Marie Hélène AFONSO  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 00:06
Member (2012)
English to French
+ ...
Jan 31, 2014

Hello everyone,

Some time ago, I accepted an assignment from a supplier based in Russia. He contacted me through Skype and as I was available, I decided to take it.
Further, he sent me a purchase order by mail with the name of the agency.
I tried to find the name on the blueboard but it was not listed.
The day I had to send back the translation, he contacted me by mail in the morning to ask if I would be able to deliver as agreed in the afternoon. This is when I no
... See more
Hello everyone,

Some time ago, I accepted an assignment from a supplier based in Russia. He contacted me through Skype and as I was available, I decided to take it.
Further, he sent me a purchase order by mail with the name of the agency.
I tried to find the name on the blueboard but it was not listed.
The day I had to send back the translation, he contacted me by mail in the morning to ask if I would be able to deliver as agreed in the afternoon. This is when I noticed that the name of the agency in the mail address was different. I went back to the blueboard and this time I found the supplier and alas, a lot ot negative comments from translators that had never been paid. I finally sent the translation as it was almost finished.
Two days ago, I sent a reminder (the invoice is past due by ten days) by mail and got no reply. I contacted him through skype today. Though he was connected, he did not reply.
I don't know what to think and I wonder if he is of good faith or not (if the payment is only delayed or he really does not intend to pay).
If you could share with me your experiences, it would be fine.
Thanks. Have a nice day!
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:06
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Doesn't sound good Jan 31, 2014

Sorry to hear about this, Marie Hélène; it really doesn't look to be a promising situation. One thing that unfortunately won't help you, but might help others, is to report this matter to ProZ.com staff via a support ticket. It does sound as though this agency is making a deliberate attempt to con members into working with them by using a different name, and that must surely be against the site rules. It might also be useful to contact some of the others who have worked with the agency, to fin... See more
Sorry to hear about this, Marie Hélène; it really doesn't look to be a promising situation. One thing that unfortunately won't help you, but might help others, is to report this matter to ProZ.com staff via a support ticket. It does sound as though this agency is making a deliberate attempt to con members into working with them by using a different name, and that must surely be against the site rules. It might also be useful to contact some of the others who have worked with the agency, to find out what happened in their case.

I don't know if there's an on-line register of Russian companies, as there is for most if not all EU countries. If you could find that it would tell you if the company is still solvent. The only escalation I can think of at the moment would be to send a formal final demand by registered post to the company's registered address. It might get some response.

Let us know how things go; keeping my fingers crossed for you.
Collapse

Marie Hélène AFONSO
Marie Hélène AFONSO  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 00:06
Member (2012)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot Sheila Jan 31, 2014

for your time and your advice.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

payment issue

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »