Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:18
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Completely agree Dec 10, 2008

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:
You see, this is what I always find strange about your threads, Felipe. You are not here to have a discussion - you are here to twist people's arms. The strangest about it is that most of those people already told you they are not interested in arm-twisting, yet you keep going. You even add bits of "you'll be sorry" into the mix.

I completely agree: according to Felipe, either we like the project and are willing to participate, or... we are bad translators, we will be sorry, we will be missing a huge opportunity, etc. etc. Arm-twisting indeed. Not for me, thanks!!

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 09:18
German to English
+ ...
Utterly irrelevant Dec 10, 2008

I've followed all the babble about super memories and such for months now, though I'll admit to skimming the posts, because I find most of it uninteresting. Even if this mess lives up to Felipe's predictions, it will still be irrelevant to most of us I suspect. If someone wants to confuse Burger King with fine dining, that's his right, but I'll go for the more expensive slow food, thank you.

I get offered memories cobbled together from the work of other translators all the time. Mo
... See more
I've followed all the babble about super memories and such for months now, though I'll admit to skimming the posts, because I find most of it uninteresting. Even if this mess lives up to Felipe's predictions, it will still be irrelevant to most of us I suspect. If someone wants to confuse Burger King with fine dining, that's his right, but I'll go for the more expensive slow food, thank you.

I get offered memories cobbled together from the work of other translators all the time. Mostly I ignore them, because I find them substandard. Why would even larger memories filled with more trash cause me to be interested suddenly? To suggest it would seems to me to be evidence of a major mental short circuit.

There are so many useful avenues to pursue in supporting my work as a translator, such as corpora research using sources I select carefully for their quality. I get the terminology and the context I need from this - the rest is just monkey typing and takes very little time even with the one-finger method. Even less if I get around to upgrading my old DNS license. How will a "super TM" compiled by a bunch of unknowns offer me more than a collection of high-quality, specialized reference documents? Can anyone seriously suggest it would? If so, I would suggest that person is ready to be fitted with a straightjacket or s/he simply hasn't thought things through or isn't capable of doing so.
Collapse

Felipe Gútiez Velasco
Felipe Gútiez Velasco
Germany
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
New way of calculating fees. I like provocating, you know Dec 10, 2008

I can think of dealing in short time with this kind of things:
-100% Trados matches (client TM) so much money 20%
-100% GlobalTM/Genus/species so much money 40%
-100% Global TM/Genus so much money 60%
-100% Global TM so much money 80%

What are you going to do if you have no access to the global TM?

As for your question about quality. Don´t you think that a global organization with 400.000 US$(s
... See more
I can think of dealing in short time with this kind of things:
-100% Trados matches (client TM) so much money 20%
-100% GlobalTM/Genus/species so much money 40%
-100% Global TM/Genus so much money 60%
-100% Global TM so much money 80%

What are you going to do if you have no access to the global TM?

As for your question about quality. Don´t you think that a global organization with 400.000 US$(start capital) can make the necessary arrangements in order to guarantee top quality?
There are lots of thinking about quality assurance, some of them in good direction it seems.

As for the personal allusions. As I said some months ago, whatever is said about me personally is for me absolutely irrelevant, I take myself not seriously at all, so, in that direction you can do whatever you like. I don´t care.

By the way, if someone has a good idea there is a company that can help you to make the idea reality. www.davison.com
Collapse

Maria Karra
Maria Karra  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:18
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
Greek proverb Dec 10, 2008

"You may knock all you want on a deaf man's door."

Sorry but this comes to mind every time I read your postings, Felipe. Either you don't hear the knock or you choose to ignore it. In any case, I don't see any point in knocking again. Good luck with your ...dream.

[Edited at 2008-12-10 22:45 GMT]

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
Thank you for warning me... Dec 10, 2008

... about where not to place my hard earned pension capital.

Felipe Gútiez wrote:
By the way, if someone has a good idea there is a company that can help you to make the idea reality. www.davison.com

Since you reference these venture capitalists in this thread I take it they've invested in TAUS ???

If that's the case, I'll keep my purse zipped up when they come knocking.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:18
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
What are the $ 400,000 start-up capital for? Dec 10, 2008

A server, a website and - some lawyers, I reckon.

Just curious.

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
Allusions? Dec 11, 2008

Felipe Gútiez wrote:

As for the personal allusions.

Delusions, more like it ...

At the risk of sounding rude, maybe it's about time you take this pitch to that 'other site' - you know, the one with the welcoming cup of coffee on the home page.

Who knows, perhaps you'll have more luck at finding the right clientele there. It should be pretty clear by now, nobody is buying into this here.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
No use in continuing the discussion Dec 11, 2008

As most colleagues here, I see no use in continuing this discussion. As proven in the past, and no matter how hard Felipe insists, we have no interest in being members or customers of the TAUS initiative. As simple as that. Not being interested does not make us dumb people or bad translators as Felipe suggests. Probably on the contrary.

Felipe, I sincerely think that you are wasting your time... and probably the time of many colleagues here: you suggest a topic but rarely answer any
... See more
As most colleagues here, I see no use in continuing this discussion. As proven in the past, and no matter how hard Felipe insists, we have no interest in being members or customers of the TAUS initiative. As simple as that. Not being interested does not make us dumb people or bad translators as Felipe suggests. Probably on the contrary.

Felipe, I sincerely think that you are wasting your time... and probably the time of many colleagues here: you suggest a topic but rarely answer any of our questions or comments. This serves no purpose. Honest.
Collapse

Felipe Gútiez Velasco
Felipe Gútiez Velasco
Germany
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Nicole, :-) Dec 11, 2008

Nicole Schnell wrote:

A server, a website and - some lawyers, I reckon.

Just curious.

You can contact Jaap directly if you like, via the TAUS website.

Hi everybody

Still being more provocating (Tomás will love it):

If 10 translators do not agree with this project, which is a logical evolution of the localization industry, this does not mean that the project will not suceed.

Henry, are you planning access to the TDA plattform for ProZ members as from January for a special price? I have not yet rebook my ProZ membership thinking that if possible I would like joining both plattforms together.

Henry, are you planning agreements with publishing houses to make dictionaries available in Internet for members in ProZ? I think this could be a good idea (Don´t forget the Ernst German-Spanish, please and the Becher German-Spanish).

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
95% of translators in Proz don't agree Dec 11, 2008

Felipe Gútiez wrote:
If 10 translators do not agree with this project, which is a logical evolution of the localization industry, this does not mean that the project will not suceed.

Felipe, you probably forgot (intentionally, I guess) about the opinions expressed in the past not by 10 people, but more than 55 people. Have a look again!. 95% of the translators who expressed their opinion said no to the idea of a cooperative/global memory. Please don't force me to run a similar poll again referred specifically to the TAUS initiative!

Patricia Lane
Patricia Lane  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
and in my mailbox today Dec 11, 2008

An offer from a Proz member to swap TMs or just buy this member's for 5 euros/4000 TU... I was floored...Not even a thought on issues such as client confidentiality, let alone anything else...

Patricia

Andrea Riffo
Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
English to Spanish
+ ...
:-O Dec 11, 2008

Patricia Lane wrote:

An offer from a Proz member to swap TMs or just buy this member's for 5 euros/4000 TU... I was floored...Not even a thought on issues such as client confidentiality, let alone anything else...

Patricia

I'm aghast. The icing of the cake would be that this member claimed to endorse Proz's professional guidelines.

Greetings
Andrea

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Send them to.... Dec 11, 2008

Patricia Lane wrote:

If they asked me, I would simply send them to F--- O--!!! If they cannot see the damage in credibility and trust they are causing, they should not be in this profession.

Personally I would publish that person's name here, so that we can express our opinion to that person directly!

Andrea Riffo
Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
English to Spanish
+ ...
So would I... Dec 11, 2008

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

Personally I would publish that person's name here, so that we can express our opinion to that person directly!

... but that posting wouldn't last more than a minute here

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
I got it too Dec 11, 2008

Although I wasn't invited to buy the member's TMs, just swap mine with theirs... I binned the e-mail but I'd be very interested to know if anyone bit. Also very interesting timing, I thought.

[Edited at 2008-12-11 16:16 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Launch of TAUS/TDA inminent. The super cloud

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »