Sabina Moscatelli
Olaszország
Local time: 17:33
Tag (2004 óta)
német - olasz
+ ...
Mar 1, 2006

Dear All

I am an absolute beginner of SDL. I have just finished a translation but whenever I try to save and close my job I get a message: Segment no. 87 requires format painting. I correct it (restoring the source text and retranslating it). I try to save but... "Segment no. 88 requires format painting". I restore the source, retranslate it... but the story is always the same.

I restore the source text and leave it untranslated, but the problem will still arise.
... See more
Dear All

I am an absolute beginner of SDL. I have just finished a translation but whenever I try to save and close my job I get a message: Segment no. 87 requires format painting. I correct it (restoring the source text and retranslating it). I try to save but... "Segment no. 88 requires format painting". I restore the source, retranslate it... but the story is always the same.

I restore the source text and leave it untranslated, but the problem will still arise.

I have to deliver my job but can't save it! What shall I do now?

Thanks a lot.

s
Collapse

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Németország
angol - német
+ ...
Simply leave format errors Mar 1, 2006

Hi,

I don't use SDL very often, and when I do I just use SDL Lite.

However, when I get the message that certain segments need format painting, I simply disregard it and save the translation anyway.

Can't you just click on ok or something, and proceed with saving your work? I know it works in SDL Lite.

My 2 cents.

Sonja

Stefanie Sendelbach
Stefanie Sendelbach  Identity Verified
Németország
Tag (2003 óta)
angol - német
+ ...
Just do the Format Painting Mar 1, 2006

Hi Sabina,

I know, SDLX's Format Painting is something that has killed many translators' nerves. But actually it is not that bad. What I do is this (though I must say that I am working with an older version of SDLX, so yours might work slightly differently):

- Browse through the file and look for those segments that are marked green. (Green means they still need format painting.)
- Press Ctrl + F9 to get to Format Paint Mode. (If this doesn't work for you, simply
... See more
Hi Sabina,

I know, SDLX's Format Painting is something that has killed many translators' nerves. But actually it is not that bad. What I do is this (though I must say that I am working with an older version of SDLX, so yours might work slightly differently):

- Browse through the file and look for those segments that are marked green. (Green means they still need format painting.)
- Press Ctrl + F9 to get to Format Paint Mode. (If this doesn't work for you, simply go to the Format Paint tab and select Format Paint Mode manually.)
- Use the mouse cursor to click on a coloured word/sentence part in the left column and then click the corresponding word/sentence part in the right column. This way you copy the format of the original segment (left column) to the translated segment (right column). Make sure all colours of the left column also appear in the right column. You'll see that the format has been copied properly if the green mark disappears.

It really shouldn't take that long. I hope you'll be able to make it on time for your deadline.

All the best,
Stefanie

[Edited at 2006-03-01 11:18]
Collapse

Claudia Digel
Claudia Digel  Identity Verified
Németország
angol - német
+ ...
The file will be saved Mar 1, 2006

Hi Sabina,

Sonja is right, the file will be saved even if it contains wrong format paintings. The message that is displayed is somewhat unclear.

From what you describe, it might be possible that the missing format painting stretches over two source segments (87 and 88 in your case). In this case you must make sure that it also stretches over both segments in the target column.

Hope this helps
... See more
Hi Sabina,

Sonja is right, the file will be saved even if it contains wrong format paintings. The message that is displayed is somewhat unclear.

From what you describe, it might be possible that the missing format painting stretches over two source segments (87 and 88 in your case). In this case you must make sure that it also stretches over both segments in the target column.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Claudia
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finnország
Local time: 18:33
Tag (2003 óta)
finn - német
+ ...
Sometimes there is nothing to be done Mar 1, 2006

Better save the file and do the formatting in the target file after cleanup or what it is called. There are cases where it is impossible to get it right in SDL.
Regards
Heinrich

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Format painting Or: I am getting crazy

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »