Thread poster: DAlonso
DAlonso
DAlonso  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 10:05
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 8, 2009

How long does it take to get sufficient work to get a proper business going and make enough money to live on (comfortably)?

My significant other and I have been planning our future and he is going to start a MA in Translation and work as a freelancer. I wonder how long will it take him to have enough work to start our future together.

How long did it take you?

Aguas de Mar (X)
Aguas de Mar (X)
I am afraid I do not understand Oct 8, 2009

You mean to say that you cannot start your "future together" until your significant other gets "enough work"?

One has to first define "enough work"; then, one has to be aware that it make take several or many years to reach the self defined goal, or that it might never be reached. Why make a "future together" depend on such an arbitrary thing, and not in a couple's willingness to share a life, I wonder?

achisholm
achisholm
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:05
Italian to English
+ ...
In my case, Oct 8, 2009

six months.
I started accepting jobs in May and was lucky to have a client who gave me almost enough work to survive on, but I continued with my "day job". The reason was that, even though the volume of work arriving was sufficient, I didn't want to make the "leap of faith" with just a single client - if anything goes wring, you loose everything.
Over the six month period I gradually accumulated clients and had enough work, and a large enough client base to go it alone.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 18:05
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Six months to a year Oct 8, 2009

DAlonso wrote:
How long does it take to get sufficient work to get a proper business going and make enough money to live on (comfortably)?

Books and practical courses for aspiring translators say between six months and a year. In the light of the global recession you might want to go for the year figure, to be on the safe side.

I myself took the leap from salaried to freelancer after having done part-time freelance work for about 5 years and having built up relationships with a number of clients, and I had save up 3 months' living expenses, and a regular client landed me a job of 500 000 words, to be paid for in installments. That was enough for me. As it happened, the client took 6 months to pay the first installment (not his fault, the poor thing), but I was able to keep the ship afloat with quicker paying jobs from other clients.

My significant other and I have been planning our future and he is going to start a MA in Translation and work as a freelancer. I wonder how long will it take him to have enough work to start our future together.

How long are his studies? Is it a 1 year MA or a 4 year MA? I would suggest that he starts doing part-time freelance work as soon as possible, to build up a client base.

Samuel

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How long does it take to get clients...

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »