Thread poster: sabrino
sabrino
sabrino  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 02:31
French to Japanese
+ ...
Dec 5, 2015

All those who order jobs are not always kings as customers.
When economic rationality for all parties involved is lacking and only customer demand is unilaterally imposed, this is an economic tyranny and unfair deal.
A good example:
Especially Across. This online processing tool has internal program errors. An example: when the source texts are copied into the target column and confirmed, then every time number count errors pop up, which must be clicked either by Edit, Add,
... See more
All those who order jobs are not always kings as customers.
When economic rationality for all parties involved is lacking and only customer demand is unilaterally imposed, this is an economic tyranny and unfair deal.
A good example:
Especially Across. This online processing tool has internal program errors. An example: when the source texts are copied into the target column and confirmed, then every time number count errors pop up, which must be clicked either by Edit, Add, or Skip and this takes additional waste of time.
Replace-All function is unstable in that copied source text strings do not let copy into the Find and Replace popup easily. There is some internal link error with clipboard to Across UI.

Vendors prefer Across and memoQ for these generate less word count than by trados. This practice is still acceptable as internal fuzzy matches can be included in word count, which translator can put into target text strings by the replace-all function.

With client-based Trados, there no such errors, this is also not dependent on network conditions and rational. Word count can be chosen between. with/without internal fuzzy matches, the package structure is very stable and file size for return package can be often smaller than work files.

The blind belief on online live processing over the internet may have been the impetus for these business people who are manufacturing and selling these online tools.
The actual end result on the practical level is counterproductive, or only productive for those who prefer these tools and just like the "justice" imposed by mass media on any attacks by the power holding nations, those who prefer these tools want to believe that this is a "fact" that these would be productive for its online based technology. This is like cult religion and irrational.

Do not use Across, especially any more unless the program errors are not fixed.
Collapse

ahartje
ahartje
Portugal
Local time: 01:31
Member (2006)
German to Portuguese
+ ...
memoQ??? Dec 5, 2015

I used Trados years ago with all its pros(???) and cons(!!!), including difficult installation, worse or even no client´s support etc. until I found memoQ.
What a relief! It is stable in all its versions, works fine with almost each and every file format, online and offline, and the support given by Kilgray is outstanding and lightning fast.
With memoQ my dreams and demands became true...and Trados lost a forced client!

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 03:31
English to Russian
@ahartje: I feel the same way Dec 5, 2015

After years of using Trados (from 2005), I found memoQ 4 years ago. Full stop here. No more words needed.

What regards word counting, does it matter for you at all?
Every translator has his/her own method to calculate workload and profitabilty. Just take the amount proposed by your client and divide it by your comfortable unit (e.g. 250 words for my language pair). If you like the result, you accept the job. And it does not matter how they count: from right to left, from down
... See more
After years of using Trados (from 2005), I found memoQ 4 years ago. Full stop here. No more words needed.

What regards word counting, does it matter for you at all?
Every translator has his/her own method to calculate workload and profitabilty. Just take the amount proposed by your client and divide it by your comfortable unit (e.g. 250 words for my language pair). If you like the result, you accept the job. And it does not matter how they count: from right to left, from down to top, diagonally backwards, or upside down... No muss, no fuss.

By the way, same file, same TM. Total count is exactly the same. New words/No match count 188 (T2015) v. 189 (mQ) is almost the same.

[Edited at 2015-12-05 11:17 GMT]
Collapse

sabrino
Japan
French to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
momoQ passed Dec 5, 2015

From all you cited, I agree to your points plus for memoQ.

But, what kind of support did you need for trados studio? I like this since I never need any help....

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
RE: what kind of support did you need for trados studio? Dec 5, 2015

I don't.
Ask them:

------------------
BTW,
Trados... is also not dependent on network conditions - false. T2015 IS totally dependent. As soon a
... See more
I don't.
Ask them:

------------------
BTW,
Trados... is also not dependent on network conditions - false. T2015 IS totally dependent. As soon as I disconnect Internet, T2015 says my 'License Expired'. You cannot work without Internet at all.
Collapse

ahartje
ahartje
Portugal
Member (2006)
German to Portuguese
+ ...
But I needed support for all versions, till Studio 2009, Dec 5, 2015

for installation. The licence key did not work for 10 days, going forth and back, treating me like a dummy. Finally they called it one of these rare cases needing another approach.
But 2 times I needed urgent help solving a problem within an ongoing project. In both cases Trados replied to see the FAQs (as if I had not done so in first place!) and when I insisted to talk to the personal adviser (or how they called it), I received a message like: "Thank you for contacting me. I´m on vacati
... See more
for installation. The licence key did not work for 10 days, going forth and back, treating me like a dummy. Finally they called it one of these rare cases needing another approach.
But 2 times I needed urgent help solving a problem within an ongoing project. In both cases Trados replied to see the FAQs (as if I had not done so in first place!) and when I insisted to talk to the personal adviser (or how they called it), I received a message like: "Thank you for contacting me. I´m on vacation so please get in touch in 10 days from now."

At that moment my decision was made up to look for an alternative: memoQ! Happy ending (or beginning)!
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
not much point saying it, but I'll say it anyway ... Dec 5, 2015

There are other alternatives out there, outside of the memoQ vs Trados bubble so many people seem to be trapped in. Just sayin'.

These days, m€moQ is just as buggy as that pile of crumpets, $DL $tudio.

Michael

MttMortensen

sabrino
Japan
French to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
sdl license Dec 5, 2015

I know many pirated trados 2007 working on .ttx are still used mainly in China, except for some good vendors.
But I didn't know trados 2015 needs to be online for the license purpose. Will not use it. 2014 is good.

All in all, stop using Across, call to all all vendors.
I ended this hell of my work time by myself.

Good luck everybody and enjoy working and thank you for your replies.

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
RE: These days, m€moQ is just as buggy as... Dec 5, 2015

Maybe you mean 2015 version. I have 2013 and I cannot detect any problem with it... What I do wrong?
Most problems with memoQ that I have seen here on this forum stem from lack of knowledge. That's it.

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
the old versions are indeed better Dec 5, 2015

Stepan Konev wrote:

Maybe you mean 2015 version. I have 2013 and I cannot detect any problem with it... What I do wrong?
Most problems with memoQ that I have seen here on this forum stem from lack of knowledge. That's it.

Indeed, I too still have 2013 (although I only ever use it for projects where the client insists that memoQ be used), and it is relatively bug free. However, this cannot be said of the newer versions, and since it is now 2015 already (almost 2016!), not 2013, or even 2014 – 2015 is the version Kilgray is pushing.

From 2016 to 2013 is quite a jump to have to make to escape bugs.

[Edited at 2015-12-05 19:22 GMT]

Mikhail Kropotov
Mikhail Kropotov  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Russian
+ ...
I don't understand a word of the original posting Dec 6, 2015

I have a lot to say on the general topic of what it's like to use MemoQ and Trados. However, since I don't understand a word of sabrino's original posting, I cannot really comment.

Madeleine Chevassus
Madeleine Chevassus  Identity Verified
France
Member (2010)
English to French
SITE LOCALIZER
I had several problems with SDL Studio, I frankly prefer MemoQ. Dec 6, 2015

Hello

When I started as a translator, every agency wanted nothing else than SDL Trados. Studio was just available but it was not yet accepted by agencies. They all still wanted the pachyderm..So I had no choice and I bought Studio, and trained and used it.

At least 3 or 4 times during translation projects with short deadlines, the product had blocking errors with no correction proposed. Since I subscribed the technical support, I submitted the blocking problems to SDL s
... See more
Hello

When I started as a translator, every agency wanted nothing else than SDL Trados. Studio was just available but it was not yet accepted by agencies. They all still wanted the pachyderm..So I had no choice and I bought Studio, and trained and used it.

At least 3 or 4 times during translation projects with short deadlines, the product had blocking errors with no correction proposed. Since I subscribed the technical support, I submitted the blocking problems to SDL support (very expensive support fee and they don't guarantee a 24 hours solution or turn around). Of course they took time to answer but meanwhile the product deadline occured and I was unable to deliver, making me loose money and reputation with these agencies (several times). Multiterm also is a very heavy and complex product.

Today I have Sudio 2014.
I admit that SDL Support made some progress with the KB (Known problem database) but there are still a lot of blocking problems, not fixed for 3 / 4 versions.
for instance blocking error:
Error messages in SDL Trados Studio: ’Object reference not set to an instance of an object’ and ’TM Update failed’

This is why I hesitate to pay €200 more to upgrade to Studio 2015, if these bugs are still not fixed.

This is why I bought MemoQ and never had blocking problems (in 3 years).
Moreover the product is userfriendly and efficient, termbase feeding and handling is a pleasure.

Have a nice day - Madeleine
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Which memoQ? Dec 6, 2015

I see on my programs menu both memoQ 5 and 6 are installed, but I've never used them. There are no major issues with SDL Studio 2015. MemoQ is no online tool I believe.

sabrino
Japan
French to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Another minus with Across Dec 7, 2015

1. You don't know what kind of content structure is until you have confirmed the job.
2. Incompatibility with other file formats and translation import to import into / export from Across

The territorial mentality of the developers is evident in the are of harmonization and open source and ubiquitous working. This state of business is same as different power plugs by countries of the world.
19th century mentality is that.

All this is a friendly reminder t
... See more
1. You don't know what kind of content structure is until you have confirmed the job.
2. Incompatibility with other file formats and translation import to import into / export from Across

The territorial mentality of the developers is evident in the are of harmonization and open source and ubiquitous working. This state of business is same as different power plugs by countries of the world.
19th century mentality is that.

All this is a friendly reminder to Across company to improve their product.
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Finnish to French
memoQ server Dec 8, 2015

Heinrich Pesch wrote:
MemoQ is no online tool I believe.

In memoQ, you can work in online projects (if your client is running memoQ server and made resources available for you online). Depending on how the online project was configured, you can work on a local copy of it, and manually synchronize it. This means you can work even if there’s no connection (or a slow one) to the server, which I believe you can’t do with Across (never worked with Across on online projects). This is what the relevant options look like in memoQ 2015 (they are found under the Documents tab):

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Across, memoQ are the hell for workers

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »