How does becoming a member to translation associations help you in profession?
Thread poster: Deniz Aker
Deniz Aker
Deniz Aker  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 10:41
English to Turkish
+ ...
Jun 20, 2014

Hello fellow prozzers! I recently became a member here and loving it so far. I hope I am not posting this in the wrong section.

As a first post, I would like to find out your take on the above question. Do you think becoming a member to such national/international translation and interpreting associations as IAPTI, ATA, EST, IMIA etc. help you in finding assignments, networking, etc. or do you use it as just a means of "CV booster" or of marketing strategy?

Thanks for
... See more
Hello fellow prozzers! I recently became a member here and loving it so far. I hope I am not posting this in the wrong section.

As a first post, I would like to find out your take on the above question. Do you think becoming a member to such national/international translation and interpreting associations as IAPTI, ATA, EST, IMIA etc. help you in finding assignments, networking, etc. or do you use it as just a means of "CV booster" or of marketing strategy?

Thanks for the replies in advance.

Deniz
Collapse

James Hodges
James Hodges  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 16:41
Japanese to English
Translator Associations Jun 21, 2014

I would say all of the above. From personal experience, having membership (and certification) from a recognized organization can help you differentiate your resume from the crowd. It can also help you if you are proactive enough to do sales calls on end clients yourself.

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:41
English to French
My experience as a new basic member of an association Jun 23, 2014

is that after almost 6 months in the ATA directory, I got one single contact who turned out to be a Nigerian-type scammer.

The reason for my subscription was to get a first-hand answer to your question. What I had read here about it was mixed, and I thought that to make up my mind, I would enroll.

So far, my membership has brought me a forged cheque (I played their game in order to get it). No harm done, but no added business either.

Did it help me in my
... See more
is that after almost 6 months in the ATA directory, I got one single contact who turned out to be a Nigerian-type scammer.

The reason for my subscription was to get a first-hand answer to your question. What I had read here about it was mixed, and I thought that to make up my mind, I would enroll.

So far, my membership has brought me a forged cheque (I played their game in order to get it). No harm done, but no added business either.

Did it help me in my profession? Not in the slightest so far. I assume that you have to be active in these things if you want to draw some benefit from it. I am not and don't plan to be at this stage. And maybe the ATA is more beneficial to those living in the US.

I also thought about that it would be nice to get certified, but the investment in time and efforts seems to be out of proportion with any expected return if you don't really devote yourself to marketing your services.

Philippe
Collapse

Michelle Kusuda
Michelle Kusuda  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:41
English to Spanish
+ ...
It helps you network. Jun 23, 2014

As a former member first of ATA and then NAJIT for a while, I can say that it helps you meet other professional translators and interpreters if you attend the annual conferences. Their periodicals are very informative, unfortunately, it never resulted in any job offers.

Michelle

Rachel Waddington
Rachel Waddington  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:41
Dutch to English
+ ...
Directory Jun 23, 2014

I have had work enquiries through being listed in the ITI directory. They tend to come from the better agencies who are looking for a good professional translator, not the cheapest possible rates. I've never been contacted by a direct client through the ITI directory though.

The ITI also hold some very useful events and workshops so has been useful to me for networking and professional development.

Most of all, it's a way of distinguishing myself as a serious profession
... See more
I have had work enquiries through being listed in the ITI directory. They tend to come from the better agencies who are looking for a good professional translator, not the cheapest possible rates. I've never been contacted by a direct client through the ITI directory though.

The ITI also hold some very useful events and workshops so has been useful to me for networking and professional development.

Most of all, it's a way of distinguishing myself as a serious professional. I think it has to be a good selling point that I have passed an entrance exam and am bound by a code of conduct. That's just my feeling though, in reality I have no idea whether customers care about that at all!
Collapse

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 09:41
French to English
ITI is great Jun 23, 2014

Rachel, in my previous life as a PM I found some of the best translators I ever worked with on ITI.

Only one of them ever let me down, all the others were excellent in every way, so that one bad apple must just have been the exception that proved the rule.

So if I saw a translator there, that was basically a great recommendation.

Michelle Kusuda
Michelle Kusuda  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:41
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thank you for your input! Jun 23, 2014

Texte Style wrote:

Rachel, in my previous life as a PM I found some of the best translators I ever worked with on ITI.

Only one of them ever let me down, all the others were excellent in every way, so that one bad apple must just have been the exception that proved the rule.

Thank you for your input. It might be worth pursuing ITI certification and membership!

Have a great day!

Michelle

Rachel Waddington
Rachel Waddington  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:41
Dutch to English
+ ...
Good to know! Jun 23, 2014

Texte Style wrote:

That's good to know! I do think the ITI do great work in promoting professionalism and encouraging members to do CPD.

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
ITI membership pays for itself many times over. Jun 23, 2014

I get a lot of new customers from their website, and my membership is worth every penny. ATA not so much, but still worthwhile. And ProZ is a good investment too.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How does becoming a member to translation associations help you in profession?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »