Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Poll: Are you having problems transitioning to Windows 10?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jun 14, 2016

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Are you having problems transitioning to Windows 10?".

This poll was originally submitted by Muriel Vasconcellos. View the poll results »

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 06:39
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Other Jun 14, 2016

I've been left out and stranded, literally. I'm still using XP and am having no problems whatsoever translating in this antiquated system.

inkweaver
inkweaver  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:39
French to German
+ ...
Still using Windows 7 Jun 14, 2016

And I don't plan to change that in the near future.
I used XP as long as I could and I'm fine with Windows 7 now so why should I change that? Just because Microsoft thinks I should? Don't think so...

David Hayes
David Hayes  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Tried it Jun 14, 2016

I upgraded to Windows 10 last summer. I immediately had problems with the correct of functioning of Word 2013 and Youtube (no idea why these features in particular were affected). Microsoft support proved to be the most unhelpful, rudest customer service team I've ever dealt with. They literally cut me off in the middle of my support request. So I had to do a system restore and then decided to switch back to Windows 7 after a few days. I've not had any problems since, but I realize that I'll hav... See more
I upgraded to Windows 10 last summer. I immediately had problems with the correct of functioning of Word 2013 and Youtube (no idea why these features in particular were affected). Microsoft support proved to be the most unhelpful, rudest customer service team I've ever dealt with. They literally cut me off in the middle of my support request. So I had to do a system restore and then decided to switch back to Windows 7 after a few days. I've not had any problems since, but I realize that I'll have to upgrade one day. Has anyone else had problems upgrading to Windows 10?Collapse

Helen Hagon
Helen Hagon  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:39
Member (2011)
Russian to English
+ ...
My computer upgraded itself Jun 14, 2016

My computer kept sending me messages asking if I wanted to upgrade to Windows 10, and I kept saying no. Then, a few weeks ago, it somehow decided it was going to do it anyway. I couldn't use the computer for a couple of hours in the middle of a busy day while it did its thing, and when it had finished I couldn't find all the things I needed and one or two files simply refused to open. It's very strange, and I'm sure I didn't press 'yes' by mistake. Having looked on various internet forums I was ... See more
My computer kept sending me messages asking if I wanted to upgrade to Windows 10, and I kept saying no. Then, a few weeks ago, it somehow decided it was going to do it anyway. I couldn't use the computer for a couple of hours in the middle of a busy day while it did its thing, and when it had finished I couldn't find all the things I needed and one or two files simply refused to open. It's very strange, and I'm sure I didn't press 'yes' by mistake. Having looked on various internet forums I was reassured to discover it's not just me - the same thing happened to other people. Not being very good with technology I like to plan things like that beforehand to make sure I have all the information I need and have backed up files etc. before I start playing around with them. I'm starting to get the hang of it now, but I would have much preferred to keep things the way they were.Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Gone back Jun 14, 2016

Helen Hagon wrote:

My computer kept sending me messages asking if I wanted to upgrade to Windows 10, and I kept saying no. Then, a few weeks ago, it somehow decided it was going to do it anyway.

The sneaky sods made the red cross to close the message an accept button.

I had the same issues as you and then some, and have downgraded again.

Marjolein Snippe
Marjolein Snippe  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
No problems Jun 14, 2016

I got tired of the messages asking me to upgrade, so I tried it out on my laptop first. I didn't experience any problems, so after a couple of weeks I also accepted the transition on my desktop.
No problems (no advantages either) and because I did manage to choose the timing, it hasn't held me up either.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes, I [expletive sorely needed, but omitted] am Jun 14, 2016

It doesn't seem like all that long ago I was using XP quite happily, but that must be a few years now. Then, regretfully I was dragged kicking and screaming into the "upgrade" to whatever the next version was (not Vista, which I rejected outright on the basis of hearsay, which turned out to be a wise decision), only to find that my CD dictionaries wouldn't work on this flashy new 64-bit platform they'd stuffed down our throats as a panacea. I spent a few days angry and frustrated with the "ribbo... See more
It doesn't seem like all that long ago I was using XP quite happily, but that must be a few years now. Then, regretfully I was dragged kicking and screaming into the "upgrade" to whatever the next version was (not Vista, which I rejected outright on the basis of hearsay, which turned out to be a wise decision), only to find that my CD dictionaries wouldn't work on this flashy new 64-bit platform they'd stuffed down our throats as a panacea. I spent a few days angry and frustrated with the "ribbon" interface, because I couldn't find the simplest of functions which I had previously been able to find and use easily, but eventually I got used to it.

So, I've been working with W7, installed on 2 PCs and 2 laptops, more or less hassle-free for the past couple of years. Then, suddenly last week the monitor on my main PC started going wonky - the screen would suddenly go blank or covered in diagonal lines and the mouse wouldn't respond. I had to unplug it from the mains to switch off and then reboot, after which it would work for a while before crashing again. So, I took it to my tech guy to check it out, but he's run every diagnostic test can think of and it seems to be working perfectly, although all he did was clean the dust out of the casing with a vacuum cleaner/blower. He says it may have been a graphic chip overheating or something, but I had overheating problems before with an older PC and in that case the whole thing would shut down after running at high temperature for a while.

Anyway, I decided to buy a new computer while I was at it and he convinced me, despite my initial misgivings and citing complaints from translators like the ones already mentioned above, that W10 was "better" and that Office 2016 was also a holy wonder. We argued about it for a while, and he assured me that this combination would be perfectly compatible with my key software (Dragon NS, WF Classic). However, I've only had it less than a week and I've already had teething troubles. For example, yesterday I was translating a text (the client uses Open Office, but converts the files to Word before sending them to me) which contained a couple of inserted comments by one of the authors who had drafted it. Every time I reached the part where the comment was/had been, the dreaded little blue buffering ring appeared and after a while the "No reponde" (not responding) message popped up too. After several attempts, I had to chop the original document off at that part, convert that segment into unformatted TXT, translate it, then stick it on to the end of the previously-translated part. All in all, a minor issue, which I managed to deal with myself, but my own feeling is that this bodes ill for the future. However, either today or tomorrow I'll be going to pick up the old PC, which according to my technician is in fine fettle, so I can always go back to using that one if need be. I also have another backup PC running W7, although most days I only use it to listen to the BBC Internet radio and rarely for work purposes.

The only conceivable benefit I can see from the new PC and W10 is that I'll be able to run two monitors off it at once (or so my tech guy says), which might come in useful, but I'm not in any terrible hurry to try it out.
I suppose I bought the new PC partly to try it out, in the knowledge that I had a backup PC and a couple of laptops there just in case. It was also my birthday last weekend, so I can sort of consider it a gift to myself, rather than just a tool for work. I'm now thinking about buying a folding bicycle I saw in a shop the other day, which will probably turn out to be the source of much more enjoyment than the darned PC....

[Edited at 2016-06-14 09:19 GMT]

PS: As I was buying a new PC, I thought I might as well treat myself to a new, larger screen. So I ordered one, the same brand as the one I'd used previously. However, when I went to install it I found that the plug that connects it to the mains is now a different type, so I am unable to plug it into my UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply). Unless I am able to find some kind of substitute cable or adapter, either the monitor or the UPS will be unusable. The idea of the UPS is that when there is a power cut - as occurs quite frequently around here, the last one last night around 8 o'clock - an alarm goes off and the power in the UPS battery keeps the PC and monitor going long enough to save any documents and close any programs etc. However, without the monitor, the whole setup becomes useless. This is what happens with "upgrades" - they are not always an improvement on what went before.

[Edited at 2016-06-14 15:10 GMT]
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No problems, whatsoever! Jun 14, 2016

Just a couple of hours of adaptation to a different layout...

PRAKASH SHARMA
PRAKASH SHARMA  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 03:09
English to Hindi
+ ...
Windows XP and 7 Jun 14, 2016

Hi,

I have Windows XP and 7 on my laptop and frankly saying, I do not want any other version except Windows XP. It is the best version I hope.

Regards,
Prakash Sharma

Mary Worby
Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
No problems Jun 14, 2016

I've been running Windows 10 for the best part of a year and apart from the initial teething problems, it's all working fine [touch wood]. I hated it to begin with but quickly upgraded to 10.1 which has the same look and feel as previous Windows systems. I have a touch-screen laptop but have only occasionally used it in anger! Basically, it all just looks the same as it used to!

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Requested by user.
Seham Ebied
Seham Ebied  Identity Verified
Saudi Arabia
Local time: 00:39
English to Arabic
+ ...
Yes, I am struggling Jun 14, 2016

I miss Windows xp!

I installed W10 three weeks ago, but this annoying message (A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.) appears every time I tried to open Skype, and other programs

I am still in search for a solution!

Doan Quang
Doan Quang  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 04:39
English to Vietnamese
happy with W7 Jun 14, 2016

I am still very happy with Windows 7 and I do not have plan to upgrade.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
No, it doesn't Jun 14, 2016

Mary Worby wrote:

I've been running Windows 10 for the best part of a year ... Basically, it all just looks the same as it used to!

The first thing I found frustrating and then infuriating was that the little search box which used to be available down in the left-hand corner is no longer there. I eventually had to call my tech guy and ask him what to do if I wanted to run a search for a document by name, as I used to do in W7. It turns out all you need to do is start typing the document name and it goes where it is supposed to, as if by magic. Now, this is all very well, but if they don't tell you beforehand that this is what you need to do, you might end up like I did, going spare looking for that little text box you used to enter your searches in with the previous version. Then there's the "not responding" issue I mentioned in my earlier post - this never happened to me with W7 and earlier versions of Office. Another thing I find annoying is that when you click on the Windows icon down in the left-hand corner, where a handy list of applications and programs used to appear, there is now what looks like a soup of mysterious and largely useless icons, most of which I've managed to conceal or uninstall. It looks nothing like the previous version, at least not to me. When discussing this and other things with my technical guy, he said that the idea was that by "integrating" things, i.e. lumping them together, it's supposed to make things easier and handier for the user. However, when I've already been doing things a certain way for a couple of years and I'm used to my environment, making random changes just for the sake of it does nothing but slow me down and crank me up. I've been like a Rottweiler for the past three days... I suppose it'll wear off after a while... grrr...

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Are you having problems transitioning to Windows 10?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »