Thread poster: Nat�n V�zquez
Nat�n V�zquez
Nat�n V�zquez
Mexico
Local time: 09:59
English to Spanish
Feb 4, 2004

Hi:

Two weeks ago I sent my payment and application form to ATA HQ via Fax.
My concern is that I haven´t received any information about it. Is this the normal ATA procedure? How long before I hear from them now?

I have sent more than 5 e mails and no answer.
I called them and just got an aswering machine and I left a message, but still no answer.
I´m worried beacuse i paid with a credit card and I don´t even know if they already charged it.
<
... See more
Hi:

Two weeks ago I sent my payment and application form to ATA HQ via Fax.
My concern is that I haven´t received any information about it. Is this the normal ATA procedure? How long before I hear from them now?

I have sent more than 5 e mails and no answer.
I called them and just got an aswering machine and I left a message, but still no answer.
I´m worried beacuse i paid with a credit card and I don´t even know if they already charged it.

I would like to get some advice.

Natán Vázquez
Collapse

uFO
uFO  Identity Verified
South Korea
Local time: 12:59
Korean to English
+ ...
Good luck! Feb 4, 2004

Last year they lost my forms and money order which were delivered by registered mail, I had to resend everything again. The person to write and to talk to is Maggie Rowe, I believe they have her contact info posted on the ATA website.

Nat�n V�zquez
Nat�n V�zquez
Mexico
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Feb 4, 2004

uFO wrote:

The person to write and to talk to is Maggie Rowe, I believe they have her contact info posted on the ATA website.

She is the one I have been sending e mails and leaving voice messages, well I guess she is a pretty busy lady.

I think it is rude not to contact someone who is interested in joining their association.

Anyway, thanks for your comment.

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Dutch to English
+ ...
Question Feb 4, 2004

Can I ask you both a question?

What are the ATA membership requirements when you are already certified by another organization (CITC in my case)?

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 11:59
SITE FOUNDER
To join the ATA, just pay. Certification requires a test. Feb 4, 2004

Tina Vonhof wrote:
What are the ATA membership requirements when you are already certified by another organization (CITC in my case)?

There are no requirements for membership in the ATA. Just pay.

The majority of ATA members are not certified, but the ATA does offer certification ('certification' has replaced 'accreditation' as the official term.) For this, you have to take an ATA examination at one of various test sites scheduled periodically. 14 locations in the US and Brazil are listed for this year:

http://www.atanet.org/accred.htm

Dutch to English is among the pairs offered.

As for your CTIC credential, I have never heard of recognition by the ATA of credentials earned through other organizations.

Rosa Maria Duenas Rios (X)
Rosa Maria Duenas Rios (X)  Identity Verified
I hope it will not happen to me too! Feb 4, 2004

Just last week I also sent by fax to ATA my application for membership, and for the certification exam. I just hope I will not encounter the same problems! So far, I have just made one follow-up call, and also left a message on their voice mail. I wonder if they care that they might be building themselves a not so good reputation!

Yes, ATA recognizes other credentials... Feb 4, 2004

Tina Vonhof wrote:

Can I ask you both a question?

... when you apply for certification.

If you care to read through their website, you will find out that, if you are already certified by another "recognized" organization, you do not need to submit proof of your translating habilities. In my case, to apply for the certification exam, I just had to send them a copy of my OTTIAQ certification (and the application and money, of course)...

Nat�n V�zquez
Nat�n V�zquez
Mexico
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Good News! Feb 4, 2004

Rosa Maria Duenas Rios wrote:

Just last week I also sent by fax to ATA my application for membership, and for the certification exam. I just hope I will not encounter the same problems! So far, I have just made one follow-up call, and also left a message on their voice mail. I wonder if they care that they might be building themselves a not so good reputation!

Some minutes ago I received info from ATA and now I know they received my payment and applicaiton form. Now I´m an ATA associate and I´m really looking forward to the Annual Conference.
Does anyone know info about this meeting? They don´t have it on their website yet.

Good for you, not so good for me! Feb 5, 2004

Natan Vazquez wrote:

Rosa Maria Duenas Rios wrote:

Some minutes ago I received info from ATA and now I know they received my payment and applicaiton form. Now I´m an ATA associate and I´m really looking forward to the Annual Conference.
Does anyone know info about this meeting? They don´t have it on their website yet.

I just called again and spoke to Maggy, who informed they did not have the fax forms I sent them on Jan 23. Anyway, I sent them again and hope to have better luck this time, but so far, I am not impressed with their client approach.

As for info on theirnext Annual Conference, which ATA has NOT yet posted on their webpage, I found the following at the NCATA (National Capital chapter of ATA) webpage:
October 13-16, 2004
ATAs 45th Annual COnference
Sheraton Centre Hotel
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
For more info, contact ATA HQ at
703-683-6100 (Maggy again!), or
[email protected]

Hope it helps!

Sara Freitas
Sara Freitas
France
Local time: 17:59
French to English
Also having problems getting info from ATA Mar 1, 2004

ATA successfully debited my credit card on Feb. 5th.
I subsequently received a copy of their magazine.
I e-mailed them on Feb. 20th asking for an invoice and my membership number (in order to use their translator directory, etc.).
It has been radio silence on their end since then.

I paid for my membership a month ago now, and to date am not able to enjoy the benefits of membership. Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks for any advice you can give in
... See more
ATA successfully debited my credit card on Feb. 5th.
I e-mailed them on Feb. 20th asking for an invoice and my membership number (in order to use their translator directory, etc.).
It has been radio silence on their end since then.

I paid for my membership a month ago now, and to date am not able to enjoy the benefits of membership. Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks for any advice you can give in addition to the above!

Regards,
Sara
Collapse

TNT (X)
TNT (X)
Austria
Local time: 17:59
ATA Jan 21, 2011

This Maggie Rowe person has never been to a service course.
Don't exoect to much!

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Your membership number Jan 22, 2011

Sara Freitas-Maltaverne wrote:

Your membership number is printed on the address label of the magazine. Whenever I need to log into their website, I just grab the latest edition of the magazine and copy my membership number from there.

Hope this helps.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ATA Membership Problem - sent registration but getting no replies

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »