Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 10:32
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Aug 8, 2014

Today I agreed to do a translation in SDL Studio 2014 for a Spanish agency. Now I read the PO and it states among other things: xbench control.
What do you think about this? Is there any value in this software, which Studio does not cover?

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:32
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Great QA/terminology tool Aug 8, 2014

Hi Heinrich,

Xbench is a great tool for translation QA and for terminology management. I find its QA functions much more useful thant those built in Studio or in other CAT tools.

Xbench 2.9 is free (and very well documented). Version 3.0 is commercial (i.e., you have to pay a subscription for it), but it has additional QA functions.

If you interested in reading why I consider Xbench one of the most useful tools for translators, you can
... See more
Hi Heinrich,

Xbench is a great tool for translation QA and for terminology management. I find its QA functions much more useful thant those built in Studio or in other CAT tools.

Xbench 2.9 is free (and very well documented). Version 3.0 is commercial (i.e., you have to pay a subscription for it), but it has additional QA functions.

If you interested in reading why I consider Xbench one of the most useful tools for translators, you can download a presentation from my blog.

The presentation only covers Xbench up to version 2.9 (it will be updated soon - I'll give a presentation on Xbench at the next ATA conference), but it should give you a good idea of what the tool can do.
Collapse

Marina Taffetani
Marina Taffetani  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 09:32
Member (2013)
German to Italian
+ ...
Xbench and Transit NXT Aug 9, 2014

Hi Riccardo,

I've just started using Xbench and I found your presentation very helpful.

Do you know by any chance if Xbench also supports Transit NXT files? I've done a search on the internet and, as far as I've understood, it doesn't, but I wanted to be sure.

Thanks,

Marina

Gordana Sujdovic
Gordana Sujdovic  Identity Verified
Serbia
English to Serbian
+ ...
Useful Aug 9, 2014

Hi Heinrich,

Even if not requested by TA. In case of having several files, large volumes projects (team projects), it shows mismatches of same source and target segments, repeated words, double blanks, etc. by files and numbers of segments.

If there are too many issues, after fixing them, run Xbench again, until you see that all are cleared.

Gordana

[Edited at 2014-08-09 13:19 GMT]

Heinrich Pesch
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Does it support Studio 2014 files? Aug 9, 2014

Or only 2009 - 2011?

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:32
German to English
Older Xbench support ttx Aug 9, 2014

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Or only 2009 - 2011?

I believe the newer (paid) version supports the 2009-2014 file types. I export my documents to ttx format and do the check that way since I user the unpaid old version. XBench catches WAY more inconsistencies than Studio, and you can export an Excel QA file demonstrating source text inconsistencies, "false positive" results due to client requirements, etc.

Gordana Sujdovic
Serbia
English to Serbian
+ ...
To have plug-in in 2014 requires Xbench 3.0 (not freeware) Aug 10, 2014

*We’re happy to announce that we’ve just released the Xbench plugin for SDL Trados Studio 2014 (build 11). You can download it from either our website or soon the SDL OpenExchange.
The plugin for Studio adds a useful icon to the Studio 2014 Ribbon that allows you to QA your projects Studio in Xbench instantly with a single click.*
<
... See more
*We’re happy to announce that we’ve just released the Xbench plugin for SDL Trados Studio 2014 (build 11). You can download it from either our website or soon the SDL OpenExchange.
The plugin for Studio adds a useful icon to the Studio 2014 Ribbon that allows you to QA your projects Studio in Xbench instantly with a single click.*

http://www.apsic.com/blog/?p=64

http://www.xbench.net/index.php/download

For beginners:
Simplified procedure for 2.9: → Open Xbench → Project → New; Add file (e.g. Trados Studio file) → Next, → Add (.sdlxliff file(s) → Next → OK → OK → Tools → Check ongoing translation (Tools → Export QA results) → Save as type: .xls
All is displayed, inconsistencies, numbers mismatch, and even false issues
Recommended to re-run after fixing.

Later it can be experimented.

As for question about 2.9 and Studio 2014, try it in the above way. It takes a couple of minutes.

[Edited at 2014-08-10 00:48 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-08-10 00:50 GMT]
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Gordana! Aug 10, 2014

I'll try it out in the way you described. Let's see what happens.

A few moments later:
Aha, xbench asks for a glossary. But I do not use any glossary. So it was some kind of joke from the outsourcer, or they put this on every PO. I will ask them what they mean with xbench control.
(Once on a long lasting project the customer used some kind of QA-software to make sure all was translated according to their glossary. But because in Finnish the term in the translation is alm
... See more
I'll try it out in the way you described. Let's see what happens.

A few moments later:
Aha, xbench asks for a glossary. But I do not use any glossary. So it was some kind of joke from the outsourcer, or they put this on every PO. I will ask them what they mean with xbench control.
(Once on a long lasting project the customer used some kind of QA-software to make sure all was translated according to their glossary. But because in Finnish the term in the translation is almost never like the one in the glossary, they got hundreds of issues every time, which I had to sort out and mark in Excel file that it was all right, only in a different grammatical context).

[Bearbeitet am 2014-08-10 02:00 GMT]
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Glossary not necessary for a QA check Aug 10, 2014

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Aha, xbench asks for a glossary. But I do not use any glossary. So it was some kind of joke from the outsourcer,

No, not a joke. You can throw in what you like. The sdlxliff file is essential (after all, that's the translation you're checking). If you add a glossary (termbase) then Xbench will check whether you've used the terminology defined in the glossary.
If not, it will check things like number inconsistencies, missing tags, repeated words, alphanumeric mismatches, etc.

Once on a long lasting project the customer used some kind of QA-software (...) hundreds of issues every time

Yes, I've had cases like that before. I remember one where an error was flagged if the target was identical to the source. My translation had a 30-page list of references, all identical in source and target. I charged by the hour to tick every box to accept each false positive error...

[Edited at 2014-08-10 06:33 GMT]

Gordana Sujdovic
Serbia
English to Serbian
+ ...
I had once to fix 100,000 w project done by 3 translators… Aug 10, 2014

Despite exchanging TMs, there were a lot of inconsistencies (I didn’t know about Xbench at that time, just got a long Excel from TA). I got it 4 more times:(

TAs have 3.0 which has more features.

Unlike Emma, I could not charge, because there were many issues made by us, translators. There were false errors, too, that I had to explain. E.g. in my language, *Name* is differently translated for a person and a company. Xbench shows inconsistency in source and target. S
... See more
Despite exchanging TMs, there were a lot of inconsistencies (I didn’t know about Xbench at that time, just got a long Excel from TA). I got it 4 more times:(

TAs have 3.0 which has more features.

Unlike Emma, I could not charge, because there were many issues made by us, translators. There were false errors, too, that I had to explain. E.g. in my language, *Name* is differently translated for a person and a company. Xbench shows inconsistency in source and target. S and N, for South and North remained; S and S, for Saturday and Sunday, are S and N in my language. Xbench sees it all as errors; I had to explain. We also have different endings for masculine and feminine gender, different endings of nouns and adjectives in declension,….

After this project, I found out how Xbench works and run it for each project before delivery.

One more note. When I get SDLX file(s), I find it easier and faster to work in Studio; I import them in Studio, run Xbench, fix issues, and upon completion, save as SDLX.

[Edited at 2014-08-10 08:57 GMT]
Collapse

Paulinho Fonseca
Paulinho Fonseca  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 04:32
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Thank you Riccardo, that was very kind of you. Aug 10, 2014

Riccardo Schiaffino wrote:

Hi Heinrich,

If you interested in reading why I consider Xbench one of the most useful tools for translators, you can download a presentation from my blog.

The presentation only covers Xbench up to version 2.9 (it will be updated soon - I'll give a presentation on Xbench at the next ATA conference), but it should give you a good idea of what the tool can do.

Riccardo Schiaffino
United States
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Not that I know, but... Aug 10, 2014

Marina Taffetani wrote:

Hi Riccardo,

I've just started using Xbench and I found your presentation very helpful.

Do you know by any chance if Xbench also supports Transit NXT files? I've done a search on the internet and, as far as I've understood, it doesn't, but I wanted to be sure.

Thanks,

Marina

Hi Marina,

As far as I know, it doesn't, but...

1) You can ask Xbench tech support whether they plan to support them in the future, or if there is any workaround for working with them

2) If transit NXT files are some sort of sdxliff format, you can probably find a way to use Xbench on them. For example even though Omega-T is not supported by Xbench, I found a way to run at least some of the QA tests on Omega-T projects (I'll document how in a future post).

Riccardo Schiaffino
United States
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
It supports 2014 as well as 2009- and 2011 Aug 10, 2014

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Or only 2009 - 2011?

Xbench (both the free 2.9 version and the new, paid, 3.0 version) support the sdlixliff format - so they do support Studio 2009, 2011 and 2014.

Riccardo Schiaffino
United States
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Yes, that can happen Aug 10, 2014

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Once on a long lasting project the customer used some kind of QA-software to make sure all was translated according to their glossary. But because in Finnish the term in the translation is almost never like the one in the glossary, they got hundreds of issues every time, which I had to sort out and mark in Excel file that it was all right, only in a different grammatical context

Ys, that can happen. That's why I recommend that the "Key Term" glossary (the one to use to ensure compliance with the mandated terminology) be as short as possible.

Marina Taffetani
Marina Taffetani  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2013)
German to Italian
+ ...
Thank you very much Aug 10, 2014

Riccardo Schiaffino wrote:

Hi Marina,

As far as I know, it doesn't, but...

1) You can ask Xbench tech support whether they plan to support them in the future, or if there is any workaround for working with them

2) If transit NXT files are some sort of sdxliff format, you can probably find a way to use Xbench on them. For example even though Omega-T is not supported by Xbench, I found a way to run at least some of the QA tests on Omega-T projects (I'll document how in a future post).

The file I wanted to check is no sort of sdlxliff format, so I guess there's no workaround.
I guess I'll just tell the agency (which normally requires an Xbench QA check on Trados projects) that it's not possible to do that at the time.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

xbench control, what does it mean

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »