Alessandra Martelli (X)
Alessandra Martelli (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 18:58
English to Italian
+ ...
Oct 19, 2012

Good afternoon everyone,

I recently got some interesting discussions with colleagues about the need for including Terms & Conditions of Service agreements in our standard practice for contracts with non-agency customers.

I started implementing this practice in my translation activities a few years ago and have to say this has been helpful in a few cases of late payment issues. Other colleagues do not use this kind of documents and think e-mail confirmations are more tha
... See more
Good afternoon everyone,

I recently got some interesting discussions with colleagues about the need for including Terms & Conditions of Service agreements in our standard practice for contracts with non-agency customers.

I started implementing this practice in my translation activities a few years ago and have to say this has been helpful in a few cases of late payment issues. Other colleagues do not use this kind of documents and think e-mail confirmations are more than enough.

Anyway, I sketched down some basic ideas & tips about content and usage of a T&C document for freelance work:

http://www.mtmtranslations.com/4/post/2012/10/terms-conditions-for-freelancers.html

Would love to know what you think about this, if you have a Terms & Conditions agreement for non-agency customers and if it ever came handy in case of trouble.

Happy translating & have a great weekend!

Best regards,
Alessandra
Collapse

Rodrigo Gomez Tregent

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:58
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Copyright Oct 19, 2012

Good advice.

I don't see a reference on your list of items to copyright. Although copyright laws differ somewhat from one country to another, they generally protect a translator who hasn't been paid. A reference to that protection can be a powerful incentive to pay.

Alessandra Martelli (X)
Alessandra Martelli (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 18:58
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Reference to copyright Oct 19, 2012

Hi John,

thank you for the feedback and advice.
I decided not to include a reference to copyright because, as you point out, copyright laws differ from country to country and they might not apply to the whole range of services a translator might offer (e.g. in revision and proofreading services, or quality assurance).
The list is intended to provide some food for thought and a starting point to translators and freelancers at large who still do not include a T&C documen
... See more
Hi John,

thank you for the feedback and advice.
I decided not to include a reference to copyright because, as you point out, copyright laws differ from country to country and they might not apply to the whole range of services a translator might offer (e.g. in revision and proofreading services, or quality assurance).
The list is intended to provide some food for thought and a starting point to translators and freelancers at large who still do not include a T&C document in their business practice but might be interested into this. Of course, the document shall be customised to fit individual needs.

Do you have a T&C doc already? What other clauses/topics should this cover in your opinion?

Regards,
Alessandra

[Edited at 2012-10-19 15:40 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-10-19 15:41 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Risk management for freelance translators - Terms & Conditions

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »