Displaying German characters with Japanese default language
Thread poster: mfiedor
mfiedor
mfiedor
English to German
Sep 15, 2004

I am running the german version of Windows XP and my default language is set to Japanese to allow japanese programs to be installed and run.

However, the german umlauted characters do not appear in texts, rather they are blocks and odd japanese characters instead.

Is there any way to keep the Japanese default language setting as it is and allow the German texts to be read?

Shigeki Ohbayashi
Shigeki Ohbayashi  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 22:43
Member (2004)
French to Japanese
+ ...
Setting of languages Sep 16, 2004

Bonjour, mfiedor

I use always Japanese and French with Wndows XP.
Did you verified "Setting of Regions and Lamguages" which is found in the "Control panel" after "Start" ?

Perhaps, you'll be able there to set correctly the languages.

A +

Sushitaro

Desi_vdb
Desi_vdb
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:43
Dutch to English
+ ...
had the same with greek Sep 18, 2004

At work, I have two languages installed: english and Greek, and english as default. I had problems displaying greek text in some programs (not all funnily enough).

1. Make sure you choose the correct font for the german text (so not a japanese one).

2. Put in your windows cd, go to the control panel, regional options- general, advanced: and there select everything that may have anything to do with the german font. It can't hurt if you install more than required. You may
... See more
At work, I have two languages installed: english and Greek, and english as default. I had problems displaying greek text in some programs (not all funnily enough).

1. Make sure you choose the correct font for the german text (so not a japanese one).

2. Put in your windows cd, go to the control panel, regional options- general, advanced: and there select everything that may have anything to do with the german font. It can't hurt if you install more than required. You may have to reboot your system for the changes to take effect.

This should solve the problem.
Collapse

mfiedor
mfiedor
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
I installed everything German but didnt work Sep 19, 2004

I installed everything german, it didnt work because it uses the Japanese default font to read documents.

Somehow I need to be able to have a japanese font that supports umlauts or have two default fonts available. Maybe I can add fonts to a list.

For instance, a textfile or a subtitle file will not read the umlaut characters correctly.

mfiedor
mfiedor
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
I did everyting possible in the Regional and Language settings Sep 19, 2004

I think some windows magic is needed here.

Desi_vdb
Desi_vdb
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:43
Dutch to English
+ ...
select another font? Nov 6, 2004

sorry for very late answer. Haven't been to the forum in a while.

If you are talking about word e.g., select the text you want to display properly and rightclick -font, and try another font type.

Also, save the file as (file-save as) and in the lower bar, select "encoded text". Does this work?

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 16:43
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Save as *.rtf Nov 6, 2004

and then select all and try different fonts. RTF often displays regional characters that Word doesn't. E.g., you can open *.rtf document in Linux Open Office or even Mac and characters are right, while with Word it is very difficult.

Uldis

mfiedor wrote:

I am running the german version of Windows XP and my default language is set to Japanese to allow japanese programs to be installed and run.

However, the german umlauted characters do not appear in texts, rather they are blocks and odd japanese characters instead.

Is there any way to keep the Japanese default language setting as it is and allow the German texts to be read?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Displaying German characters with Japanese default language

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »