Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: I would take on an assignment over the phone with nothing in writing.
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
May 30, 2013

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "I would take on an assignment over the phone with nothing in writing.".

View the poll results »

Enrico Zoffoli
Enrico Zoffoli  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 07:16
Member (2013)
German to Italian
+ ...
I do it all the time... May 30, 2013

...but that's because I work with just a handful of trusted clients.

Tatty
Tatty  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
File sent by email May 30, 2013

As the file is sent by email, if they don't include the project details then I will when I return the confirmation. So, no problem, I agree to do translations over the phone. In fact, if I then looked at the document and didn't want to do it for some reason I would reject it. Until I sent my confirmation I am not bound, as far as I am concerned.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 06:16
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes, I would but only for certain clients May 30, 2013

I must say that I can't remember the last time I actually spoke to a customer over the phone: the preferred method of communication seems to be email!

[Edited at 2013-05-30 09:29 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
No May 30, 2013

How many jobs come by fax/post/carrier pigeon these days anyway?

Jana Kinská
Jana Kinská  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
I totally agree... May 30, 2013

Tatty wrote:

As the file is sent by email, if they don't include the project details then I will when I return the confirmation. So, no problem, I agree to do translations over the phone. In fact, if I then looked at the document and didn't want to do it for some reason I would reject it. Until I sent my confirmation I am not bound, as far as I am concerned.

So "nothing in writing" seems quite confusing when it comes to translation (not interpretation), I think.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Only for certain clients and with confirmation later May 30, 2013

NOTHING in writing?
How about the source text?

But assuming a trusted client needed a translation absolutely as fast as I could send it, and called me with a reference to some text I could find quickly, specified on the phone... I would probably start and agree they could send a PO later.
Perhaps if the e-mail was down, but I would still need the source text!

I have done the equivalent with mails, in answer to 'How soon can you translate the attached file an
... See more
NOTHING in writing?
How about the source text?

But assuming a trusted client needed a translation absolutely as fast as I could send it, and called me with a reference to some text I could find quickly, specified on the phone... I would probably start and agree they could send a PO later.
Perhaps if the e-mail was down, but I would still need the source text!

I have done the equivalent with mails, in answer to 'How soon can you translate the attached file and get it back to us?' - sometimes alerted by a phone call that the file is on the way.

However, in these days of broadband and instant e-mail... I would normally expect a couple of lines of written agreement, even if the formal PO comes later.
Knowing me, unless it was a straightforward no-formatting job, the client would do well to prepare a straight no-formatting file too!

I would only do it for clients who go the extra mile for me when I get into a tight spot. But I have several of those, and am happy to help them when I can.
Collapse

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 14:16
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Yes, sort of May 30, 2013

Even with well-established customers, a phone call to me would be to confirm my availability or to see if I checked an important e-mail. If I'm free, I will give them a tentative answer, and will then get back to them with a firm OK after checking content, deadline and other details.
And, with these customers, contractual details are already set in place.

Sorry, but the days of accepting jobs with a nod and a wink are far long gone.

Oliver Lawrence
Oliver Lawrence  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
You need to see the text first May 30, 2013

Even trusted regular clients may send you files that you don't want to translate (because they are outside your expertise, have a horrible format, have more words than you can do in the time available, etc.).

Ventnai
Ventnai  Identity Verified
Spain
German to English
+ ...
Not without source text May 30, 2013

I usually never accept anything until I have actually seen it. I have accepted a few short jobs over the phone from my main client late on Friday afternoon, for instance.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes, but depends who for May 30, 2013

From my regular direct clients, yes, because they know my conditions, likes and dislikes, etc. With agencies, I'd also usually accept work over the phone as long as my usual terms were understood to hold sway (no dodgy OCRs or unworkable PDFs, no cryptic undefined abbreviations, things like that).

Rebecca Garber
Rebecca Garber  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:16
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
That's a good way to get burned. May 30, 2013

Even trusted clients sometimes underestimate either the difficulty or the difference from their standard projects. Been there, done that, learned that lesson.

If the client doesn't have time to email the source files and discuss terms, then I don't have time either.
I have gotten requests for and accepted rush jobs. Source per email and discussion over the phone works really well in those situations. But phone only? No, thank you.

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
Exactly! May 30, 2013

Rebecca Garber wrote:

Even trusted clients sometimes underestimate either the difficulty or the difference from their standard projects. Been there, done that, learned that lesson.

If the client doesn't have time to email the source files and discuss terms, then I don't have time either.
I have gotten requests for and accepted rush jobs. Source per email and discussion over the phone works really well in those situations. But phone only? No, thank you.

Same here!

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
This might not be wise May 30, 2013

We are all only human beings and can, therefore, misconceive agreements or some of the affiliated terms.

In extremely urgent cases, and for good clients only, I have agreed to assignments over the phone on the condition that the documents be delivered asap and that the price is not a "firm" one. And never without an email confirmation of all the details to follow within minutes.

The terms we had agreed on over the phone, with reservation, sometimes required some adjust
... See more
We are all only human beings and can, therefore, misconceive agreements or some of the affiliated terms.

In extremely urgent cases, and for good clients only, I have agreed to assignments over the phone on the condition that the documents be delivered asap and that the price is not a "firm" one. And never without an email confirmation of all the details to follow within minutes.

The terms we had agreed on over the phone, with reservation, sometimes required some adjustments based on the actual work scope and/or the difficulty of the documents.

My clients trust me like I trust them, however, we are only human beings after all.
Collapse

Silvia Brandon-Pérez
Silvia Brandon-Pérez  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:16
English to Spanish
+ ...
But I always ask for written confirmation... May 30, 2013

You might say this has been the subject of some bitter arguments, so although I say yes on the phone, you better send me a confirmatory email before I actually undertake the job...

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: I would take on an assignment over the phone with nothing in writing.

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »