if the whole thing seems plausible instead of beginning to negotiate with an anonymous Gmail (or similar) address whose owner claims they want a book or otherwise large document translated. How many consumers need a book translated? Why would the 'client' consider you the best translator for such a large job, particularly if you don't have much experience or are not experienced in the subject matter.

Use some good old common sense. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

It's possible to abuse nearly any payment method. A SEPA payment (euro bank transfer in or between EU countries) is fairly safe, but the legitimate account holder can still up to 13 months later contest that they authorised a payment and claim their money back (unless their bank can prove that the account holder did authorise it).

Choose your company wisely.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Giving your Bank details to a new Client

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »