Karina Decke  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:16
Member (2010)
Polish to German
+ ...
Feb 8, 2022

Hello everyone,

I'd like to pick your brains today and ask how you deal with translation of medical titles into English. Right now specifically I have Polish medical papers full of long doctor, professor and nursing titles and in Polish all of them are BEFORE the name. Example:

prof. dr hab. med. xxx xxx
dr n. o. zdr. (mgr piel.) xxx xxx

I am wondering whether to keep all the letters before the name or whether to put part of them behind the name. An
... See more
Hello everyone,

I'd like to pick your brains today and ask how you deal with translation of medical titles into English. Right now specifically I have Polish medical papers full of long doctor, professor and nursing titles and in Polish all of them are BEFORE the name. Example:

prof. dr hab. med. xxx xxx
dr n. o. zdr. (mgr piel.) xxx xxx

I am wondering whether to keep all the letters before the name or whether to put part of them behind the name. And if I put them behind the name, which part?

Prof. Dr xxx xxx dr hab. med.?
Prof. xxx xxx dr. hab. med?

I would appreciate your thoughts and experience in handling this. Thank you in advance.
Collapse

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 11:16
German to Swedish
+ ...
Native Feb 8, 2022

You phrase it so that it doesn't come across as a translation. Follow whatever is the custom in the target language.
For inspiration you can consult British hospital or university web pages, or articles in scientific journals.
EU directive 2005/36/EC with appendices might be useful.

Tina Vonhof (X)
Philip Lees

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation of international medical titles into English

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »