Przemysław Szkodziński  Identity Verified
Polonia
Local time: 04:31
Membro (2009)
Da Inglese a Polacco
+ ...
A similar predicament here Jun 12, 2009

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

...want to see my picture. I don't want you guys to have to spend a pile of money in plastic surgeons.
I meant that I want to keep you from sending me a pile of money and an email saying "Get a plastic surgeon for God's sake!".

[Edited at 2009-06-11 18:03 GMT]

I'm in a similar conundrum. Not that I'm unpleasant to look at, for I am a natural beaut (it's the Internet, of course I'm beautiful! ), but my face has got "criminal record" written all over it, or at least that's the impression I get sometimes (and not only I, heh).

Though it could be useful in case I got scammed by a non-payer... (*knocks on wood*)

Ivette Camargo López
Ivette Camargo López  Identity Verified
Spagna
Da Inglese a Spagnolo
+ ...
@ Paola Dentifrigi (about laser operation) Jun 13, 2009

Paola Dentifrigi wrote:

Some day I'll open a thread: eye laser operation? Anyone?

Ciao Paola,

Eyesight problems run in the family, so one sister and my Mom had both their eyes operated with laser. My Mom now has much better eyesight than I do, even though she is quite a few years older than me.:-)

From what I have heard from family and friends who have had the laser operation, it basically depends on the doctor and the references of other operations by the doctor. As long as it is a good doctor, it should not be too complicated.

I may decide to go for it one of these days, cause I am now both near and far-sighted, but I keep postponing it because I am kind of chicken about operations in general (long story...).

Anyway, if you wish to start an off-topic thread about it, maybe you'll get other prozians' opinions about this.

Hope you (and all) have a nice weekend,

Ivette

irina savescu
irina savescu  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 05:31
Da Inglese a Rumeno
one year old Jun 14, 2009

Lesley Clarke wrote:
Like Tomás I don't think my own photo would be very decorative, so I borrowed that of a great Irish heroine, Constance Markievicz.

I always wondered about this picture. Mistery solved, thank you!

Mine is the first picture I took with my new camera one year ago. I like the little snail and I don't feel comfortable about making my face known all over the internet (proz ranks too high on any internet search for me to take the risk).

matteo brambilla
matteo brambilla  Identity Verified
Italia
Da Inglese a Italiano
+ ...
3 years ago Jun 26, 2009

Graduation party!

Matteo

Jenn Mercer
Jenn Mercer  Identity Verified
Stati Uniti
Local time: 22:31
Membro (2009)
Da Francese a Inglese
About 3 months ago Jun 26, 2009

This photo replaces one that I asked my husband to take on New Years two years ago. The current photo is cropped from a visit to relatives and I just liked how it came out. Now I have it as my profile picture everywhere and I guess I'll keep it till I get a better one by chance.

Stephanie Wloch
Stephanie Wloch  Identity Verified
Germania
Membro (2003)
Da Olandese a Tedesco
Casual just below the belt ? Jun 26, 2009

What the photo doesn't show is that I'm wearing muddy gardening trousers under my suit jacket, and my shirt is not tucked in.

This confirms my suspicion about colleagues with suit and necktie here.

My actual photo is 10 months old and of course heavily photoshopped as I don't wanna scare away any aesthetic client.
I like to see new photos of you all, if you don't have any: just join a powwow and be kind to the paparazzi.

Stefania

Daniel García
Daniel García
Da Inglese a Spagnolo
+ ...
Photos by a professional? Jun 26, 2009

I don't use a photo myself, as I am not working as a freelancer but I have always thought that, if I was a freelancer, my avatar in proz.com would be part of my marketing and promotional effort.

After all, your avatar is a part of the professional image that you are showing to the whole world, colleagues and customers.

For this reason, I find it a bit strange to see how very few photos used by proz.com users seem to have been made by a professional photographer!
... See more
I don't use a photo myself, as I am not working as a freelancer but I have always thought that, if I was a freelancer, my avatar in proz.com would be part of my marketing and promotional effort.

After all, your avatar is a part of the professional image that you are showing to the whole world, colleagues and customers.

For this reason, I find it a bit strange to see how very few photos used by proz.com users seem to have been made by a professional photographer!

Daniel
Collapse

Gudrun Wolfrath
Gudrun Wolfrath  Identity Verified
Germania
Da Inglese a Tedesco
+ ...
A few weeks old Jun 27, 2009

I had it taken shortly before I became a (paying) member.

Yolanda Bello Olvera
Yolanda Bello Olvera  Identity Verified
Messico
Da Inglese a Spagnolo
+ ...
Aug. 2008 Jul 6, 2009

But since I'm losing weight and changing my haircut soon, I will update it by August this year

Nice thread!

Y

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spagna
Membro (2005)
Da Inglese a Spagnolo
+ ...
A wrong approach for today's business world? Jul 7, 2009

Daniel García wrote:

Hm... Maybe this is a "German approach". I mean that Germans always want to make professional things look professional. I'm OK with that and, having 50% of German blood, I share that point of view (that's perhaps one of the reasons I still don't have a picture in Proz... don't have the time to go to have one taken by a professional).

However, all in all today's world of business moves in ways that are far from a strict interpretation of traditional business relations: we use our customers' first name in emails, share jokes and personal experiences in our conversations, and the general ambiance in professional meetings and trade fairs is rather relaxed, at least in this world of translation. I haven't worn a tie in a visit to customers in over a decade, as quite simply nobody wears a tie in most companies.

I reckon that a non-professional picture depicting you in a good moment of your life (and thus showing a genuine smile) is perfectly good marketing nowadays.

Pagine:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderatore(i) di questo Forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How old is your photo?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »