Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:04
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I like it! Apr 15, 2010

Personally I think it is great reading, and love it when I receive it my office in Spain. I usually take it home and read it at random during the month.

texjax DDS PhD
texjax DDS PhD  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:04
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
I like it too Apr 15, 2010

I find it very informative, and I read it with great interest.
I also like the pictures on the cover: they are always very tasteful.

Michele Johnson
Michele Johnson  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Not that excited Apr 15, 2010

To be honest, I'm usually underwhelmed. Overall it seems a bit amateur to me, the articles sometimes seem padded, and I feel like it's about half ads.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
The Chronicle Apr 15, 2010

philgoddard wrote:
Just interested in your opinions.

I used to be rather disappointed with our local translators' association's (SATI) quarterly magazine (called Muratho), but after joining the ATA and receiving the Chronicle I came to realise that the quality of our local association's magazine is actually not half bad.

The Chronicle suffers from the same things that any association magazine would suffer from, namely an acute shortage of good content. Most editions contain one or two very useful or interesting articles, but the bulk of the content is no better than blog post quality.

In the days before the internet, such amateurishly written (or hastely written) articles would have been quite acceptable in an association magazaine. The purpose of the magazine is, after all, not to convey information but to create cohesion and a feeling of participation within the association.

There are several columns (regular short contributions) in the Chronicle, and columns is one way (for the editorial staff) of ensuring that there is always useful content, but I get the impression that some of the columns are written in haste or about topics that easily age or are relevant only to a very specific group of translators.

For a translators' association's magazine, it's not too bad. It looks very professional, at least.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Good news! Apr 15, 2010

Samuel Murray wrote:
The Chronicle suffers from the same things that any association magazine would suffer from, namely an acute shortage of good content. Most editions contain one or two very useful or interesting articles, but the bulk of the content is no better than blog post quality.

I reckon this is good news: means that translators (i.e. the people who write in these magazines) are really busy!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What do you think of the ATA Chronicle?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »