Marie-Helene Dubois
Marie-Helene Dubois  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:58
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I understand it as a confidentiality issue Sep 4, 2013

as this is specified in most cases where an agency asks you not to use these kinds of tools. I just don't understand what the confidentiality issue is.
So let's say I copy and paste a phrase into google translate to see what it comes up with, surely no trace is left of this search? Or is there? What about if you use a plug-in? Is there a trace left somewhere of your translation?
I'm not sure I understand the mechanics behind this.

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 17:58
Chinese to English
Plagiarism software? Sep 4, 2013

Detecting MT can't be that hard - it's just a statistical process of dumbly going though the text to look for similarities, and that's what computers are good at. There is software designed to catch plagiarism, some of which I've heard works reasonably well, and I assume that you could use the same principles to detect MT (exhaustive checks on phrases in the text to see if they match the output of common MT engines, for example; sudden changes in style; etc.)

So I'm sure it's possib
... See more
Detecting MT can't be that hard - it's just a statistical process of dumbly going though the text to look for similarities, and that's what computers are good at. There is software designed to catch plagiarism, some of which I've heard works reasonably well, and I assume that you could use the same principles to detect MT (exhaustive checks on phrases in the text to see if they match the output of common MT engines, for example; sudden changes in style; etc.)

So I'm sure it's possible, with the right tools. And a good thing too.
Collapse

Steve Kerry
Steve Kerry  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:58
German to English
Wouldn't touch it with a barge pole Sep 4, 2013

I've never seen an MT translation which was even remotely adequate, so I will continue to give it a wide berth. I find that correcting multiple errors, even minor ones, spoils the flow of my work and is more of a hindrance than a help.

Of course, this is subject to technological progress... and the future progression of rates! If it ever gets down to four cents a word I will, of course, use nothing but Google Translate!.. grins.

Steve K.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Clients checking use of online translation

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »