Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6] >
Two objections regarding TM-Town related advertising
Thread poster: writeaway
..... (X)
..... (X)
Local time: 17:55
#2 Jun 21, 2016

Re: #2 - why not just email Nate or myself? We would have fixed that within a few minutes of reading the email (instead of a week later after discovering this thread). Starting a thread in a forum we are not monitoring is not really the best way to alert us to an issue.

Kevin

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:55
French to English
True Jun 21, 2016

Michael J.W. Beijer wrote:

Yes, cloud services are inappropriate for confidential work, but so is any form of standard email.

Agree though that the link is probably a stupid idea.

True, as are lots of things. Working in public places for example. But let us not get sidetracked into a discussion of what else might potentially be dubious for confidential work.

The main point is the second. Half* the threads on here at some point contain the message that users must make sure their profiles are all tickedy-boo, else it can be little wonder that clients are not battering down our doors 24/7. Your profile is incomplete, and all that. Doesn't matter now - complete or incomplete, people are redirected elsewhere to search again with proz's shiny new partner. Still, glad you agree it's a sub-optimal state of affairs.

* This figure may not stand up to exhaustive statistical scrutiny.

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Apologies-but I had no idea that TM-Town was responsible for any of the Proz-related advertising Jun 22, 2016

Kevin Dias wrote:

Re: #2 - why not just email Nate or myself? We would have fixed that within a few minutes of reading the email (instead of a week later after discovering this thread). Starting a thread in a forum we are not monitoring is not really the best way to alert us to an issue.

Kevin

Hi Kevin,
I assumed since Proz is responsible for directing visitors away from our profile pages to TM-Town that any Proz-related advertising found there was also due to Proz. After all, they do own TM-Town now.
It would be great if you would reword the certified translator blurb to make it clear it refers specifically to the Proz.com site certification only. Thank you!

That still leaves us with #1, which of course is a far more serious issue, since it affects nearly every single person signed up on Proz.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Not only.... Jun 22, 2016

writeaway wrote:

It would be great ...

It would also dissuade professional translator organisations from legally challenging the right of Proz to describe its members as "certified translators" unless Proz is a recognised certifying body in all countries.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
This latest exchange Jun 22, 2016

writeaway wrote:

Kevin Dias wrote:

Kevin

Hi Kevin,
I assumed since Proz is responsible for directing visitors away from our profile pages to TM-Town that any Proz-related advertising found there was also due to Proz. After all, they do own TM-Town now.
It would be great if you would reword the certified translator blurb to make it clear it refers specifically to the Proz.com site certification only. Thank you!

This highlights very clearly the fact that we, the users of the site, have absolutely no idea who is running what here now, nor what the priorities of ProZ.com are. And I believe that paying members have a right to some clear statements on those priorities.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Rights Jun 22, 2016

I fear paying members only have the right to access the site and use the facilities it offers, but not the right to criticise how it is operated. In that sense the only right we have is the blunt instrument of discontinuing our membership, which would equate to throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

writeaway
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
ALL profile pages contain the notice redirecting visitors to TM-Town Jun 22, 2016

Tom in London wrote:

I fear paying members only have the right to access the site and use the facilities it offers, but not the right to criticise how it is operated. In that sense the only right we have is the blunt instrument of discontinuing our membership, which would equate to throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

The blurb at the bottom of our profile pages does not only affect paying members. Absolutely everyone who has signed up on Proz (except one I've seen so far, a Proz member who seems to be a trainer at CafeTran) has Alternate search option: Find translators on TM-Town - a new site owned and operated by ProZ.com (including link to TM-Town) added on at the bottom of their profile page. So no longer being a paying member won't solve any problems. Only leaving Proz altogether will. I'm not sure if that's the idea. Does Proz now only want people who are willing to jump on the TM-Town bandwagon?
I am not criticising how Proz is operated. I would just like to have the option to remove or request removal of the blurb that directs visitors to my profile page to TM-Town, a site I'm not on. Naturally people who are all signed up on TM-Town will opt to keep the blurb. That's fine.

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 10:55
English to Italian
Actually... Jun 22, 2016

writeaway wrote:
Naturally people who are all signed up on TM-Town will opt to keep the blurb. That's fine.

... although I'm on TM-Town as well, I'd like to keep the two things separate. Besides, the link does not redirect a visitor to my profile on TM-Town, but to its search engine, so, basically, to other translators...

Additionally, I'd also like to be able to remove the other link, that is to say: "More translators and interpreters: Pair 1 - Pair 2 - etc. More language pairs". Why does my profile page have to show outbound links to search engines to find other translators? ProZ provides an option to show your profile page without the navigation menu at the top of the page, but then adds those links at the bottom...

It doesn't really make sense to me...

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
Define "baby" Jun 22, 2016

Tom in London wrote:

'Twas ever thus, and while it has sometimes been frustrating, I can see why a website is not enthusiastic about threads criticising it. But its attitude to this and other aspects led me to stop paying years ago.

But those who do pay could justifiably wonder what it is they pay for (given that anyone can access kudoz; non-paying members can access the blueboard, post on forums, etc.). One benefit is, quite rightly, their profiles are shown first in searches. And now, when people find you (or me), this very website will be recommending those potential clients jump over to another website and search again. What is it exactly that you ARE paying for? What "baby" would be thrown out if you became a non-paying member?

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Oh, Baby... Jun 22, 2016

Charlie Bavington wrote:

What "baby" would be thrown out if you became a non-paying member?

Fo example, the pleasure of carrying on this dialogue with you (BTW as writeaway has pointed out, I'm referring to leaving totally).

However I do take your point. One reason that keeps me here is that occasionally - very occasionally despite my good Kudoz ranking - a prospective client contacts me and a relationship develops. If the TM Town thing has interfered with that, I may be gone ere long.

[Edited at 2016-06-22 14:45 GMT]

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
That's what I'm thinking Jun 22, 2016

Charlie Bavington wrote:
those who do pay could justifiably wonder what it is they pay for (given that anyone can access kudoz; non-paying members can access the blueboard, post on forums, etc.). One benefit is, quite rightly, their profiles are shown first in searches. And now, when people find you (or me), this very website will be recommending those potential clients jump over to another website and search again. What is it exactly that you ARE paying for? What "baby" would be thrown out if you became a non-paying member?

I was paying for that visibility; for clients to arrive at my profile in just a click or two and then contact me for work. I've been very pleased with the ROI from this site over the past 8 years or so. If those clients are now going to be encouraged to leave my profile to look at some list that a computer has churned out on the basis of some statistical analyses of data that may or may not represent the work of translators, then I'm paying €100 a year for very little. Maybe "infanticide" has to be considered as a serious option.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Well put Jun 22, 2016

It couldn't have been put better. Competitor sites have no doubt taken note of the new arrangements and may be looking forward to increased activity. Rather than throwing out the baby, perhaps it just needs a new environment.

[Edited at 2016-06-22 15:12 GMT]

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
ha ha ha Jun 22, 2016

Tom in London wrote:

It couldn't have been put better. Competitor sites have no doubt taken note of the new arrangements and may be looking forward to increased activity. Rather than throwing out the baby, perhaps it just needs a new environment.

[Edited at 2016-06-22 15:12 GMT]

And which would that be, these competitor sites? fiverr.com? TCafe? Aquarius? The truth is there are none to speak of.

Michael

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Perhaps Jun 22, 2016

Michael J.W. Beijer wrote:

.....The truth is there are none to speak of.

Michael

You've just spoken of several including two I didn't know about and shall investigate - thanks!

writeaway
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Oh! Jun 22, 2016

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

writeaway wrote:
Naturally people who are all signed up on TM-Town will opt to keep the blurb. That's fine.

... although I'm on TM-Town as well, I'd like to keep the two things separate. Besides, the link does not redirect a visitor to my profile on TM-Town, but to its search engine, so, basically, to other translators...

Additionally, I'd also like to be able to remove the other link, that is to say: "More translators and interpreters: Pair 1 - Pair 2 - etc. More language pairs". Why does my profile page have to show outbound links to search engines to find other translators? ProZ provides an option to show your profile page without the navigation menu at the top of the page, but then adds those links at the bottom...

It doesn't really make sense to me...

I agree with what you say. We have a profile page and at the bottom, Proz is showing visitors where they can find other language pairs, other translators in our own pair as well as another site. It seems that redirecting visitors away from our profile page isn't doing any of us any favours. And many of us are indeed paying for the privilege.
It would be nice to hear back from the powerz that be at this point. I realise this thread has been hidden away but surely someone is watching? Actually all I'm asking is for the links added by Proz at the bottom of our profile pages to be removed. In all fairness.
After all, I've never seen a blurb at the bottom of an Amazon page saying 'to see more offers, have a look on ebay.com'

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Two objections regarding TM-Town related advertising

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »