alessandra bocco
alessandra bocco  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:07
2006に入会
英語 から イタリア語
+ ...
Sep 24, 2012

Hi,
I would like to know if anyone of you works as a Front Desk Manager, especially for a US based biomedical agency...
This agency contacted me some time ago offering me this job, now the project is ready to start but I'm not sure about what to do...
For those who do not know what I'm speaking about, this agency mainly proofreads scientifc articles that foreigners want to publish on specialized magazines in English. European clients will send me their articles and, based on a
... See more
Hi,
I would like to know if anyone of you works as a Front Desk Manager, especially for a US based biomedical agency...
This agency contacted me some time ago offering me this job, now the project is ready to start but I'm not sure about what to do...
For those who do not know what I'm speaking about, this agency mainly proofreads scientifc articles that foreigners want to publish on specialized magazines in English. European clients will send me their articles and, based on a specific table the agency gave me, I will send them back an estimate of what the agency will charge for the proofreading; if the client accepts the estimate, I'll send the article to the proofreader and send the proofread article back to the client. It looks quite simple, but it's rather complex, since all goes through the agency's portal, the calculations are not straightforward and, more important, I will be paid per project, regardless of the time I spend writing e-mails, sending files etc..
Is anyone of you working, or did work, for this agency of for a similar one? Can it be profitable or is it just a loss of time?
Thanks a lot
Alessandra
Collapse

Alex Lago
Alex Lago  Identity Verified
スペイン
英語 から スペイン語
+ ...
Not enough info Sep 24, 2012

You don't give us any info to know if it can be profitable.

How long do you estimate each project will take?

How much do you get paid per project?

Answering these two questions is the only way to know if it will be worth your while.

alessandra bocco
alessandra bocco  Identity Verified
2006に入会
英語 から イタリア語
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not searching for an advice but for someone who knows the job Sep 24, 2012

Thanks Alex, but I mainly wanted to talk to someone who already did this kind of job to understand if it's profitable. It looks quite complex and not very well paid but, once you learn the process, it might be quite simple and fast...

Ana Maria Bustos K.
Ana Maria Bustos K.  Identity Verified
チリ
Local time: 23:07
2005に入会
英語 から スペイン語
+ ...
I applied for the same job... Sep 25, 2012

I have not yet had the opportunity to shadow other FDM's as offered by the project manager that contacted me. I signed a Contract Agreement and his answer was that he was on vacation and would not be back until the end of this month.

Sorry I cannot be of much help, it looks like you are a bit ahead of me!

Regards

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Working as a Front Desk Manager

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »