Should I join an association?
Thread poster: Michelle Nava
Michelle Nava
Michelle Nava
French to English
+ ...
Apr 6, 2008

Hello,

I want to join a translation association and am looking at the Institute of Translation & Interpreting (ITI) based in London and the SFT (Société française des Traducteurs).

As an anglophone translator (French to English) based in Paris, would it be better to join the French SFT or ITI based in London?

Also, are any of you part of several associations? Is it better to stick to just one?

Reasons for joining:
I am fairly new to
... See more
Hello,

I want to join a translation association and am looking at the Institute of Translation & Interpreting (ITI) based in London and the SFT (Société française des Traducteurs).

As an anglophone translator (French to English) based in Paris, would it be better to join the French SFT or ITI based in London?

Also, are any of you part of several associations? Is it better to stick to just one?

Reasons for joining:
I am fairly new to the profession (1.5 years as an in-house translator) and would like to network with other translators and participate in professional development seminars.

A big thanks.
Collapse

Karen Tkaczyk
Karen Tkaczyk  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:54
French to English
+ ...
Join all you can afford Jan 20, 2009

Networking only increases your chance of interesting work.
I'd start with the association in the country in which you live, then add others afterwards.
Karen

Paola Gatto
Paola Gatto  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 11:54
Member (2004)
German to Italian
+ ...
I am happy I did Jan 28, 2009

Joining an association is particularly meaningful for a translator or an interpreter. It enhances your visibility as a professional in work relationships and helps you identify yourself with a group and a work policy, which you abide by, thus simplifying the relation to your clients when a job is assigned.

I joined AITI in Italy when I was still working as an employee. I would recommend an association like this. It is a large trade association, which qualifies professionals throug
... See more
Joining an association is particularly meaningful for a translator or an interpreter. It enhances your visibility as a professional in work relationships and helps you identify yourself with a group and a work policy, which you abide by, thus simplifying the relation to your clients when a job is assigned.

I joined AITI in Italy when I was still working as an employee. I would recommend an association like this. It is a large trade association, which qualifies professionals through rather demanding entry exams.

Unfortunately, as you know, in most (all?) countries translators and interpreters do not conclude their courses of study by a state exam as any other professional, be it a lawyer, a doctor or else.

Therefore the passing of an entry exam, that tests your language skills, your translation and interpreting capabilities is important and adds value to your work performance and to the work relationships with your clients.

However, even if you do not choose an association like this, you can take advantage of translators' directories, agreements with bookshops for the purchase of dictionaries, the spreading of news regarding the world of translation and interpreting, etc.
Collapse

Sara Senft
Sara Senft  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:54
Spanish to English
+ ...
Go for it! Jan 28, 2009

I would definitely recommend joining a professional organization. I joined my local translators association around two weeks ago and it's been one of the best professional decisions I ever made.

Benefits:

1) So far, two agencies have approached me about working with them.
2) I can get a quick answer from fellow translators/interpreters, including some that live in the same state.
3) I get frequent notices of events, trainings, etc. that would benefit me
... See more
I would definitely recommend joining a professional organization. I joined my local translators association around two weeks ago and it's been one of the best professional decisions I ever made.

Benefits:

1) So far, two agencies have approached me about working with them.
2) I can get a quick answer from fellow translators/interpreters, including some that live in the same state.
3) I get frequent notices of events, trainings, etc. that would benefit me professionally.

And that's what I have seen so far. More benefits will come.
Collapse

tradling (X)
tradling (X)
French to English
Thank you! Feb 20, 2009

Thank you Karen, Paola and Sara for your valuable insights!

I am looking forward to networking with other translators and there seem to be only benefits from joining.

Thanks again!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Should I join an association?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »