Teaching abroad - information needed
Thread poster: nycteacher
nycteacher
nycteacher
United States
Local time: 18:34
Oct 28, 2009

I am a second-year French and English teacher in New York City. At the end of this year, I will have my Master's. I am looking to get out of NYC and probably out of America. I'm especially interested in going back to France or Montreal. I have looked into various job search sites and department of ed sites, but I have found little useful information or realistic prospects. Can anyone help me with the following questions?:

1. What are some certification issues I may face as an Americ
... See more
I am a second-year French and English teacher in New York City. At the end of this year, I will have my Master's. I am looking to get out of NYC and probably out of America. I'm especially interested in going back to France or Montreal. I have looked into various job search sites and department of ed sites, but I have found little useful information or realistic prospects. Can anyone help me with the following questions?:

1. What are some certification issues I may face as an American teaching in a foreign country? In your experience, do you have to get re-certified, or can my credentials transfer?

2. I make over 50k here. Most of the language schools Ihave seen pay hourly rates significantly below what I average in an hour. Since I want to live and work in a big city, where the cost of living is higher, I need to know what I can expect for pay from private schools or public schools (if I can work there) in the area. Any statistics/sites to point me to?

3. I don't want to be an assistant- I want to lead the class. What are my prospects for that if I enter a teach abroad program? Keep in mind that I will have a Master's and two years of classroom experience in a high-needs school.

Thanks so much for any help you might be able to give.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-10-28 11:52 GMT]
Collapse

Harvey Utech
Harvey Utech  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:34
German to English
TEFL.com Oct 28, 2009

Most of your questions can be answered at the link above. Best site for the kind of teaching you want to do.

It would be more polite to sign your name at the end of your post.

Harvey

urbom
urbom
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:34
German to English
+ ...
Dave's ESL Cafe Oct 28, 2009

This site is aimed more at people in or from the US:

http://www.eslcafe.com/

The Teacher Training Forum there might be of use to the asker.

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:34
German to English
+ ...
International schools Oct 28, 2009

With your certification and experience you would be more likely to get decent pay (comparable to your US pay) at an international school. I researched this issue extensively for my husband, who is now a certified teacher in Illinois, a couple of years ago. We ended up not taking this avenue because at the time he was just finishing up his state certification and didn't have the two years of teaching (with certification - he had taught English abroad before) under his belt that many of these scho... See more
With your certification and experience you would be more likely to get decent pay (comparable to your US pay) at an international school. I researched this issue extensively for my husband, who is now a certified teacher in Illinois, a couple of years ago. We ended up not taking this avenue because at the time he was just finishing up his state certification and didn't have the two years of teaching (with certification - he had taught English abroad before) under his belt that many of these schools require. You do, though, so I would look into it.

Check out the fairs that they hold for international school job interviews. It seemed like that was the way to get into an initial job and then network to move up or to your top choice school. It seemed that competition was pretty stiff, so you might not get, say, Paris, the first time around.

This site was useful:
http://www.tieonline.com/
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Money may be the problem Oct 28, 2009

Daina Jauntirans wrote:
With your certification and experience you would be more likely to get decent pay (comparable to your US pay) at an international school.

I'm pretty sure you'd be able to get a job in an international school in France, but I'm not sure they always pay well. Even though I'm a freelancer, I have been approached by several and, believe me, their rates were not difficult to turn down.

The state school system insists on Bac+3 (Bachelor degree level) for its teachers, plus a teaching diploma, so I see no problem for you there either. Again, the pay may be a stumbling block - I don't know what a full-time teacher earns but I see ads on the national job agency site (Pôle Emploi) for temporary replacement teachers, and they aren't brilliant at all.

Neil Coffey
Neil Coffey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Teaching in state schools without the CAPES... Oct 28, 2009

If you're considering teaching in French state schools, I'd check quite carefully what the current deal is for teachers without the CAPES exam, and if it was something you were thinking of doing in the long run, what your elligibility for taking the CAPES would be.

It certainly *used* to be the case that compared to teaching privately, teaching in a French school without the CAPES wasn't a particularly attractive option, not just in terms of pay but in terms of other conditions (e.g
... See more
If you're considering teaching in French state schools, I'd check quite carefully what the current deal is for teachers without the CAPES exam, and if it was something you were thinking of doing in the long run, what your elligibility for taking the CAPES would be.

It certainly *used* to be the case that compared to teaching privately, teaching in a French school without the CAPES wasn't a particularly attractive option, not just in terms of pay but in terms of other conditions (e.g. it could be pretty much decided on your behalf that you were going to be given a "mutation" to some other random part of the country). Maaaaybe things have changed and it would be interesting to hear from others on the current situation, but the issue of the CAPES is definitely worth investigating I think if this is the route you wanted to take (but possibly private tuition/teaching is more what you had in mind?).

[Edited at 2009-10-28 21:48 GMT]
Collapse

Karl Strand (X)
Karl Strand (X)  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 00:34
English to French
+ ...
Teaching English, language schools Nov 10, 2009

I taught for three years for Inlingua in Paris, and it was a good learning experience. However, this is not at all a career. The pay is not good, the relationship between management and "formateurs" is not based on trust and respect, and you do not have health insurance nor vacations (those are computed into your hourly wages). Also, count on spending quite a bit of time in the subways and on the buses going from one assignment to another, on a daily basis. During the winter, this can be rather ... See more
I taught for three years for Inlingua in Paris, and it was a good learning experience. However, this is not at all a career. The pay is not good, the relationship between management and "formateurs" is not based on trust and respect, and you do not have health insurance nor vacations (those are computed into your hourly wages). Also, count on spending quite a bit of time in the subways and on the buses going from one assignment to another, on a daily basis. During the winter, this can be rather depressing...
Your other, better option I think, is to teach for private high schools such as the Institut de la Tour.
Good luck to you,
Karl
Collapse

Geraldine Oudin
Geraldine Oudin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Japanese to French
+ ...
Go to Japan (or South Corea) Nov 10, 2009

If you are flexible about the destination, I think it would be easy for you to find a well paid position in Japan with your qualifications and experience. Much easier than in France.

I have seen positions advertised for up to 350 000 yen/month (+/- 3900 USD) for experienced and qualified English teachers (French pays more, but only if you are a native). A beginner would get 200 000 yen/month. A quick look at the following website wi
... See more
If you are flexible about the destination, I think it would be easy for you to find a well paid position in Japan with your qualifications and experience. Much easier than in France.

I have seen positions advertised for up to 350 000 yen/month (+/- 3900 USD) for experienced and qualified English teachers (French pays more, but only if you are a native). A beginner would get 200 000 yen/month. A quick look at the following website will give you a better idea of what to expect: https://jobs.gaijinpot.com/index/index/lang/en

[Modifié le 2009-11-10 13:31 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Teaching abroad - information needed

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »