LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:23
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
She's pulling your leg May 23, 2011

How long could somebody possibly pull that off? A few weeks, at best. Who would entrust someone who can't possibly have any experience or references to speak of with a translation large enough that it's supposed to take a month to complete?

I'll bet she's just jealous of your career and is making the whole thing up.

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:23
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
I agree with Rudolf - ignore it May 24, 2011

Rudolf Vedo CT wrote:

She's pulling your leg?

How long could somebody possibly pull that off? A few weeks, at best. Who would entrust someone who can't possibly have any experience or references to speak of with a translation large enough that it's supposed to take a month to complete?

I'll bet she's just jealous of your career and is making the whole thing up.

This was my first thought, too. I think it may be just a person trying to provoke you. You said you don't remember her - her identity, and the story of her school may be made up, too. Just ignore it.
Katalin

Jade Liu
Jade Liu  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 16:23
English to Chinese
+ ...
Such an easy thing? May 24, 2011

How can the customers accept her translation?

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 17:23
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Proofreading by a native speaker; it's as simple as that May 24, 2011

Theo Bernards wrote:

Samuel Murray wrote:

Here's a question for you: if you do this (run the text through GT) and correct only grammar errors (without reference to the source text or to the general cohesion of the text), would a client with a quality control system (e.g. back-translation, double-translation, etc) be able to pick it up?

Samuel, in two words: most probably, but I am not sure if back- or double-translation would spot it. The easiest way to spot such behavior is probably by running the same text through two or three well-known machines such as Google Translate and Bing Translate. and compare the output statistically with the translation handed in as genuine. I dare say, that if the statistical deviations are within a narrow bandwidth, you can imho safely assume that the translator is not what he or she claims to be. I am by no means an expert on such things, but a bandwidth of 5% brought me once to suspect such practices and when pushing for explanations, my suspicions hit a raw nerve (and as many of us would know, when being confronted about his/her dishonesty, playing the integrity card is often the first response of such fraudsters: "I can't believe you think I would do such things!").

Medical translations with Google Translate: it doesn't even border on criminal, it is criminal! What's next: a nuclear power station user manual with MT?!?

The simplest solution to spotting a MT is to have the translation proofread by a native speaker, if the agency is really serious.

I was once asked to do a proofreading job of a Japanese translation a few years ago. The agency sent me the the translated text, and after reading the first few lines, I spotted that it was MT. I told the PM who sent me the document, and asked her who did the translation. She told me that it was done by a translator who is NOT a native speaker, but claims to be very fluent in Japanese. I honestly told my PM that the whole file was machine translated and is useless. I completed the proofing job, which turned out to be a translation from scratch where I charged the agency the full rate for a translation job where they agreed.

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:23
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
If you're just curious ... May 24, 2011

If you're just curious about this person's identity (I would be!), why not ask her more about the primary school you are both supposed to have attended - teachers' nicknames, other pupils, significant events ... You could even invent a classroom incident that didn't really happen and ask her if she remembers it. If she says she does, then she's definitely a fake!
Just a naughty thought ...
Jenny

Adrian Grant
Adrian Grant  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:23
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Tall story May 26, 2011

JL01 wrote:

Abraham Lincoln said: "You can fool some of the people all the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all the time."

Come on, who was he trying to fool?

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Colleagues... or not?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »