Thread poster: IanW (X)
IanW (X)
IanW (X)
Local time: 08:14
German to English
+ ...
Dec 12, 2003

Dear all,

Not an urgent problem, this, but a rather irritating one all the same.

Last week, I deinstalled Trados 5.5 Freelance and installed Trados 6.5 Freelance. After a few teething problems, everything was OK.

However, as of yesterday, I seem to have two Trados pull-down menus and two sets of Trados buttons whenever I open a new file in Word. I know how to hide these, but it has to be done every time I open a new file.

Has anyone ever experi
... See more
Dear all,

Not an urgent problem, this, but a rather irritating one all the same.

Last week, I deinstalled Trados 5.5 Freelance and installed Trados 6.5 Freelance. After a few teething problems, everything was OK.

However, as of yesterday, I seem to have two Trados pull-down menus and two sets of Trados buttons whenever I open a new file in Word. I know how to hide these, but it has to be done every time I open a new file.

Has anyone ever experienced this before or does anyone know how to remedy this? Any suggestions very much appreciated.

Many thanks

Ian
Collapse

Massimo Rippa
Massimo Rippa  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
To solve it out... Dec 12, 2003

Hi Ian,
in the Word toolbar go to Tools -> Templates and Add-Ins, then you will find two Trados5.dot (the name could slightly vary, or if you didn't uninstall the previous version properly, you can find add-ins with different names) add-ins. De-select the Add-in which you do not want to load at every Word Start-up and click OK.

Bye

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
German to English
+ ...
Thanks Massimo! Dec 12, 2003

I've had the same "problem" with my Trados for a while now. Deselecting that box has got rid of one of the drop-down menus and one of the tool bars, but as soon as I close Word and restart it again I'm stuck with my double menu/toolbar again.

Am I doing something wrong? Do I have to save the settings somehow?

Alison

IanW (X)
IanW (X)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Same here Dec 12, 2003

Thanks Massimo,

However, I still have the same problem as Alison.

I notice that there are two Trados.dot files: one is C\...\Microsoft\Word\StartUp\Trados.dot and that the other is C\...\Office\STARTUP\Trados.dot

Should we just delete one of these? If so, which one?

If Massimo or anyone else can help, I'd be more grateful.

Thanks

Ian

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Just a guess... Dec 12, 2003

Ian Winick wrote:

I notice that there are two Trados.dot files: one is C...MicrosoftWordStartUpTrados.dot and that the other is C...OfficeSTARTUPTrados.dot

I am not sure, because I haven't installed 6.5 yet, but you can try to change the extension instead of deleting (the effect is the same) and see what happpens. You can change the extension to ".do_", for example, and restart Word. Then you can change it back. I think the file in the Word directory should be left in place.

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 00:14
English to German
+ ...
same problems with Trados 5 and 5.5 Dec 12, 2003

..same solution:
go to C:\\Programs\\Microsoft Office\\Office\\Startup
There you will probably find one .dot file too much.
Just try which one to delete..

And I found out how to get rid of the MetaTexis menu:
simply wait until you'll have to buy a new hard disk.. 8)

[Edited at 2003-12-12 18:11]

IanW (X)
IanW (X)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hurrah! Dec 12, 2003

Thanks Harry,

Success! - assuming that my computer will work the next time I try to turn it on.

Pat on the back for Harry (or rather a pat on the beak ...)

Ian

[Edited at 2003-12-12 22:06]

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
German to English
+ ...
Me too... Dec 13, 2003

Ian Winick wrote:
I notice that there are two Trados.dot files: one is C...MicrosoftWordStartUpTrados.dot and that the other is C...OfficeSTARTUPTrados.dot

Ian:

I just deleted the second of these two files and now everything works fine.

Best,

Alison

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unwanted second Trados pull-down menu

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »