Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
I want formal training in my craft: Translation program WITH specialization?
Thread poster: Maria Riva
Maria Riva
Maria Riva  Identity Verified
Canada
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to everyone for their advice Dec 9, 2015

I realize this is not a black and white issue, but I have tried to gather some insight from all of your responses.

I am summarizing what, in my opinion, I have interpreted to be the main points:

-Having translation training is important, whether through the proz mentor-mentee program, or through formal education courses.

-Having a specialization field is also important, and though possible to acquire through self-study, this route may take longer so having
... See more
I realize this is not a black and white issue, but I have tried to gather some insight from all of your responses.

I am summarizing what, in my opinion, I have interpreted to be the main points:

-Having translation training is important, whether through the proz mentor-mentee program, or through formal education courses.

-Having a specialization field is also important, and though possible to acquire through self-study, this route may take longer so having some formal training could be beneficial.

As one of the posters put it:

"Any training of any sort, providing it works for you, will help give you confidence and will help you provide better translations faster[...]"

Thank you all for your responses.

And this article was indeed a great read!

An MA in Translation Studies: To have or not to have?

By Christa Parrish | Published 10/31/2013 | Translator Education | Recommendation:
Contact the author
Quicklink: http://www.proz.com/doc/3931

[Edited at 2015-12-09 17:27 GMT]
Collapse

Elizabeth Tamblin
Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:32
French to English
. Dec 9, 2015

Richard Foulkes wrote:

Elizabeth Tamblin wrote:

I don't agree that an MA in translation amounts to just a booklist and a handful of lectures. The one I did was a hell of a lot more than that.

I'm not going to sidetrack the OP's thread by getting into the wider debates here.

Perhaps you could help the OP and others facing a similar decision by listing some of the specific, indispensable things you learned on your MA and how you regularly use them in your translation work?

I have already given brief information about the course I did at Bristol. If anybody is really interested, send me a pm and I will give you more details. Alternatively, the Bristol University website gives much more information about the course.

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:32
German to English
+ ...
In regards to MA's Dec 9, 2015

I saw a few posts discussing whether or not to get an MA in translation. I believe this reflects the system in the US where you get a Bachelors degree in something else, and translation is then studied as a Masters. The OP is writing from Canada. Here it is a 4 year program that you enter upon graduating from high school. So considerations of MA's are not in the picture one way or the other.

Eugenia Sánchez
Eugenia Sánchez  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 14:32
Member (2005)
French to Spanish
+ ...
Just a bit of extra information Dec 10, 2015

I think you are looking for something like that

However, the programs offered there are intended only for translators with at least one degree in translation (four-year training minimum required) and there isn't any online in Argentina as far as I know.

Just a bit of extra information that could give you some ideas to guide your search!

Best luck!

Eugenia

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I want formal training in my craft: Translation program WITH specialization?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »