Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Translation agency does not confirm minimum rate before test is completed - is it worth it?
Thread poster: Sergei Nikolenko
Ligia Dias Costa
Ligia Dias Costa  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 07:45
English to Portuguese
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
I second Tomás Oct 16, 2009

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

I have had this situation a couple of times in the past.

In these cases, I feel it is in the best interest of both parties to confirm your absolute minimum rate before proceeding with the test. If you ask the agency before doing the test and they confirm that your minimum rate is something they could work with, then do the test and everybody is happy. And if they tell you upfront that your minimum rate is impossible to meet, then thank them for the opportunity and tell them that you will be happy to cooperate with them if the budget for similar jobs improves in the future.

It does not make any sense for you to do the test before confirming this, as it will be frustrating for you (you would have worked half a day for nothing) and for them (they spent time and resources evaluating a translator they cannot use).

Also, there MUST be something we, sometimes, forget when working and this is respect. Yes, R - E - S - P - E - C - T, between the client and the translator. They are not doing us a favor nor are we. On the contrary, WE are doing them a favor by doing the unpaid test. Do you go into a shop and ask the clerk "I want to have this sweater on me for one day, to see if I like it"? Or, "I want to take a small can of beans with me for free to see if they taste good"? You can't do this, can you?

So, if a client, asks for a unpaid test and does not engage himself into price discussing before the test is done, you 'are betting on a lose-lose situation.

That's my view and I do it like this.

Ligia

freelancer-indi
freelancer-indi
India
Local time: 12:15
Turkish to English
Be a professional always ........ Oct 16, 2009

Be a Professional always ....... , if there are some criteria, for selecting resources, indeed, u need to go thru that, may be they want to evaluate you, because you are not going for a per. interview in their office, so only way to know you, and your professional ability, style of work, etc thru a test, and the agency is correct !!!

And if they are in a position to afford you, and they meet their requirements, surely they will contact you for further step........
... See more
Be a Professional always ....... , if there are some criteria, for selecting resources, indeed, u need to go thru that, may be they want to evaluate you, because you are not going for a per. interview in their office, so only way to know you, and your professional ability, style of work, etc thru a test, and the agency is correct !!!

And if they are in a position to afford you, and they meet their requirements, surely they will contact you for further step........

Because, i used to get many reference checi for the translators i worked with, for their registration with that agency........

I feel its the true professionalism..........

[Edited at 2009-10-16 09:19 GMT]
Collapse

Henrik Pipoyan
Henrik Pipoyan  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:45
Member (2004)
English to Armenian
They should pay Oct 16, 2009

It's unusual, but I can still understand an agency that wants to see your translation first, and then decide weather or not they wish to work with you at the rate you require (rather than just accepting or rejecting your services). There may be many reasons for that. And it's also normal that they'd like to see their own text translated, and not one of your previously translated texts. But in that case they should be prepared to pay for the test, especially if the test is more than one or two pa... See more
It's unusual, but I can still understand an agency that wants to see your translation first, and then decide weather or not they wish to work with you at the rate you require (rather than just accepting or rejecting your services). There may be many reasons for that. And it's also normal that they'd like to see their own text translated, and not one of your previously translated texts. But in that case they should be prepared to pay for the test, especially if the test is more than one or two paragraphs.Collapse

Gina W
Gina W
United States
Local time: 02:45
Member (2003)
French to English
You should probably trust your instincts Oct 16, 2009

If you have doubts about a certain situation you should probably trust your professional instincts. So if you are wondering whether or not something is even worth it, then it may very well be that it is not worth it - to you, at least, and in this situation, your opinion is what counts.

Of course, just be nice and polite and you could even just decline based on other commitments or something as there would be no sense arguing with them.

HTH:)

Sergei Nikolenko
Sergei Nikolenko  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:45
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks everyone! Oct 16, 2009

Thanks everybody who posted their opinion here!
Most of you confirmed my feelings about this situation, so I decided not to deal with the agency unless they are willing to discuss the rate in advance.
In fact, in spite of a few years' experience as a freelancer, this is the first situation like that and I appreciate all those who helped me make, as I hope, the right decision.

Pablo Bouvier
Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:45
German to Spanish
+ ...
Translation agency does not confirm minimum rate before test is completed - is it worth it? No! Nov 10, 2009

Sergei Nikolenko wrote:

Hi all,

I would be interested in your opinion about the following situation.

I replied to a post by a translation agency and stated my minimum rate. They sent me a test (in different topics so, taken altogether, it is quite long) + a detailed form to fill out. When I asked them if they will be able to match my minimum rate (provided my test is approved) they replied saying that they cannot discuss rates before the test is done and the form is filled out. More than that, they confessed that they would choose the best translators with the best rate offer.

Now, it would take around half a day to do the test and complete the form and I am wondering if it is worthwhile to deal with such an agency? I feel rather uncomfortable with their attitude...

What do you think?

[Edited at 2009-10-15 18:56 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-10-15 18:57 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-10-15 19:01 GMT]

Each one must take the decisions that considers opportune for his business. But, with more than 30 years in this sector, I can explain you which has been my own experience so far : I never received an interesting work form agencies who had requested me for an unpaid test.

Serious companies send you a slightly extensive, but full paid translation to do. If they think you are what they are looking for, they will call you back. If not, they will forget you. Our time (time is money...) is the only real thing we own. Therefore, I think that there does not exist any valid motive for giving it to the others for free, unless we take consciously such decision.

[Editado a las 2009-11-10 18:22 GMT]

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Another situation Nov 10, 2009

Today a Spanish company contacted me asking for my CV for a potential job.

I asked them about the approximate rate they foresee to pay (I tend to ask these things here in Spain as my rate is usually high for Spanish agencies), and they report that they cannot tell me until I send them my CV.

When I stated that my Proz.com profile is enough to generally assess whether I am a professional translator adequate for the project and that I would not send out my CV (with custom
... See more

I asked them about the approximate rate they foresee to pay (I tend to ask these things here in Spain as my rate is usually high for Spanish agencies), and they report that they cannot tell me until I send them my CV.

When I stated that my Proz.com profile is enough to generally assess whether I am a professional translator adequate for the project and that I would not send out my CV (with customer names, my telephone number, and scanned copies of my certificates) without first knowing whether we have a chance to agree a reasonable rate, they simply stopped responding.

Is this a good attitude for agencies? I don't think so.
Collapse

Pablo Bouvier
Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
German to Spanish
+ ...
Translation agency does not confirm minimum rate before test is completed - is it worth it? Nov 10, 2009

When I stated that my Proz.com profile is enough to generally assess whether I am a professional translator adequate for the project and that I would not send out my CV (with customer names, my telephone number, and scanned copies of my certificates) without first knowing whether we have a chance to agree a reasonable rate, they simply stopped responding.

Is this a good attitude for agencies? I don't think so.

I never understood why translation agencies asks for a résumé. I do not believe it is important for them to know what I do with my life. The only thing that should matter them are two things: If I am (or not) a good and reliable translator and if we are both able to achieve an economic agreement. In my humble opinion, the rest is only bullshit.

Not long ago I saw a translation offer from a prestigious German motorcar producer, which was demanding to have one vehicle of the above mentioned mark. I own a high scale one. But, I go on from certain requirements...

[Editado a las 2009-11-10 20:14 GMT]

Freelance DK
Freelance DK  Identity Verified
Denmark
English to Danish
+ ...
Free bread? Nov 10, 2009

[/quote] Serious companies send you a slightly extensive, but full paid translation to do. If they think you are what they are looking for, they will call you back. If not, they will forget you. Our time (time is money...) is the only real thing we own. [/quote]

Agree - how many get free bread at the baker before buying??

Another thing is the constant asking for CV? Im not applying for a job posision and
will not send out my CV to everyone! If they need I can se
... See more
[/quote] Serious companies send you a slightly extensive, but full paid translation to do. If they think you are what they are looking for, they will call you back. If not, they will forget you. Our time (time is money...) is the only real thing we own. [/quote]

Agree - how many get free bread at the baker before buying??

Another thing is the constant asking for CV? Im not applying for a job posision and
will not send out my CV to everyone! If they need I can send some references or better
some short samples of my previous work.

I offer a product called translation - so no free samples or need for my complete CV..again who ask for a CV at the baker
Collapse

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Degree of safety Nov 10, 2009

Most of the time, I will give the link to my ProZ.com profile in my e-mail signature. This is the information available publicly and a solid basis for discussion. And, even if my "presentation" is downloadable through my profile, I do not reveal anything about my clients. So clearly the emphasis is put on expertise, without being polluted by trivia such as: "Did you translate this for a direct client or for an agency?" (irrelevant) or "What is your favourite colour?" (my business).
What upsets me most is yet another method used by agencies, namely the search after keywords in your "résumé", quite in the same fashion HR managers do it when they want to save time (hence the request for MS Word documents only). I may be approachable, but IMHO the most convenient format for such a document is still PDF. So what?

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
I think you already know the answer Nov 10, 2009

But we'll all back you up on it!

Gudrun Wolfrath wrote:

I think your gut feeling is right.
If they can't even answer a simple question for free, why should you bother and work hours for them without the slightest guarantee?

Julie Barber
Julie Barber  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
No, I wouldn't bother Nov 11, 2009

I wouldn't bother either.

If they can't tell you if they can provide your rate, it's probably because they can't.

There's no point in waiting for possible surprises....

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Does not confirm the minimum rate? Of course not, why should they... Nov 11, 2009

The agency is on the fishing trip! Provided...

i) you did the test and
ii) you passed (or even did not)

they would add you to their books. On the other hand you are in their books anyhow, so why bother, they may even contact you down the road when they happen to have some work to do.

In my humble opinion, were they a serious enterprise, they would not handle their future business partner in such a way.

There's for sure others waiting to
... See more
The agency is on the fishing trip! Provided...

i) you did the test and
ii) you passed (or even did not)

they would add you to their books. On the other hand you are in their books anyhow, so why bother, they may even contact you down the road when they happen to have some work to do.

In my humble opinion, were they a serious enterprise, they would not handle their future business partner in such a way.

There's for sure others waiting to meet you. Believe me, I am talking from (sometimes hard and sad) experience.

Regards

Vito

[Edited at 2009-11-11 13:16 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation agency does not confirm minimum rate before test is completed - is it worth it?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »