Thread poster: Annina1969 (X)
Annina1969 (X)
Annina1969 (X)
Local time: 21:22
English to Italian
+ ...
May 24, 2010

Dear Proz fans

I would like to start working as professional translator in France: I am currently working for another company and my project is to slowly become fully independent. In terms of employee's contribution I do not know what to choose (autoentreprenneur or porteur salarial) especially because I do not want my company to know my activity as translator.
Any suggestion is welcome!

Thank you

Annina1969

[Edited at 2010-05-24 14:26 G
... See more
Dear Proz fans

I would like to start working as professional translator in France: I am currently working for another company and my project is to slowly become fully independent. In terms of employee's contribution I do not know what to choose (autoentreprenneur or porteur salarial) especially because I do not want my company to know my activity as translator.
Any suggestion is welcome!

Thank you

Annina1969

[Edited at 2010-05-24 14:26 GMT]
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:22
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
AE sounds better to me May 24, 2010

Annina1969 wrote:
in terms of employee's contribution I do not know what to choose (autoentreprenneur or porteur salarial)

I'm not sure there are any benefits at all to the "portage salarial" way of working now that the AE option is available. AE status seems to me to give most of the benefits without the definite downside of paying a percentage of your income to a third-party.

Does anyone else see it differently?

I do not want my company to know my activity as translator

I wouldn't imagine they will know if you don't tell them - I don't think the tax or social security offices will tell them. However, you would need to check your employment contract with them.

I don't know whether the 35-hr week law would prevent you having a full-time job plus portage salarial, but I don't see any reason against having a full-time job + AE.

For the future, when you want to become a full-time freelance translator, I imagine you would want to become independent rather than to continue as portage salarial. That's another reason why I would recommend registering as AE now. It will then be a very minor change to grow into a micro-enterprise when you go over the AE income limits and/or want to charge VAT etc.

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Careful with that... May 24, 2010

Annina1969 wrote:
I do not want my company to know my activity as translator

Beware, however, not to give your current employer a reason to fire you based on a conflict of interests. Not telling them about your projects could make the case even worse.

Sheila Wilson wrote:
I don't know whether the 35-hr week law would prevent you having a full-time job plus portage salarial, but I don't see any reason against having a full-time job + AE.

The maximal work duration allowed by law is 48 hours per week. Again, make sure that your secondary activity will not interfere with your main job. And note that the payslips issued by any wage portage company indicate your activity in working hours.

[Edited at 2010-05-24 17:03 GMT]

Annina1969 (X)
Annina1969 (X)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
"caisse" for the contribution May 25, 2010

thank you for the information.
the issue is related to the "caisse" the AE should pay the contribution.
If possibily I would like not to be the same at the beginning.

Moreover how can you measure the number of hours you spend for the translation (for the declaration if you can not work more than 48 hrs per week?).

thank you again

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Freelance translator in france

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »