Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: I work better...
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
May 28, 2013

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "I work better...".

View the poll results »

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:04
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other May 28, 2013

Not sure if I work better, but I definitely work more. (Well, I understand what I mean.)

Josef Šoltes
Josef Šoltes  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
That's a question May 28, 2013

My work is much better in terms of quality, when I am not under pressure. But when I am under pressure, I am able to do a LOT of work with average quality. Therefore I try to avoid working under pressure, because my clients expect spectacular quality...

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Ditto May 28, 2013

John Cutler wrote:

Not sure if I work better, but I definitely work more. (Well, I understand what I mean.)

Moi aussi.

ssmara_abdo2000
ssmara_abdo2000
Local time: 20:04
Arabic to English
+ ...
i work better May 28, 2013

ProZ.com Staff wrote:

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "I work better...".

View the poll results »

i work more under presure but i work better without presure

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other May 28, 2013

"Better" is such a subjective notion that this is hard to answer briefly.
Let's just say I am used to working under pressure and it gives me something to whinge about. In a pressure vacuum, procrastination can set in (like right now)...
However, I am happier working without too much rush-push.

DianeGM
DianeGM  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:04
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Other ... May 28, 2013

I've never worked without pressure, I can't imagine a working world without pressure.
Without SOME pressure - I doubt I'd ever sit down at the computer

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 02:04
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Pressure produces Adrenaline May 28, 2013

And a little bit of Adrenaline helps sharpen the senses. Too much, of course, makes you feel like these emoticons.

As John quite rightly points out, I'm not sure if I work "better" but output does seem to increase.

Is there a doctor in the house?

Changed last line

[Edited at 2013-05-28 23:47 GMT]

Steve Kerry
Steve Kerry  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:04
German to English
Under volume? May 28, 2013

I don't like working under extreme time pressure (who does?) but I do like having a big, meaty job of many thousands of words in which I can really immerse myself and "get stuck in" for a few days, with a deadline that is do-able but not too generous. Much better than piddling about with one-pagers.

Steve K.

Olga Adler
Olga Adler
United States
Local time: 12:04
English to Russian
+ ...
I work better than yesterday May 28, 2013

My daily 'mantra'. it's more important to keep developing your own skills and good qualities than to revel in your superiority (often questionable) over others.

keelin feeney
keelin feeney  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 18:04
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Under just a little pressure! May 28, 2013

Just a little pressure suits me.

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 22:34
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
The proof May 28, 2013

I am yet to complete many of the book translations that I have taken up for my own pleasure. Some of them are several years old and have not progressed much for the lapse of time.

This is proof that minus the goad of work pressure I am a very lazy and laid-back being.

Further proof is, I have never yet missed a work deadline, however razor sharp it had been set.

So I suppose pressure is a necessary ingredient to make me work.

Nicola Wood
Nicola Wood  Identity Verified
Austria
Member (2010)
German to English
I thrive under pressure May 28, 2013

and wilt when things are slow.

If work is slow I tend to feel quite low and everything becomes a drag, but as soon as there is a little bit of pressure on, then suddenly I start organisisng myself and it's amazing what I can achieve in a short time.

Mind you, I learned to love exams at school because it was the only time my class were ever really quiet, and, perhaps because I was so relaxed about them, I
... See more
and wilt when things are slow.

If work is slow I tend to feel quite low and everything becomes a drag, but as soon as there is a little bit of pressure on, then suddenly I start organisisng myself and it's amazing what I can achieve in a short time.

Mind you, I learned to love exams at school because it was the only time my class were ever really quiet, and, perhaps because I was so relaxed about them, I generally performed better in exams at university than in coursework, so I quite like that "exam pressure" feeling. In truth, though, I think the main reason is that my first instincts are more often right than my attempts to come to a carefully reasoned answer, when I will usually talk myself out of somethign that was absolutely right and end up making the wrong choice, so perhaps I do also produce better work when under pressure, because then I rely more heavily on my instincts (although I do like to have time to do adequate research when necessary).
Collapse

Maryse Trevithick
Maryse Trevithick  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Arabic
+ ...
Work = pressure May 28, 2013

Each job comes with a dose of pressure, otherwise no job gets done

Jenn Mercer
Jenn Mercer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:04
Member (2009)
French to English
Other... May 28, 2013

I work better under the loving, but inexorable pressure of a deadline.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: I work better...

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »