jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
米国
Local time: 13:38
2005に入会
英語 から 中国語
+ ...
Jul 7, 2014

My client sent me a TMX, I connected it to Wordfast pro. I know at least 80% of a word document has been previously translated and all the translations were included in the TMX. However, when I tried to pre-translate the new Word file, I got nothing coming up.

Did I miss anything?

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
フィンランド
Local time: 20:38
2003に入会
フィンランド語 から ドイツ語
+ ...
Did the conversion succeed? Jul 7, 2014

How many units were successfully loaded? I just tried this with a tmx I yesterday exported from Trados 2007, and WFP did not succeed in importing a single unit. You could try other conversion methods, google for it.

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
2006に入会
英語 から ロシア語
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Try intermediate conversion Jul 7, 2014

Try converting TMX to WF text TM using wf2tmx or Okapi Olifant. Does it make difference?

[Edited at 2014-07-07 11:15 GMT]

jyuan_us
米国
2005に入会
英語 から 中国語
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your input Jul 7, 2014

I'm surprised that WFP support Team hasn't jointed the discussion about 9 hours after I posted this question. Last time I asked a simple question about XTM, their support guy provided an answer almost instantly.

[Edited at 2014-07-07 14:39 GMT]

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
フィンランド語 から フランス語
WfConverter Jul 7, 2014

esperantisto wrote:
Try converting TMX to WF text TM using wf2tmx

Wf2TMX is old stuff. The current version (by the same author) is called WfConverter. Just click on the link to get it.

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
フィンランド語 から フランス語
Contact the hotline Jul 7, 2014

jyuan_us wrote:
I'm surprised that WFP support Team hasn't jointed the discussion about 9 hours after I posted this question.

Have you contacted the hotline, via your personal account at wordfast.net?

Yasmin Moslem
Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
エジプト
英語 から アラビア語
Language Codes Jul 8, 2014

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

How many units were successfully loaded? I just tried this with a tmx I yesterday exported from Trados 2007, and WFP did not succeed in importing a single unit.

This could be the problem of the original sender as well. This happens if the language codes are difference. For example, if the TMX is from EN-US to FR-FR while the currently open project is EN-US to FR, it will not imported. TMX import in Wordfast Pro is very strict and you need to open a project with the same language pair locales/variants to be able to convert it. Later, you can use the converted (local) TM in any project with the same language pair even if the variants are different.

Otherwise, you can use Okapi Olifant:
http://okapi.sourceforge.net/downloads.html

Kind regards,
Yasmin

Yasmin Moslem
Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
エジプト
英語 から アラビア語
Hotline Support Jul 8, 2014

Dominique Pivard wrote:

jyuan_us wrote:
I'm surprised that WFP support Team hasn't jointed the discussion about 9 hours after I posted this question.

Have you contacted the hotline, via your personal account at wordfast.net?

Wordfast Support reps are not expected to answer questions on forums unless they have time. The right place to ask your question is as Dominique suggested: through the Hotline Support available after logging into your Wordfast account. They will be very happy helping you at any time.

Kind regards,
Yasmin

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
フィンランド
2003に入会
フィンランド語 から ドイツ語
+ ...
More flexibility please, WFP Jul 8, 2014

Yasmin Moslem wrote:

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

How many units were successfully loaded? I just tried this with a tmx I yesterday exported from Trados 2007, and WFP did not succeed in importing a single unit.

This could be the problem of the original sender as well. This happens if the language codes are difference. For example, if the TMX is from EN-US to FR-FR while the currently open project is EN-US to FR, it will not imported. TMX import in Wordfast Pro is very strict and you need to open a project with the same language pair locales/variants to be able to convert it. Later, you can use the converted (local) TM in any project with the same language pair even if the variants are different.

Kind regards,
Yasmin

I think WF should import all units into a new tm after I click on Add. In any case the software should do what the translator wants, not what the developer thinks is right. Many use one tm for all language pairs, because it only matters what the source is. You will not find German units in an English text, so it is not necessary to keep different tms for each source language. More flexibility please! (I have stopped using WFP because Studio 2014 is so much more useful).

jyuan_us
米国
2005に入会
英語 から 中国語
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I second you Jul 8, 2014

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Yasmin Moslem wrote:

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Kind regards,
Yasmin

I think WF should import all units into a new tm after I click on Add. In any case the software should do what the translator wants, not what the developer thinks is right. Many use one tm for all language pairs, because it only matters what the source is. You will not find German units in an English text, so it is not necessary to keep different tms for each source language. More flexibility please! (I have stopped using WFP because Studio 2014 is so much more useful).

Individual TMs needed to be created for many language pairs, which makes it very confusing.

Aelf
Aelf
ポーランド
Local time: 19:38
英語 から ポーランド語
+ ...
This starting to get off-topic.... Jul 10, 2014

... but oh, well.

In case I can't load a TMX file into WFP, I convert the file via Xbench, I actually use an old version, 2.9 which works well enough. I load the file, check assigned languages, then export it. That's all. In very rare cases when I need to do manual edits, I use Notepad++ (http://notepad-plus-plus.org/). With its extensive search & replace feature, surpassing many other full-f
... See more
... but oh, well.

In case I can't load a TMX file into WFP, I convert the file via Xbench, I actually use an old version, 2.9 which works well enough. I load the file, check assigned languages, then export it. That's all. In very rare cases when I need to do manual edits, I use Notepad++ (http://notepad-plus-plus.org/). With its extensive search & replace feature, surpassing many other full-fledged word processors, it's easy to edit a TMX file as needed. For instance I use it from time to time to "thin out" a TM I received with some superfluous tags.

Thanks to those two tools alone, I haven't had a critical issue with a TM for like 2 or 3 years.

Now let me address Heinrich's last post.

1. "software should do what the translator wants, not what the developer thinks is right."
I've never heard such self-centered opinion about any software. This is especially unjust as the WF devs have always been known for listening to their clients. (Of course one has to be realistic and not expect over night changes).
2. As you'd stopped using WFP and gave no advice to the OP ('cept for "google it"), you post is useless and you sound like a disgruntled ex-user. Howgh!
Collapse

B D Finch
B D Finch  Identity Verified
フランス
Local time: 19:38
フランス語 から 英語
+ ...
Using WF Classic Jul 11, 2014

I recently had a similar problem with WfPro and an imported TM, which turned out to have EN-US, rather than EN-GB as target. I managed to sort it out by uploading the TM to Wordfast Classic and using the Tools facility in that to prepare the TM, then saving it and uploading into Wordfast Pro.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast Pro doesn't leverage from the imported TMX

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »