Thread poster: Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Oct 19, 2023

There's been a lot of negativity recently so I thought it might be nice to give something back to all the hard-working people behind this site.

I'll start the ball rolling with...

1. KudoZ: An incredible resource, and such a clever idea to reward helpers with points that move them up the rankings.

2. Design: I love the colours and (old) layout.

3. Forums: Something there puts a smile on my face almost every day.

Zea_Mays
Lingua 5B
expressisverbis
Barbara Carrara
Michele Fauble
Stepan Konev
philgoddard

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 22:29
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
adding Oct 20, 2023

- The Blue Board

- The Jobs feature

- Profile options

- The Support (so far, I have had a quick response on ticket submission, just not for forums)

Edit: Regarding the layout, I prefer the old one, but it can be improved a lot.

[Edited at 2023-10-20 10:34 GMT]

Ildiko Santana
P.L.F. Persio
Barbara Carrara
Christine Andersen

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:29
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Not the design Oct 20, 2023

Ice Scream wrote:

There's been a lot of negativity recently so I thought it might be nice to give something back to all the hard-working people behind this site.

I'll start the ball rolling with...

1. KudoZ: An incredible resource, and such a clever idea to reward helpers with points that move them up the rankings.

2. Design: I love the colours and (old) layout.

3. Forums: Something there puts a smile on my face almost every day.

OK but not Item 2.

philgoddard

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Great topic Oct 20, 2023

I love:

Ice Cream’s sarcasm
Tom’s live spelling and grammar lessons
Baran’s cheeky long-form posts
Portia’s intelligence and writing style
Zea’s determination and her love for all things web
Henry’s approachability
Stepan’s technical knowledge and readiness to help

Sorry if I forgot someone, but I enjoy reading all forum participants’ points and constantly learning from everybody. Thank you guys.

Now clie
... See more
I love:

Ice Cream’s sarcasm
Tom’s live spelling and grammar lessons
Baran’s cheeky long-form posts
Portia’s intelligence and writing style
Zea’s determination and her love for all things web
Henry’s approachability
Stepan’s technical knowledge and readiness to help

Sorry if I forgot someone, but I enjoy reading all forum participants’ points and constantly learning from everybody. Thank you guys.

Now clients/projects:

Met some great clients
Did interesting projects
KudoZ is resourceful
It takes time to build a good/reputable brand and ProZ has a long tradition, hopefully it’ll continue that way

I’m sure there is more, but can’t think of it at the moment.

[Edited at 2023-10-20 10:44 GMT]
Collapse

expressisverbis
Kevin Fulton
P.L.F. Persio
Yasutomo Kanazawa
Josephine Cassar
texjax DDS PhD
Christine Andersen

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 16:29
SITE FOUNDER
I didn't expect this topic... Oct 20, 2023

... but I love it!

Speaking for myself and maybe from the perspective of the team, I love that for our job, we get to serve freelance linguists -- a group of people who, generally speaking, are humble, curious and multi-cultural, who love words and who don't need and don't tend to get impressed by a lot of spin or polish. And we get to do that as a whole team, made up of also wonderful people, who enjoy serving everyday people -- people who don't tend to get served by a lot of other
... See more
... but I love it!

Speaking for myself and maybe from the perspective of the team, I love that for our job, we get to serve freelance linguists -- a group of people who, generally speaking, are humble, curious and multi-cultural, who love words and who don't need and don't tend to get impressed by a lot of spin or polish. And we get to do that as a whole team, made up of also wonderful people, who enjoy serving everyday people -- people who don't tend to get served by a lot of other companies!

I've been doing this for about 24 years, and I have met so many wonderful people, among our members and within the company, I often wonder why I have been so blessed.

Thanks for the topic, Ice Scream, and thanks for the kind words Zea and Lingua 5B, and also, I'm pretty sure, Tom. Have a good weekend, everyone!
Collapse

Ildiko Santana

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
andrea Oct 20, 2023

Henry Dotterer wrote:

... but I love it!

Speaking for myself and maybe from the perspective of the team, I love that for our job, we get to serve freelance linguists -- a group of people who, generally speaking, are humble, curious and multi-cultural, who love words and who don't need and don't tend to get impressed by a lot of spin or polish. And we get to do that as a whole team, made up of also wonderful people, who enjoy serving everyday people -- people who don't tend to get served by a lot of other companies!

I've been doing this for about 24 years, and I have met so many wonderful people, among our members and within the company, I often wonder why I have been so blessed.

Thanks for the topic, Ice Scream, and thanks for the kind words Zea and Lingua 5B, and also, I'm pretty sure, Tom. Have a good weekend, everyone!

A shout from me for Andrea at Proz who recently helped me with a little BlueBoard issue. Thanks Andrea!

Henry Dotterer

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Nice thread Oct 23, 2023

Thanks for this topic Ice Cream.
Proz is educational.
Proz reminds me of my school days. It looks like I've stumbled into a time machine back to my old times. For me is such a nostalgic and pleasant experience!
I can see Proz as an educational site where I can learn the ABCs of the site and translation lives with the team and my colleagues.
We are like a class and our dedicated mentors are Proz staff members.
Who would've thought a simple and nice topic like this o
... See more
Thanks for this topic Ice Cream.
Proz is educational.
Proz reminds me of my school days. It looks like I've stumbled into a time machine back to my old times. For me is such a nostalgic and pleasant experience!
I can see Proz as an educational site where I can learn the ABCs of the site and translation lives with the team and my colleagues.
We are like a class and our dedicated mentors are Proz staff members.
Who would've thought a simple and nice topic like this one could offer me this enlightening journey blended into nostalgia and education?
Forgive me, but we have a remarkable capacity for longing or a profound sense of 'saudade'.
Collapse

P.L.F. Persio
Josephine Cassar

Josephine Cassar
Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Malta
Member (2012)
English to Maltese
+ ...
And personally Oct 24, 2023

The invoicing tool. I use it and find it handy. This apart from the other points mentioned by many others.

Baran Keki

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 23:29
English to Turkish
That's right Oct 24, 2023

Josephine Cassar wrote:

The invoicing tool. I use it and find it handy. This apart from the other points mentioned by many others.

But ever since they had this issue when emails failed to be delivered to their intended recipients (I had a major headache with one of my regulars when they failed to receive dozens of my invoices, had to spend hours emailing back and forth) I've been playing it safe and sending them through my own email address instead of directly from Proz. It's time consuming, to say the least. But I really can't trust Proz to send them safely for some reason.
So, you send them through Proz and have had no problems in the past year or so?

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Adding the contest too Oct 24, 2023

if it were run properly, with transparent and fair rules.
It could actually be a great experience, instead of frustrating and unfair for most participants.

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Serbian to English
+ ...
It does need to be said. Oct 24, 2023

The natural tendency is to focus on what can be improved.

It's good to be reminded from time to time of what is already good, and was so for a long time.

Criticizing what is not so good doesn't mean that the whole thing should be junked.

Zea_Mays
P.L.F. Persio
MollyRose
Michele Fauble
Josephine Cassar
Anna Sarah Krämer

Josephine Cassar
Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Malta
Member (2012)
English to Maltese
+ ...
None Oct 24, 2023

Baran Keki wrote:

Josephine Cassar wrote:

But ever since they had this issue when emails failed to be delivered to their intended recipients (I had a major headache with one of my regulars when they failed to receive dozens of my invoices, had to spend hours emailing back and forth) I've been playing it safe and sending them through my own email address instead of directly from Proz. It's time consuming, to say the least. But I really can't trust Proz to send them safely for some reason.
So, you send them through Proz and have had no problems in the past year or so?

No issues at all Baran. All the invoices I sent through Proz arrived safely.

Baran Keki

Dr. Matthias Schauen
Dr. Matthias Schauen  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
English to German
Visibility Oct 25, 2023

What I like most about ProZ is the visibility of my profile on the site. I get almost all of my new clients via my ProZ profile. This is undoubtedly due to a powerful SEO concept, with the site design and all our activity on the forums, polls, contests, etc., increasing the "value" of the site and hence the visibility to search engines. It works, and this alone is worth the investment for me.

Josephine Cassar
Tom in London
Zea_Mays
P.L.F. Persio
Ildiko Santana

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 23:29
English to Turkish
I don't get it Oct 26, 2023

Dr. Matthias Schauen wrote:
This is undoubtedly due to a powerful SEO concept, with the site design and all our activity on the forums, polls, contests, etc., increasing the "value" of the site and hence the visibility to search engines.

I've been occasionally checking the profile of one DE>EN translator that I came across while browsing the BB about a year ago. It intrigued me a great deal and I bookmarked it and I admit that I've been checking it almost every month, and it never ceases to amaze me.
This guy works in a very common language pair (German to English) and has a total of 8 Kudoz points. None of you have heard of him as he's never posted on these forums (or at least I haven't seen any posts by him in the last 3 or 4 years). But as of today his profile says "This profile has received 676 visits in the last month, from a total of 315 visitors" How the hell is that possible? I can't get my head around it. Sure, I'm getting a lot of views to my profile when I'm trolling on these forums, but they are all from curious translators, not from potential clients like this guy must be attracting to his profile (oh and his calendar always seems to be in red or orange, so those wondering why they're "having a quiet period workwise", here is your culprit!).
It stands to reason that my profile gets hits (from strange places like Groningen, Virginia etc.) when I'm active on this site, but this guy seems to be totally inactive and probably hasn't updated his profile much in the last 7 to 10 years.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Things we LOVE about ProZ

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »