Karen Marston
Karen Marston
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:30
Member (2005)
French to English
+ ...
Jul 9, 2009

I have been a freelance translator and interpreter for 10 years and think it makes sense for me to join one of the professional bodies, but I can't decide which to join. Any opinions on this?
Most of my interpreting is in the public service sector and I am NRPSI registered which makes me wonder whether I am better suited to CIOL but have not heard great things about their professionalism.
Suggestions would be welcomed!
Thanks

Peter Linton (X)
Peter Linton (X)  Identity Verified
Swedish to English
+ ...
ITI Jul 9, 2009

I am biased (an Associate of the ITI) and I have nothing against the CIoL, but one advantage of the ITI is that it is specifically for translators and interpreters and their needs.

That is why the ITI was founded 20-odd years ago, as a break-away group from the IoL (as it was then).

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Both Jul 9, 2009

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
I don't know about CIOL, but... Jul 9, 2009

I've been a member of the ITI for many years, and the subscription is worth every penny. I don't get involved in its events very much because I live abroad, but it's always been my main source of new business.

Andrew Steel
Andrew Steel  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:30
Spanish to English
Join both Jul 10, 2009

Join both, become actively involved (as with all associations, the amount you get out of them depends on the amount you put in) and in a couple of years' time ask yourself a new question: do I want to remain a member of both/one/none?

Also, remember that they're not directly comparable -- the CIOL is for linguists in general, whilst the ITI is specifically for translators and interpreters.

Yingjie Zhang

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ITI or CIOL?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »