Trados not opening segments
Thread poster: Rebecca Holmes
Rebecca Holmes
Rebecca Holmes
United States
Local time: 15:55
German to English
Oct 7, 2003

My Trados 5.0 is not opening segments in documents. When I place the cursor somewhere in the document and click the button to open the segments, it merely creates this symbol in the text-{}-: but no segments.
The really strange thing, however, is that I am not getting an error message in the Workbench so I have no idea what to even look up in their help topics.
I have tried it on a variety of documents, none of them write protected or with strange fonts, and it has done the same thi
... See more
My Trados 5.0 is not opening segments in documents. When I place the cursor somewhere in the document and click the button to open the segments, it merely creates this symbol in the text-{}-: but no segments.
The really strange thing, however, is that I am not getting an error message in the Workbench so I have no idea what to even look up in their help topics.
I have tried it on a variety of documents, none of them write protected or with strange fonts, and it has done the same thing in every one of them. Does anyone know what is going on??
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:55
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Refer to Trados online knowledge basis Oct 7, 2003

And look at this article: http://support.trados.com/view.asp?cntID=476

The possibility your templates Normal.dot and/or Trados5.dot (or TW4Win.dot - according to the installed version) are corrupted is very high.
To prove this, simply rename first Normal.dot to Normal.old (Word should not run at this moment) and restart Word. Anything should work now. Word creates a new, bl
... See more
And look at this article: http://support.trados.com/view.asp?cntID=476

The possibility your templates Normal.dot and/or Trados5.dot (or TW4Win.dot - according to the installed version) are corrupted is very high.
To prove this, simply rename first Normal.dot to Normal.old (Word should not run at this moment) and restart Word. Anything should work now. Word creates a new, blank Normal.dot then. You can import the settings from your old Normal.old. Please refer to Word help, how to proceed. I can only describe this for german Word - if this is OK for you, please contact me via my profile and I provide you a description.

Kind regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Term recognition Oct 7, 2003

Hi Rebecca,
Another possibility is a problem with your termbase. Try deactivating term recognition - if the "curly brackets" disappear, there's something wrong with your MultiTerm database.

Sometimes it's enough to just recreate the fuzzy index (CTRL-Z); if that doesn't help, it's best to export, recreate and rebuild the database.

HTH - Ralf

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
German to English
+ ...
That's just what I was going to suggest Oct 7, 2003

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi Rebecca,
Another possibility is a problem with your termbase. Try deactivating term recognition - if the "curly brackets" disappear, there's something wrong with your MultiTerm database.

Sometimes it's enough to just recreate the fuzzy index (CTRL-Z); if that doesn't help, it's best to export, recreate and rebuild the database.

HTH - Ralf

I had the same problem recently and switching term recognition off fixed it for me.

Best,

Alison

Rebecca Holmes
Rebecca Holmes
United States
Local time: 15:55
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Term recognition seems to have solved problem Oct 7, 2003

Hi Jerzy, Ralf and Alison,
Thanks for your suggestions. Deactivating the term recognition option seems to have done the trick so far.
Big thanks!
Rebecca

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados not opening segments

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »