Privatization of legal interpreting services in the UK
Thread poster: Trans_Interp
Peter Shortall
Peter Shortall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Romanian to English
+ ...
PAC hearing Oct 29, 2012

Will the video be available to watch later? I do hope so, but right now I can't find it in the archive. Only managed to catch the last ten minutes or so live. What I saw was less than impressive - mumbling, stumbling execs feebly trying to explain away their company's misdeeds as an Anne Robinson-esque Margaret Hodge and her equally implacable colleagues fired questions to which they didn't seem to know many of the answers! In particular, there were some rather telling admissions about checks no... See more
Will the video be available to watch later? I do hope so, but right now I can't find it in the archive. Only managed to catch the last ten minutes or so live. What I saw was less than impressive - mumbling, stumbling execs feebly trying to explain away their company's misdeeds as an Anne Robinson-esque Margaret Hodge and her equally implacable colleagues fired questions to which they didn't seem to know many of the answers! In particular, there were some rather telling admissions about checks not being carried out... oh dear. When everyone stood up at the end, someone muttered "dreadful!" quite loudly!Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:15
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Yes Oct 29, 2012

Peter Shortall wrote:

Will the video be available to watch later?

Yes - they all are, at the same site.

One of the more telling comments came when one of the MPs asked about what would happen were the Ministry of Justice to terminate the contract, which it is entitled to do. This remark suggests that terminating the contract might be an option the Committee would recommend.

Certainly the whole thing seems a mess (with tragic effects, such as the Latvian accused of shoplifting who had to be kept in custody for 3 days because an interpreter could not be found).

But terminating the C(r)apita contract would require some sort of alternative to be in place; and that would be a problem, since the C(r)apita contract was already supposed to be an improvement on the previous arrangements !

And what about the CEO of C(r)apita, who can't even speak English properly ("them people" etc.)? Unbelievable !

[Edited at 2012-10-29 17:28 GMT]

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
Going to have to re-watch Oct 29, 2012

Peter Shortall wrote:

When everyone stood up at the end, someone muttered "dreadful!" quite loudly!

To work out who that was. 1st thought was Mr Parker as he probably still had his mike on - but even he couldn't be that st....

A more important question though, why has Parker stolen George Osborne's nose as depicted by Martin Rowson? And why is his colleague's name Loo? Couldn't have anything to do with working for C(r)apita, could it?

[Edited at 2012-10-29 18:16 GMT]

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
In someone's words... Oct 29, 2012

"Dreadful, truly dreadful".

Looking forward to tomorrow's instalment!

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
No more Oct 29, 2012

Ty Kendall wrote:

I don't think there's any more. The Committee will now need to reflect on the evidence it has taken, draft its findings, agree them, and then publish them.

Peter Shortall
Peter Shortall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Romanian to English
+ ...
Highlights so far Oct 29, 2012

Now that I've had a chance to listen to the first twenty minutes or so, one of the highlights for me has to be at 15:56, when numbers of languages are discussed. Andy Parker mentions that his company has "six hundred and seventy-seven interpreters which [sic] cover approximately twelve hundred languages." Twelve hundred?!! Good heavens. And then he helpfully adds: "Some interpreters can speak more than one language." He's really learned a lot about the profession over the past few months, hasn't... See more
Now that I've had a chance to listen to the first twenty minutes or so, one of the highlights for me has to be at 15:56, when numbers of languages are discussed. Andy Parker mentions that his company has "six hundred and seventy-seven interpreters which [sic] cover approximately twelve hundred languages." Twelve hundred?!! Good heavens. And then he helpfully adds: "Some interpreters can speak more than one language." He's really learned a lot about the profession over the past few months, hasn't he?Collapse

Lesley Clarke
Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 10:15
Spanish to English
Court Interpreting in the UK Oct 29, 2012

The issue is being discussed on "Today in Parliament" on BBC Radio Four tonight. Very interesting and sadly comic.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01nl67p

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
CORRECTION: there's more today (if you can stand it) Oct 30, 2012

Tom in London wrote:

Ty Kendall wrote:

I don't think there's any more. The Committee will now need to reflect on the evidence it has taken, draft its findings, agree them, and then publish them.

Apologies to Ty. There is in fact more evidence being taken today, but by a different Committee, the Justice Committee (i.e. C[r]apita's client).

The fun (?) starts at 0930 here:

http://www.parliament.uk/business/committees/committees-a-z/commons-select/justice-committee/news/court-interpreters-ii/

Ty Kendall
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
Gavin Wheeldon Oct 30, 2012

...is on the list of witnesses, so this should be interesting (and that's the main reason I'm tuning in!) I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't turn up though!

Ty Kendall
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
Aaaaaaaaargh! Oct 30, 2012

What kind of morons do they have working the technical stuff, no sound AGAIN!

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
No audio Oct 30, 2012

Ty Kendall wrote:

What kind of morons do they have working the technical stuff, no sound AGAIN!

yes- pathetic! I have sent them an email but who knows if anyone will read it?

Ty Kendall
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
Remedied! Oct 30, 2012

They seem to have corrected it! ....just in time to hear the "dulcet tones" of Gavin Wheeldon's unpleasant Manc accent

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Yes and Oct 30, 2012

Ty Kendall wrote:

They seem to have corrected it! ....just in time to hear the "dulcet tones" of Gavin Wheeldon's unpleasant Manc accent

Yes - though I don't think Wheeldon's accent is Manchester and I have no objections to regional accents, I do confess I'm amazed to see that one of the largest companies in the UK is under the control of a large farmyard animal with very poor command of the English language.

And his and everyone's favourite word seems to be "around".

[Edited at 2012-10-30 10:25 GMT]

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Before you know it ... Oct 30, 2012

Tom in London wrote:

Ty Kendall wrote:

Yes - though I don't think Wheeldon's accent is Manchester and I have no objections to regional accents, I do confess I'm amazed to see that one of the largest companies in the UK is under the control of a large farmyard animal with very poor command of the English language.

Before you know it, they'll be ROLLING OUT A WHOLE NEW RAFT OF MEASURES GOING FORWARD ...
as opposed to part of an old raft going backwards?
Blair may have gone, but his jargon lives on - what he might (not) call "his legacy".
Jenny

Ty Kendall
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
As long as....... Oct 30, 2012

Jenny Forbes wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

Ty Kendall wrote:

Before you know it, they'll be ROLLING OUT A WHOLE NEW RAFT OF MEASURES GOING FORWARD ...
as opposed to part of an old raft going backwards?
Blair may have gone, but his jargon lives on - what he might (not) call "his legacy".
Jenny

"Lessons are learned"

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Privatization of legal interpreting services in the UK

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »