Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
a bug in Google? Hits for text NOT containing the searched string ...
Thread poster: Patricia Rosas
PierreND
PierreND
France
Local time: 22:36
English to French
+ ...
How is it possible? Mar 2, 2010

Here are some ideas, IMO :
-> some websites use many keywords into the description of the pages (see the html code of the pages).
-> some websites use keywords that are printed on your screen but invisible (white font over white background...).
-> some websites are only aggregations of other ressources : they evolve (rapidly) with time and Google won't check every page every day.
-> with your search, try to get to the 1000 result. I bet it's impossible, Google will stop p
... See more
Here are some ideas, IMO :
-> some websites use many keywords into the description of the pages (see the html code of the pages).
-> some websites use keywords that are printed on your screen but invisible (white font over white background...).
-> some websites are only aggregations of other ressources : they evolve (rapidly) with time and Google won't check every page every day.
-> with your search, try to get to the 1000 result. I bet it's impossible, Google will stop publishing results after 140 results (at least I got that result). Why ? Because many results come from only a few websites.

Very often no more than the first dozens of results are relevant.
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 23:36
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Not here Mar 2, 2010

When I past your search string into Chrome I get only 4 results.
Regards
Heinrich

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 05:36
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Me too Mar 2, 2010

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

When I past your search string into Chrome I get only 4 results.
Regards
Heinrich

I get 655,500 hits, where only 4 hits contain the phrase in question. And 2 of them are from this forum...

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
bug in Chrome? Mar 2, 2010

In Chrome: I get 287,000 hits when I enter "peer into the actions of" (with quotes) in Google.
With Pablo's link I get 4.

IN Internet Explorer get 4 hits when I enter "peer into the actions of" (with quotes) in Google.
With Pablo's link I also get 4.
???

Joy Phillips
Joy Phillips
Netherlands
Dutch to English
Not just in Chrome, also in Opera Mar 2, 2010

I use Opera and get 289,000 hits when I enter "peer into the actions of" (with quotes) in Google.
The link provided by Pablo returns 6 hits, including the two pages of this discussion.

The last link that was marked as a unique hit is number 139. It does not contain the search string, but it does contain "peer into the".

I had a similar bug in Chrome a couple weeks ago, but I thought I had just mistyped something because I had 7 or 8 tabs open. It's almost as if th
... See more
I use Opera and get 289,000 hits when I enter "peer into the actions of" (with quotes) in Google.
The link provided by Pablo returns 6 hits, including the two pages of this discussion.

The last link that was marked as a unique hit is number 139. It does not contain the search string, but it does contain "peer into the".

I had a similar bug in Chrome a couple weeks ago, but I thought I had just mistyped something because I had 7 or 8 tabs open. It's almost as if the "suggested relevance" function in Google has spilled over into the exact search string function - but how odd that it would be different in different browsers!
Collapse

Luisa Ramos, CT
Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:36
English to Spanish
Plain Google Mar 2, 2010

I am not using Chrome and I have the same problem. Using plain Google, I just got a few true hits at the top and a bunch (actually close to 290000) of garbage thereon.

Patricia Rosas
Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:36
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
thanks for your responses! Mar 2, 2010

I'm so grateful to know that this problem isn't unique to me!

Yesterday, I began nosing around Google to see where I could go to report the problem, but I couldn't find any way to communicate directly with the company! I didn't spend a huge amount of time, so depending on my workload today, I'll try to look further to find some means for reporting this bug.

If any of you know how to do report a problem to Google, please post the info here. If we could ALL report it, we
... See more
I'm so grateful to know that this problem isn't unique to me!

Yesterday, I began nosing around Google to see where I could go to report the problem, but I couldn't find any way to communicate directly with the company! I didn't spend a huge amount of time, so depending on my workload today, I'll try to look further to find some means for reporting this bug.

If any of you know how to do report a problem to Google, please post the info here. If we could ALL report it, we might be "heard" more quickly.

Thanks again!!
Patricia
Collapse

Krzysztof Kajetanowicz (X)
Krzysztof Kajetanowicz (X)  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
another bug? Mar 2, 2010

Has it happened to you that adding a "without" term (i.e. one with a minus) increases the number of hits?

6 970 000 hits for laboratorium:
... See more
Has it happened to you that adding a "without" term (i.e. one with a minus) increases the number of hits?

http://www.google.pl/search?hl=pl&client=firefox-a&hs=YRp&rls=org.mozilla:pl:official&q=laboratorium&btnG=Szukaj&lr=&aq=f&oq=

7 570 000 hits for laboratorium WITHOUT labolatorium:

http://www.google.pl/search?hl=pl&client=firefox-a&hs=SRp&rls=org.mozilla:pl:official&q=+laboratorium%20-labolatorium&btnG=Szukaj&lr=&aq=f&oq=
Collapse

Patricia Rosas
Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:36
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
just tried it and ... Mar 2, 2010

Krzysztof Kajetanowicz wrote:

http://www.google.pl/search?hl=pl&client=firefox-a&hs=YRp&rls=org.mozilla:pl:official&q=laboratorium&btnG=Szukaj&lr=&aq=f&oq=

7 570 000 hits for laboratorium WITHOUT labolatorium:

http://www.google.pl/search?hl=pl&client=firefox-a&hs=SRp&rls=org.mozilla:pl:official&q=+laboratorium%20-labolatorium&btnG=Szukaj&lr=&aq=f&oq=

the same thing happens to me. That is really weird!! I just tried it with "Brittany" and then "Brittany -spaniel" and I got millions more hits on the second search. You'd think Google would be working hard to correct these problems!

Thanks for sharing the information!

Patricia

Dr. Matthias Schauen
Dr. Matthias Schauen  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
English to German
More hits with restricting the search Mar 2, 2010

Something similar to what Krzysztov wrote today at 16:44 has happened to me a few times: When restricting a search to "site:de", the number of hits increased! And not only the large number of hits reported initially at the top of the page, but also the number of actually reachable pages (cf. PierreND at 01:49 today).
In the last couple of months, the usefulness of the Google Search for me has rapidly declined.

Pablo Bouvier
Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
German to Spanish
+ ...
a bug in Google? Hits for text NOT containing the searched string ... Mar 2, 2010

PierreND wrote:

So far I know, this is strictly penalised by Google today and if they are aware your page will be banned from his search engine.

Pablo Bouvier
German to Spanish
+ ...
Googleplex data... Mar 3, 2010

Patricia Rosas wrote:

Hi, everybody,

In the past few days, I've noticed something very odd with Google (I'm using Google Chrome to do my searches).

I type in a phrase, and I get say, 1 million hits, but when I look them, one or two (or in one case, 14) contain the string I used to search, and NONE of the rest of the hits contain it.

For example, I just searched on (in quotations) "peer into the actions of". The returned page says there are 290,000 hits. The first two contain that string, but none of the others do (even when I go to the pages that follow).

This has happened several times. Has anyone else noticed this?

Thanks!!
Patricia

Google Inc.
1600 Amphitheatre Parkway
Mountain View, CA 94043
Teléfono: +1 650-253-0000
Fax: +1 650-253-0001

Dr. Matthias Schauen
Dr. Matthias Schauen  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
English to German
Customized search results Mar 3, 2010

I may have found the problem. Quote from Google Help:

In the past, the only way to receive better results was to sign up for personalized search. Now, you can get customized results whenever you use Google.
(http://www.google.com/support/accounts/bin/answer.py?answer=54041&hl=en )

You will find instructions on how to opt-out of
... See more
I may have found the problem. Quote from Google Help:

In the past, the only way to receive better results was to sign up for personalized search. Now, you can get customized results whenever you use Google.
(http://www.google.com/support/accounts/bin/answer.py?answer=54041&hl=en )

You will find instructions on how to opt-out of this on the same help page.

Google also advises you to empty your cache if you experience problems like bad search results.

[Edited at 2010-03-03 11:43 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-03-03 11:43 GMT]
Collapse

EHI (X)
EHI (X)
thanks Mar 4, 2010

Dr. Matthias Schauen wrote:
Google also advises you to empty your cache if you experience problems like bad search results.

Thanks for that Matthias.
I had not signed up for personalized searches, but clearing my cache seems to have solved the problem.

Pablo Bouvier
German to Spanish
+ ...
a bug in Google? Hits for text NOT containing the searched string ... Mar 4, 2010

Lutz Molderings wrote:

Dr. Matthias Schauen wrote:

Thanks for that Matthias.
I had not signed up for personalized searches, but clearing my cache seems to have solved the problem.

Amazed that to clean the cache was working

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

a bug in Google? Hits for text NOT containing the searched string ...

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »