steph_cuevas  Identity Verified
加拿大
Local time: 18:26
正式会员 (自2010)
English英语译成Tagalog他加禄语
+ ...
主题发起人
Reply Mar 14, 2010

Thank you very much again for the additional advises regarding the topic I posted on this thread.

To Ms. Elodie: The payment agreement was payment will be given after each set is completed. The project had 2 sets. The payment is long due now. It has been a month and I don't receive any email from him. The non-disclosure agreement is valid for 2 years as indicated on that agreement he sent to me and asked me to read and sign. Can I wrote his name and country here still?This is just t
... See more
Thank you very much again for the additional advises regarding the topic I posted on this thread.

To Ms. Elodie: The payment agreement was payment will be given after each set is completed. The project had 2 sets. The payment is long due now. It has been a month and I don't receive any email from him. The non-disclosure agreement is valid for 2 years as indicated on that agreement he sent to me and asked me to read and sign. Can I wrote his name and country here still?This is just to warn other translators because they might encounter this end client.

To Ms. Amanda: For the sentence "Unfortunately I will be away on business until late Friday, from tomorrow, so I won't know until then if/what they reply." that you wrote, the client told me a somewhat similar phrase while on the half-way of the project and then when he got back to his office he sent me the second set of the translation.

To Mr. Jose, Mr. Wolf Kux, Ms. Ariane, Ms. Elodie and to all other fellow translators who shared their views and dvises, thank you. I appreciate your help.

Best Regards,
Stephanie
Collapse

Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
英国
Local time: 23:26
Italian意大利语译成English英语
No names in forums Mar 14, 2010

steph_cuevas wrote:

Can I wrote his name and country here still? This is just to warn other translators because they might encounter this end client.

Sorry Stephanie, no outsourcers' names in the forums please: http://www.proz.com/siterules/forum/8#8

The place for this is the Blue Board: http://www.proz.com/blueboard/

steph_cuevas
steph_cuevas  Identity Verified
加拿大
Local time: 18:26
正式会员 (自2010)
English英语译成Tagalog他加禄语
+ ...
主题发起人
Thanks Mar 14, 2010

Okay Mr. Jones. Thanks

Best Regards,
Stephanie

[Edited at 2010-03-14 19:30 GMT]

amanda55
amanda55
English英语译成Finnish芬兰语
+ ...
Why not Russell? Mar 14, 2010

Is that against the law or would it result in a law suit?

Steph, pls PM me with the details, I will tell you the agency refusing payment. Ta.

Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
英国
Italian意大利语译成English英语
Because Mar 14, 2010

amanda55 wrote:

Why not Russell?

The explanation is here: http://www.proz.com/faq/3070#3070

Amanda, I would recommend you spend some time reading the FAQs. You are asking a lot of questions in the forums that are answered in great detail here.

amanda55
amanda55
English英语译成Finnish芬兰语
+ ...
I did read them Mar 14, 2010

But cannot find all the answers. Since I am new here, I probably repeat what has gone on before. I have been really busy in the last couple of days so I might have missed something, apologies for this.

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
英国
German德语译成English英语
+ ...
Lord Sugar Mar 22, 2010

The advice by Lord Sugar given here:

http://www.freshbusinessthinking.com/business_advice.php?AID=5120&Title=Lord%20Sugar%20Gives%20Advice%20On%20How%20To%20Get%20Paid%20On%20Time

seems to be perfectly relevant to freelance translation.

kd75
kd75
俄罗斯联邦
Local time: 01:26
Russian俄语译成English英语
+ ...
how should I prove my copyright Mar 24, 2010

[quote]David Wright wrote:

Thirdly, I made it clear to the client (an advertising agency) who was thinking about not paying (for no reason whatsoever - this was not a disputed translation) that I retained the copyright in my translation, and that I would be prepared to inform his client that they were not allowed to use it - which would cause him huge embarassment. He paid.

Dear David, can you please advise, how I can prove to the client that it is me who has the copyright? Which documents should I provide for this? I guess these might be agreement with the translating agency, invoice, etc. What else should I present?

And my second question is to all the colleages. Do you think it is possible to present only half of the project-receive the advance payment-and to provide the second half only after that? I mean do you think it is possible to do so with the new client? Or can I send the project in a jpeg or another picture format and/or use a water mark on it or something? It will prove that I completed the job, but on the other hand I will ensure the payment.

Please advise, if you find it ethical and appropriate or not.

Vladimir Shelukhin
Vladimir Shelukhin  Identity Verified
English英语译成Russian俄语
+ ...
纪念
Yes, if… Mar 24, 2010

kd75 wrote:
It is ethical, if such clause appears in your Terms of Service the client accepted explicitly.

Valery Kaminski
Valery Kaminski  Identity Verified
白俄罗斯
English英语译成Russian俄语
+ ...
ethical vs appropriate Mar 24, 2010

kd75 wrote:

...It will prove that I completed the job, but on the other hand I will ensure the payment.

If you agreed on that beforehand it would be ethical.

But appropriate...

Almost all the agencies need translation yesterday and send payment in 30-45 days.

One must be really indispensable to play such games.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
巴西
Local time: 19:26
English英语译成Portuguese葡萄牙语
+ ...
纪念
Great point! Mar 24, 2010

Valery Kaminski wrote:
Almost all the agencies need translation yesterday and send payment in 30-45 days.
One must be really indispensable to play such games.

What if...
... agencies paid us translators yesterday, to receive the translation 30-45 days later?

IMHO translators who get paid more than two weeks after delivery are interest-free money-lenders. Translation is just an excuse, the means for the translation agency to get that interest-free cash to live on, pay their bills, without having to pay interest to a financial institution. Let the translator pay interest to a bank, if they need money to live!

Of course, end-clients who keep an agency permanetly "loaded" with work, and the agency in turn keeps their translators constantly busy with that end-client are a different matter. No problem in setting a closing day every month, and a payday on the next month, so all those projects can be duly processed.

However I'm pretty sure that any agency demands up-front, or at least COD payment on the estimate from each and every once-in-a-lifetime drop-in client.

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
法国
Local time: 00:26
French法语译成German德语
+ ...
Quite right here Mar 24, 2010

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

However I'm pretty sure that any agency demands up-front, or at least COD payment on the estimate from each and every once-in-a-lifetime drop-in client.

This is even written in extenso in the general conditions of agencies, great and small alike...

话题中的页数:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to make sure clients will pay after translations have been submitted

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »