Páginas sobre el tema:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >
Off topic: What was your 'dream profession' as a teenager?
Autor de la hebra: Marion Schimmelpfennig
Rita Bilancio
Rita Bilancio  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:12
inglés al italiano
+ ...
an interpreter... Oct 9, 2006

As I was 12 I wanted to be an interpreter. And it's very curious but it seems that dreams can come true...

Sherey Gould
Sherey Gould  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:12
alemán al inglés
pilot - meteorologist - radio Oct 9, 2006

After the U.S. Air Force turned me down for pilot training at 18 because I did not have 20/20 vision (pilot - my absolute dream profession since as long as I can remember), I focused on meteorology (not like on newscasts but more for an official governmental agency, etc.). I think because I grew up in Los Angeles where nothing much in the way of weather usually happens and all the amazing facets and range of the weather (in other places!) fascinated me. I was in my second year of college when I ... See more
After the U.S. Air Force turned me down for pilot training at 18 because I did not have 20/20 vision (pilot - my absolute dream profession since as long as I can remember), I focused on meteorology (not like on newscasts but more for an official governmental agency, etc.). I think because I grew up in Los Angeles where nothing much in the way of weather usually happens and all the amazing facets and range of the weather (in other places!) fascinated me. I was in my second year of college when I realized that while the physics involved was a piece of cake, I would never ever be able to grasp the chemistry involved. Then I settled into many comfortable and very fun years working in radio (on and off air). The main reason I became a translator was because my ex-husband told me to "just try" being a freelancer (I hated my job at that time and I was already translating TV scripts for his friends in the business just for the fun of it)... now I like to say that I've been "trying it for just over 10 years now and it's still working...!" (Although I really do think being able to write well helps immensely and I acknowledge that I am very lucky that expressing myself/writing has come easy to me.)
As it stands now, I can and do consider this a dream profession for all it offers me as far as flexibility and being able to arrange my schedule around my kids. I sometimes think about how it would be like to work for someone else now... don't even know if I still could!
Collapse

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
Francia
alemán al inglés
+ ...
A farmer... Oct 9, 2006

As a kid I always dreamed of being a farmer. But then a teacher told me you needed to have a lot of money to be a farmer so I ruled that one out.

From the age of 14 (the first time I came to Germany) I dreamed of spending my life in this amazing country. My parents urged me to stay at home in Scotland.

As a teenager I dreamed of being a translator. But then at university I found that I didn't stand much chance of being accepted to the post-grad translation course as I o
... See more
As a kid I always dreamed of being a farmer. But then a teacher told me you needed to have a lot of money to be a farmer so I ruled that one out.

From the age of 14 (the first time I came to Germany) I dreamed of spending my life in this amazing country. My parents urged me to stay at home in Scotland.

As a teenager I dreamed of being a translator. But then at university I found that I didn't stand much chance of being accepted to the post-grad translation course as I only had one foreign language (you needed two for that post-grad course). So I ruled that one out.

Now I'm living in Germany, working as a translator (with a German translation qualification, not a Scottish one), and I have my own mini farm, with 4 kids, 2 cats, a dog, a passle of chickens, and whatever other animals come over my way. I'd love some goats or even a small herd of highland cattle, but my hubby reckons that's getting carried away. But sometimes you just have to hang on in there for your dreams to come true....

Collapse

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
España
Miembro
inglés al francés
Paleontologist Oct 9, 2006

I have always been fascinated by dinosaurs, fossils, ancient ruins, etc.
When I was 10-12, I used to own a lot of material about prehistory and knew a lot of names of long-gone creatures... that I have forgotten since.
Later I found out that I didn't like geology or biology, so I just discarded the whole idea...

Francesca Pesce
Francesca Pesce  Identity Verified
inglés al italiano
+ ...
Once a hostess, then a development consultant: translator? Never! Oct 9, 2006

As a kid I loved travelling so I decided I would be a hostess.

When I grew up I decided I wanted to work in international development and cooperation, "engendering" development programs on women's needs. But somehow things didn't work in that direction.

When someone asked me "why don't you become an interpreter?" I would answer that I wanted to be the person speaking and not the one translating other people's thoughts.

When someone asked me "why don't you
... See more
As a kid I loved travelling so I decided I would be a hostess.

When I grew up I decided I wanted to work in international development and cooperation, "engendering" development programs on women's needs. But somehow things didn't work in that direction.

When someone asked me "why don't you become an interpreter?" I would answer that I wanted to be the person speaking and not the one translating other people's thoughts.

When someone asked me "why don't you become a translator?" I would answer "Never, I would find it awful to spend my life shut in a room all alone with a computer and a dictionary!".

Here I am translating my life away....

Things change, people change, but I still haven't decided this is going to be for ever......
Collapse

Niina Lahokoski
Niina Lahokoski  Identity Verified
Finlandia
Local time: 10:12
Miembro 2008
inglés al finlandés
+ ...
Riding instructor, Actress Oct 9, 2006

As a teenager I wanted to become a riding instructor and then a bit later an actress... As a little kid I liked to play doctor.

Only later in high school I started to consider a linguistic career. It didn't occur to me that there's such a profession as a translator, so I thought I'd be a language teacher, but I don't really like children (or teenagers) that much.... luckily I found translation! I love my job.

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
Reino Unido
Local time: 08:12
ruso al inglés
+ ...
In Memoriam
Pilot Oct 9, 2006

The fourth in Marion's list. Like Sherey Gould, I wanted to be a pilot (in the RAF, in my case) from about the age of six. I joined the RAF at 15 as an apprentice and trained for three years to become an engine fitter, but hoping to go on to aircrew as many ex-apprentices did. However, I failed the medical on a hearing problem in one ear that I hadn't even been aware of. Not wanting to be an engine fitter forever, when the RAF advertised for volunteers to learn Russian, I applied, and that w... See more
The fourth in Marion's list. Like Sherey Gould, I wanted to be a pilot (in the RAF, in my case) from about the age of six. I joined the RAF at 15 as an apprentice and trained for three years to become an engine fitter, but hoping to go on to aircrew as many ex-apprentices did. However, I failed the medical on a hearing problem in one ear that I hadn't even been aware of. Not wanting to be an engine fitter forever, when the RAF advertised for volunteers to learn Russian, I applied, and that was how I got into translation, and also how I got the engineering background which has stood me in good stead in translation work ever since.

[Edited at 2006-10-10 09:22]
Collapse

LukaszPL
LukaszPL  Identity Verified
Polonia
pro basketball player, racing driver, translator, billionaire Oct 9, 2006

please, tell me the last two do not exclude eachother:)

Daniel Bird
Daniel Bird  Identity Verified
Reino Unido
Local time: 08:12
alemán al inglés
Antarctic explorer Oct 9, 2006

...so, having landed where I have, I can only counsel anyone who will listen "Follow your dream"
Nice thread!
DB

Magda Dziadosz
Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Polonia
Miembro 2004
inglés al polaco
+ ...
Geographologist Oct 9, 2006

it was a profession I invented when about 9 y.o. and it lasted maybe until I was 13. The I decided to be an interpreter, but can't remember really why...

Magda

Natalia Eklund
Natalia Eklund  Identity Verified
Francia
francés al inglés
+ ...
Child Prodigy>Travelling Scholar>Ad slogan developper Oct 9, 2006

Yeah I know....dreaming. I remember there were lots of movies about child prodigies when I was little, and I always wanted to be one.
Then I wanted to be Indiana Jones...I guess I was highly influenced by movies
But I seriously wanted to develop ad slogans, I loved the Alka Seltzer ad campaign 'plop plop, fizz fizz, oh what a relief it is'.
I kept asking my mother how I could get a job to make up stuff like th
... See more
Yeah I know....dreaming. I remember there were lots of movies about child prodigies when I was little, and I always wanted to be one.
Then I wanted to be Indiana Jones...I guess I was highly influenced by movies
But I seriously wanted to develop ad slogans, I loved the Alka Seltzer ad campaign 'plop plop, fizz fizz, oh what a relief it is'.
I kept asking my mother how I could get a job to make up stuff like that, unfortunately she had no idea.
Collapse

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
España
Miembro 2003
español al inglés
+ ...
Major League Baseball Player > Writer/University Professor Oct 9, 2006

Didn't quite make the first.

I was a teacher for several years, although only once in a blue moon at the university level.

Finally, I think I hit it square on the writer part. I love my job.

Maaike van Vlijmen
Maaike van Vlijmen  Identity Verified
Países Bajos
Miembro 2009
italiano al neerlandés
+ ...
still dreaming Oct 10, 2006

As a child I did a lot of theatre, so of course I went through the fase of "I want to be an actress!". In my teens I wanted to be a lawyer, or a judge, also a journalist or a writer... It took me a loooong time to figure out what I really wanted, I switched a lot in university, driving my parents crazy (my older brother did the same, he went from astronomy to history, to political science, to philosophy, to medicine...now he's a doctor - and still a philosopher of course). By the time I was abou... See more
As a child I did a lot of theatre, so of course I went through the fase of "I want to be an actress!". In my teens I wanted to be a lawyer, or a judge, also a journalist or a writer... It took me a loooong time to figure out what I really wanted, I switched a lot in university, driving my parents crazy (my older brother did the same, he went from astronomy to history, to political science, to philosophy, to medicine...now he's a doctor - and still a philosopher of course). By the time I was about 25 (I'm 29 now) I finally gave in to the desire to be a translator. I always had had that dream, but I never thought I could really do it. And now I am and I'm very proud of it, or, of myself. So many people said it wasn't possible (it's hard, you don't earn much, you have to be the best to make it, it's boring, it's not a real job, blablabla) that I almost started to believe them. Fortunately I realized in time that it was MY life and MY decision
I still have dreams... I would love to work with animals, and I would like to be a gastronomical journalist. So there's still a lot of work to do!
Collapse

Sophia Hundt (X)
Sophia Hundt (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:12
ruso al inglés
+ ...
Translator Oct 10, 2006

Interestingly enough, just that.

Roberta Anderson
Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italia
Miembro 2001
inglés al italiano
+ ...
flight attendant, vet, astronaut, civil engineer Oct 10, 2006

- flight attendant (actually, at the the time it was a "hostess")

- then a vet (until I realised I was a bit frightened by larger animals)

- then an astronaut (but nobody could tell me what I was supposed to do to become one)

- then a civil engineer - and this was almost it: I studied all the right subjects and got a place at university. But 1 month before start of term I changed my mind...

Roberta

Páginas sobre el tema:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderador(es) de este foro
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What was your 'dream profession' as a teenager?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »