Across, memoQ are the hell for workers
Thread poster: sabrino
Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:15
Finnish to French
Across lacks interoperability by design Dec 8, 2015

sabrino wrote:
All this is a friendly reminder to Across company to improve their product.

What you fail to realize is the lack of interoperability in Across is deliberate, by design: in their crossworld, they want you (the crosslator) to do all your business in Across; you get your assignments on the crossmarketplace, your crosslations end up in crosstanks (and stay there, since it’s none of your business to keep a copy for yourself) etc. There’s never going to be a way to export your documents to XLIFF, for instance. Why would you want to do this, since Across already offers all you need to translate them?

sabrino
sabrino  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 07:15
French to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Speed Dec 8, 2015

I need speed assured by trados on local client without network dependency. Cross is network-dependent.

Anyway, to be faire, Across is still useable if network condition is acceptable and there is no too many numerical data. It is normal tool under this condition.

I accepted the current job using Across because the content offered is interesting: The Paris bombing "terrorist attack" was also inside job, just as the 9/11, 2001, on the New York Twin Tower was. contray to
... See more
I need speed assured by trados on local client without network dependency. Cross is network-dependent.

Anyway, to be faire, Across is still useable if network condition is acceptable and there is no too many numerical data. It is normal tool under this condition.

I accepted the current job using Across because the content offered is interesting: The Paris bombing "terrorist attack" was also inside job, just as the 9/11, 2001, on the New York Twin Tower was. contray to my expectation there have been many numerical data in this German document to be translated into double-byte languages.
Collapse

sabrino
Japan
French to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
After all time waste with Across Dec 10, 2015

I measured time taken by Across vs. Trados 2014.
Across takes three times ore more longer than Trados 2014, even under good network condition.

The online network-based programs have this limit.

After all, I quit Across with the ended job right now.

sabrino
Japan
French to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
10 times slower Across x Trados Studio Dec 11, 2015

I after all measured the time it takes for just copying all texts into target
With trados, it takes 1 seconds for about 5000 Segments.
With Across, it takes 40 minutes, when there are many numerical data sources.
It takes less than 10 seconds when there is nearly no numerical data sources.

Bottomline: Across is not recommendable too at all, for workers.

It was evidently developed for management, lacking fairness to the workers.

sabrino
Japan
French to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Correction to the title of this post Dec 11, 2015

memoQ is after all acceptable as it has no the serious program deficiency as Across has.

The title of this post should be now Drop Across from any works which contain many numerical data.

Even without numerical data, copy all text and normal save procedures take much longer than trados or memoQ.

All vendors which use Across should quit this bad tool.

When workers are not motivated and under cheap labour market, what quality can you demand a
... See more
memoQ is after all acceptable as it has no the serious program deficiency as Across has.

The title of this post should be now Drop Across from any works which contain many numerical data.

Even without numerical data, copy all text and normal save procedures take much longer than trados or memoQ.

All vendors which use Across should quit this bad tool.

When workers are not motivated and under cheap labour market, what quality can you demand and expect?
Collapse

sabrino
Japan
French to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Across is useable as far as.. Dec 11, 2015

a worker does not care about economic efficiency, has lot of time to enjoy working.

Also, while confirmation popups repeats, I find solution:
Run across job on a different computer and enter sufficiently many times of [esc] and
work for other jobs on main computer; and come back to across machine to look at how the processing is going.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 09:15
English to Russian
Just don't use Across Dec 12, 2015

If you hate it so much, why don't you just stop using it?
Are you planning to convince everyone here that Across is bad?
Try Logoport to understand what a 'user-foely' program is.
However I successfully use memoQ for LB files, while Logoport is just for pretranslate and TM search purposes only. Works fine for me.
Isn't Across compatible with Trados? If not, then just forget those bastards who force you to use Across.

[Edited at 2015-12-12 17:09 GMT]

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Maybe clarify this statement Dec 15, 2015

Stepan Konev wrote:

BTW,
Trados... is also not dependent on network conditions - false. T2015 IS totally dependent. As soon as I disconnect Internet, T2015 says my 'License Expired'. You cannot work without Internet at all.

This has never been the case if you're using an activation code, I use it all the time on trains, planes all without any internet connection. If you're using a network license then it's always been the case... which kind of makes sense!

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

sabrino
Japan
French to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Across uninstallation, nasty message Dec 17, 2015

I quit Across and uninstalled. At the end, "Setup finished" is shown instead of "Uninstallation done". It is nasty message, reminding me of Across' desire to stay on.

So, this advertisement of across also ends here.

Marinus Vesseur
Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 23:15
English to Dutch
+ ...
The psychological component can ruin the experience... Dec 24, 2015

.. and that is Across' downfall, I think. Most translators are freelancers, with "free" being an important component of the lifestyle that goes with it. A tool that is designed to be used by freelancers should therefore suit the choice of freedom and individuality that they so treasure. As soon as a tool, be it online or offline, starts making me feel like a replaceable cogwheel in a big translation machine, I am out.

Secondly, translators are often of the more artsy personality ty
... See more
.. and that is Across' downfall, I think. Most translators are freelancers, with "free" being an important component of the lifestyle that goes with it. A tool that is designed to be used by freelancers should therefore suit the choice of freedom and individuality that they so treasure. As soon as a tool, be it online or offline, starts making me feel like a replaceable cogwheel in a big translation machine, I am out.

Secondly, translators are often of the more artsy personality type. They are good at languages, not at math. Learning the use of a computer posed more of a challenge to many of us than it does for your average geek. Why then, would a CAT tool maker expect me to adapt to their way of thinking? Aren't they trying to sell me something. Am I not the paying client?

Apple became successful because they designed machines around the user. What we call "intuitive" is something designed into the system to make the use of it pleasurable, fit for all humans, not just nerds. However, it requires a great deal of study and "nerd mindset" to figure out many of the features of CAT tools and the whole server-user setup of these systems takes even the last bit of personal contact out of the collaboration. Across is the worst offender, but I find all CAT tools sorely lacking in this regard.

I still hope that some Steve Jobs-like character will emerge who will revolutionize translation tools by humanizing them.

Delightful Holidays and a Happy New Year to you all!
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 09:15
English to Russian
Wrong. Activation code is exactly what I use. Dec 24, 2015

SDL Community wrote:

This has never been the case if you're using an activation code, I use it all the time on trains, planes all without any internet connection. If you're using a network license then it's always been the case... which kind of makes sense!

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

I am using an activation code. The one that looks like this: 9XeX2xxX-1XX1-4xXx-yY0X-7ZYXfblah8d14
I have no idea about network licenses.
The only difference between these two screens is Internet connection/disconnection.
Would be happy to know how to fix it.

P.S. Of course, I don't activate/deactivate Studio each time. This is just for your inforamtion so that you can see that I do use the activation code. When Internet is on, it works fine. Once I disconnect it, I see the screen shown on the right.

By the way, I remember it was already discussed here. And some guy from SDL (not you Paul) even checked my and topic starter's licenses to confirm they are ok. At that time I did not know the cause. But now, when I feel myself a magician because I can invoke this phenomenon whenever I wish, I do.

P.P.S. Yes, I update Studio when prompted.

[Edited at 2015-12-25 03:40 GMT]

sabrino
Japan
French to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Acros is hell for intermediaries as well. Dec 25, 2015

I discussed with and asked one single translation company which ordered me requiring the problematic online tool.
The company is not in the position of telling anything to the 1st tier company which imposes this hell tool.
So, poor my customer, the project manager sent me a trados package and then entered manually the target cell by cell into the imposed system, losing their time now.

In the age of interoprability, ubiquity (of working anywhere and across platform), an
... See more
I discussed with and asked one single translation company which ordered me requiring the problematic online tool.
The company is not in the position of telling anything to the 1st tier company which imposes this hell tool.
So, poor my customer, the project manager sent me a trados package and then entered manually the target cell by cell into the imposed system, losing their time now.

In the age of interoprability, ubiquity (of working anywhere and across platform), and mobility, I'm sad and irritated by having to complain about the unfriendliness of the tool.

I was paying for this free translation version by my lost time. Cumulatively, the opportunity cost will definitely exceed the cost of buying a trados studio which looks like expensive at first sight.

I thought trados 2015 required only one-off authentication of the license online when activating the product. I will keep using 2014 this allows me to work anywhere any time, and faster then the hell.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Across, memoQ are the hell for workers

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »