How to denounce bad companies?
Thread poster: Pedro Godfroid
Pedro Godfroid
Pedro Godfroid
Local time: 21:26
English to French
+ ...
Sep 12, 2012

It already happened to me several times.

They make me sign NDA and all sort of stuff, they make me send them special CV and all kinds of details, they make me do all kinds of tests and finally they announce that I've been chosen for the job and that they'll send me the source right away. And nothing comes. No material, no explanation, no nothing. Due to the lack of response, I eventually ask is there is something wrong, if the project has been delayed or what. Then, in some cases,
... See more
It already happened to me several times.

They make me sign NDA and all sort of stuff, they make me send them special CV and all kinds of details, they make me do all kinds of tests and finally they announce that I've been chosen for the job and that they'll send me the source right away. And nothing comes. No material, no explanation, no nothing. Due to the lack of response, I eventually ask is there is something wrong, if the project has been delayed or what. Then, in some cases, I receive an answer in the lines of, sorry, but we gave the job to somebody else with no explanation why or nothing.

Is it possible to denounce this behaviour without being a full-member and have access to the blue board? This kind of proceeding are blatant *lies* and I think they should be known so everybody knows what to expect form this type of agency.

Thanks and bye.

--
Pedro Godfroid Goffin

[Edited at 2012-09-12 14:12 GMT]
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
--- Sep 12, 2012

Pedro Godfroid wrote:
They make me sign NDA and all sort of stuff, they make me send them special CV and all kinds of details, they make me do all kinds of tests and finally they announce that I've been chosen for the job and that they'll send me the source right away. And nothing comes. No material, no explanation, no nothing. Due to the lack of response, I eventually ask is there is something wrong, if the project has been delayed or what. Then, in some cases, I receive an answer in the lines of, sorry, but we gave the job to somebody else with no explanation why or nothing.

This happens every now and then. And this does not mean anything. The more so this does not mean that the company is "bad" and should be "denounced" in any way.

Is it possible to denounce this behaviour without being a full-member and have access to the blue board?

Please refer to the Blue Board rule http://www.proz.com/siterules/blue_board_bb_blueboard/2#2 :

Certain conditions must be met before Blue Board entries can be made. Entries concerning the Likelihood of Working Again (LWA) with given outsourcers are allowed only when (1) commissioned work has been completed in full and delivered on time, and (2) there have not been complaints related to quality shortly after delivery. Entries may not be made on the basis of negotiations, test translations, or other preliminary or non-commissioned interactions.

[Edited at 2012-09-12 14:45 GMT]

Pedro Godfroid
Pedro Godfroid
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
La loi du plus fort est toujours la meilleure... Sep 12, 2012

Natalie wrote:

Pedro Godfroid wrote:

This happens every now and then. And this does not mean anything. The more so this does not mean that the company is "bad" and should be "denounced" in any way.

I see.

So the companies have the right to blatantly *lie* and give false illusions to workers and it's all right, they should not be held responsible for anything.

I understand that. They have the power and whoever has the power to do it, can do everything he wants and his victims must shut up. Understood...

Is it possible to denounce this behaviour without being a full-member and have access to the blue board?

Please refer to the Blue Board rule http://www.proz.com/siterules/blue_board_bb_blueboard/2#2 :

Certain conditions must be met before Blue Board entries can be made. Entries concerning the Likelihood of Working Again (LWA) with given outsourcers are allowed only when (1) commissioned work has been completed in full and delivered on time, and (2) there have not been complaints related to quality shortly after delivery. Entries may not be made on the basis of negotiations, test translations, or other preliminary or non-commissioned interactions.

[Edited at 2012-09-12 14:45 GMT]

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Would not make sense Sep 12, 2012

There is nothing you can do unless they sent you the materials and a purchase order stating the delivery date. The promise to send work your way means nothing these days: you only get a job when they actually send you the files and the purchase order.

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
I beg to disagree Sep 12, 2012

Pedro Godfroid wrote:
So the companies have the right to blatantly *lie* and give false illusions to workers and it's all right, they should not be held responsible for anything.

First of all, I don't think you (or me, or anybody else) have the right to call anyone a "blatant liar" in such cases. Do you know all the circumstances of the project? No. Do you have any idea why the end customer might suspend or cancel the project? No. So why calling names?

[Edited at 2012-09-12 15:12 GMT]

Pedro Godfroid
Pedro Godfroid
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
la raison du plus fort... Sep 12, 2012

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

There is nothing you can do unless they sent you the materials and a purchase order stating the delivery date. The promise to send work your way means nothing these days: you only get a job when they actually send you the files and the purchase order.

Understood.

I should not believe anything they tell me unless... Well, I guess I cannot be sure of anything until I get the payment in my pocket...

Sadly it's the law of the jungle progressing. Back. No honour, no respect, no nothing. La raison du plus fort... Sad world we're moving into.

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 13:26
Dutch to English
+ ...
Applying for a job Sep 12, 2012

In the world at large, applying for a job, sending in your resumé, and having an interview and/or completing a test, still does not guarantee that you will be hired. Conclusion: there must have been an applicant who was better or cheaper. You swallow your disappointment and you move on. Don't look at this as being a 'victim' - you know what you are worth and you will get a job from someone who appreciates what you have to offer.

If it's any consolation, I never got a job that was p
... See more
In the world at large, applying for a job, sending in your resumé, and having an interview and/or completing a test, still does not guarantee that you will be hired. Conclusion: there must have been an applicant who was better or cheaper. You swallow your disappointment and you move on. Don't look at this as being a 'victim' - you know what you are worth and you will get a job from someone who appreciates what you have to offer.

If it's any consolation, I never got a job that was posted on proz.com, not even ones that I thought I was a perfect candidate for. I don't apply any more. More often these days I am approached by agencies who find me. I go through the procedure, application form, contract, NDA, etc. Sometimes they have a job right away, sometimes a year from now, when they get a job in my language combination and specialty, they have me in their database and I suddenly get a request from them. Spruce up your profile and your resumé, become a PRO, and see what happens.

[Edited at 2012-09-12 15:36 GMT]
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:26
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
It is frustrating and unfair, Pedro Sep 12, 2012

Pedro Godfroid wrote:
They make me sign NDA and all sort of stuff, they make me send them special CV and all kinds of details, they make me do all kinds of tests and finally they announce that I've been chosen for the job and that they'll send me the source right away. And nothing comes.

Unfortunately all we can do is avoid companies who give the impression of being like that. You get a nose for them after a while. I start by asking (and then demanding, if necessary) their explicit acceptance of my rates and payment terms. If they won't/can't give me that, then the whole circus stops there. A special CV would be out, too. NDAs can wait until there's the first job (nothing to disclose until then, after all) and I'm very selective about doing free tests. Coming all together, these requests would make me back off fast.

Is it possible to denounce this behaviour without being a full-member and have access to the blue board? This kind of proceeding are blatant *lies* and I think they should be known so everybody knows what to expect form this type of agency.

Paying members can't do anything about it either, Pedro. We haven't worked for them (duh...!) so we can't criticise them. I can understand that it would be too open to abuse, but it's a shame there's nothing we can do to warn others about the (potential) waste of time. Maybe these people are fine to work with in the end, when you've jumped through enough hoops to prove that you'll always behave yourself and play the underdog. But I don't know - that sort of relationship just isn't for me.

Pedro Godfroid
Pedro Godfroid
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
lie Sep 12, 2012

Natalie wrote:

Pedro Godfroid wrote:

First of all, I don't think you (or me, or anybody else) have the right to call anyone a "blatant liar" in such cases. Do you know all the circumstances of the project? No. Do you have any idea why the end customer might suspend or cancel the project? No. So why calling names?

[Edited at 2012-09-12 15:12 GMT]

Well, they told me that they were going to send me the material to translate it and they did not. I may be old-fashioned and simple but for me, it's a lie.

Look at it from the other side. If I say I'm going to do the job and I do not deliver, I would not be able to argue that my circumstances changed and I'm sorry but I'll still be open to future work for them...

They could have said something along the lines that I met the requirements for the job and that, *maybe*, I'll have some chance to get the job. Telling me that I got the job and that they were going to send me the material was callous and insensitive.

Anyway, I see it's hopeless. As my dad used to say: "Le pot de terre contre le pot de fer"...

Pedro Godfroid
Pedro Godfroid
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
sorry for the misunderstanding Sep 12, 2012

Tina Vonhof wrote:

I fear I did not explained myself clearly.

I have applied to many jobs and I know it is how you say. But the cases I was writing about are a bit different. *Very* different from my point of view. They told me that I got the job and that they were going to send me the materials and it was *not* true.

If it's any consolation, I never got a job that was posted on proz.com, not even ones that I thought I was a perfect candidate for. I don't apply any more. More often these days I am approached by agencies who find me. I go through the procedure, application form, contract, NDA, etc. Sometimes they have a job right away, sometimes a year from now, when they get a job in my language combination and specialty, they have me in their database and I suddenly get a request from them. Spruce up your profile and your resumé, become a PRO, and see what happens.

[Edited at 2012-09-12 15:36 GMT]

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Two cents more Sep 12, 2012

Pedro Godfroid wrote:

The same as any experienced sales person, any independent professional must be aware that customers, especially potential customers, do not always do what we expect and not even what they say they shall do.

You should not pay attention to what potential customers promise, but to what they do, the same as with any other person in your personal life.

Pedro Godfroid
Pedro Godfroid
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Sep 12, 2012

Sheila Wilson wrote:

Pedro Godfroid wrote:
They make me sign NDA and all sort of stuff, they make me send them special CV and all kinds of details, they make me do all kinds of tests and finally they announce that I've been chosen for the job and that they'll send me the source right away. And nothing comes.

Unfortunately all we can do is avoid companies who give the impression of being like that. You get a nose for them after a while. I start by asking (and then demanding, if necessary) their explicit acceptance of my rates and payment terms. If they won't/can't give me that, then the whole circus stops there. A special CV would be out, too. NDAs can wait until there's the first job (nothing to disclose until then, after all) and I'm very selective about doing free tests. Coming all together, these requests would make me back off fast.

Paying members can't do anything about it either, Pedro. We haven't worked for them (duh...!) so we can't criticise them. I can understand that it would be too open to abuse, but it's a shame there's nothing we can do to warn others about the (potential) waste of time. Maybe these people are fine to work with in the end, when you've jumped through enough hoops to prove that you'll always behave yourself and play the underdog. But I don't know - that sort of relationship just isn't for me.

Thanks for your empathy and understanding, Sheila. Often it's much more useful than advice that fails. And it's what I need now. So tx again.

Pedro Godfroid
Pedro Godfroid
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You're right Sep 12, 2012

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

Pedro Godfroid wrote:

The same as any experienced sales person, any independent professional must be aware that customers, especially potential customers, do not always do what we expect and not even what they say they shall do.

You should not pay attention to what potential customers promise, but to what they do, the same as with any other person in your personal life.

You're right.

That, among other things, is one of the reasons why I'm such a lousy commercial person, seller and marketer.

And in my personal life, I've always had a lot of luck, so I always trusted everybody and it has worked well for me. Especially in the love department. So it's very difficult for me at 60 to begin distrusting everybody and to think they're out to get me or something.

When I give my word, I give my word, end of the story. And I expect people to do the same, especially professionally. I never missed a date, never failed to get a project on time or under the specifications. I know not everybody does but I'm not changing at my age and expect professionals to behave in a professional manner.

From the answers I received, it is clear there is nothing I can do. It's the pot of clay against the pot of steel and frack me. But at least I can vent a bit of steam. I really need it after this let down... Hell, this last one was going to be my first job after all these months of searching...

Well, another one bites the dust...

Melanie Meyer
Melanie Meyer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:26
Member (2010)
English to German
+ ...
paperwork jungle Sep 13, 2012

Sorry to hear that, Pedro. That does indeed sound like a frustrating situation.

From my own experience, I have found that the agencies that make you fill out the most paperwork and make you jump through the most hoops ahead of time, ironically end up sending you the least work, if any at all. I have heard other translators mention the same phenomenon.

In any case, I hope that you will have much more luck with your next potential client!

Jean Chao
Jean Chao  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:26
English to Chinese
+ ...
It takes 2-3 years to weed out the insincere agencies Sep 13, 2012

Melanie Meyer wrote:

Sorry to hear that, Pedro. That does indeed sound like a frustrating situation.

From my own experience, I have found that the agencies that make you fill out the most paperwork and make you jump through the most hoops ahead of time, ironically end up sending you the least work, if any at all. I have heard other translators mention the same phenomenon.

In any case, I hope that you will have much more luck with your next potential client!

I have the same experience with Melanie. When I examine my "lapsed" client files, I found quite a few directories created for agencies with only "admin" subdirectory, which means only paperwork but no real work. Ironically, some of those agencies keep coming back to Proz.com to post new jobs in my language pairs. It makes you wonder.

Some of my best agency clients use references as their final step of screening. Even though some colleagues might think this is a controversial practice for an agency and freelancer relationship, I kind of think this is a "sincerity" indicator. When agencies take the trouble to even email your references and collect information, they invest more of their resources in you. Usually, it shows that you have a higher chance at that moment to be a longer-term partner with them. Of course, no one can predict what will happen between the time that you're "accepted" and assignment of a real job. Such is a freelancer's life.

Pedro, a translator from small agency I used to work with told me that it took five years to get his work established. Working in the corporate world full-time before translating full-time professionally, I wasn't quite used to the rules of the game in this industry too. Whenever I thought about quitting the game (which is a lot at the time when I was only trying to fill my spare time productively) , I'd count the days passed and decide to hang in there for one more day. Life has its way of making arrangements. Almost always for me, a milestone job would come in right after the thought of quitting which reinforced my decision to give this job another chance. The best would only come after the worst is over. Cheers.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to denounce bad companies?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »