Thread poster: mark24609
mark24609
mark24609
United States
Local time: 14:36
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 4, 2006

I have been studying Spanish (native language is English) since High School some 34 years, and I have done several translations, recently for the University of Rochester. I was wondering if anyone can tell me how I can become a certified translator, and what is the best route to take to make myself more credible

Thanks
Mark

Stephen Rifkind
Stephen Rifkind  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 00:36
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
ATA Mar 4, 2006

Try contacting the ATA (American Translator Association). They have schedule tests in the U.S.

Stephen Rifkind
Hebrew/Russian/French to English

Francisco Pavez (X)
Francisco Pavez (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
English to Spanish
+ ...
Welcome Mar 4, 2006

Welcome Mark.

34 years of study and experience is quite credible. Some clients will insist on certifications and other credentials but most will only require a short test translation, so don't really worry about the certification. Many of us have worked for years without them.

If you are required to have a certification check out

http://www.atanet.org/

they are y
... See more
Welcome Mark.

34 years of study and experience is quite credible. Some clients will insist on certifications and other credentials but most will only require a short test translation, so don't really worry about the certification. Many of us have worked for years without them.

If you are required to have a certification check out

http://www.atanet.org/

they are your national association and their certification is one of the most widely accepted in the business.

Welcome again and best of luck.

Francisco
Collapse

mark24609
mark24609
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Mar 5, 2006

Thanks, Francisco

That helps a lot

Mark

mashdun
mashdun
English
Translator Opportunities May 31, 2008

Hola Everyone! I joined the website in research for my girlfriend that lives in Bolivia. She went to the university (language degree) there and knows... of course Spanish, English, French, and Portuguese. Currently she works as an English teacher (freelance) for children in her city and also for an institution as a document translator. The company she works for is the same equivalent as a US non-profit. She translates letters sent to and from sponsored children in her country.

The
... See more
Hola Everyone! I joined the website in research for my girlfriend that lives in Bolivia. She went to the university (language degree) there and knows... of course Spanish, English, French, and Portuguese. Currently she works as an English teacher (freelance) for children in her city and also for an institution as a document translator. The company she works for is the same equivalent as a US non-profit. She translates letters sent to and from sponsored children in her country.

The pay for this work is decent for Bolivia's economy but ridiculously low for the same work done in the US. She makes about $500 usd a month for this work... working 45 hours a week, translating up to 100 letters a day, normally about 50 per day. She will start next month on a new pay scale of $.50 per letter she translates.... that's per letter, not word.

I want to help her use her abilities by using the internet as a freelancer but trying to get as much information for her before I open the discussion with her to do freelance work. Should she get a certification? Is it possible to get online? What would you think would be a good starting point for her to broaden her available work? I am a web designer by trade and have thought about building her a personal website for her service, but it may be better for her to do work through a website like this. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Gracias!

Matt Duncan
Warner Robins, GA
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation certification

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »