Wordnet. This is what you call a dictionary!!
Thread poster: Dave Greatrix
Dave Greatrix
Dave Greatrix  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:13
Dutch to English
+ ...
Jan 28, 2002

Quotes taken from a press article 22 January 2002: http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/index.ssf?/page1/ledger/15a30b1.html

\"George Miller is still not sure what he was thinking when he set out to write his own dictionary. By his own definition he was mad (meaning \"brainsick, crazy, demented, distracted, disturbed, sick, unbalanced, unhinged-- affected with madness or
... See more
Quotes taken from a press article 22 January 2002: http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/index.ssf?/page1/ledger/15a30b1.html

\"George Miller is still not sure what he was thinking when he set out to write his own dictionary. By his own definition he was mad (meaning \"brainsick, crazy, demented, distracted, disturbed, sick, unbalanced, unhinged-- affected with madness or insanity\").

Nearly two decades ago, the Princeton University psychology professor needed a decent computerized dictionary to help devise experimental tests to determine how children\'s brains learn language. The major dictionary publishers, however, all wanted several thousand dollars in fees before they would turn over their software.

\"I said, \'The hell with you, I\'ll make my own dictionary,\' \" recalled Miller, 81.\"

\"Instead of just listing the words and their definitions, Miller decided to show how every word is linked to another. Type in the word \"tree\" and the user gets not only the definition, synonyms and antonyms, but the hypernyms (a tree is a kind of what?), meronyms (what are the parts of a tree?) and more. The user can also find a list of thousands of trees, from yellowwood tree to the Tree of Knowledge, and even all words that contain the letters t-r-e-e.\"

\" Recently, he received an e-mail from Oxford University in England requesting permission to use the term \"WordNet.\" Oxford, publisher of the 20-volume Oxford English Dictionary -- the gold standard among scholars -- is considering putting together an online web of intersecting words modeled after Miller\'s Princeton project. \"

\"Oxford is developing its own WordNet,\" Miller said with a grin. \"That means you\'ve really arrived, when the dictionary publishers start stealing your stuff.\"

You\'ll find WordNet @ : http://www.notredame.ac.jp/cgi-bin/wn

Well worth a look.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-01-28 13:04 ]
Collapse

DR. RICHARD BAVRY (X)
DR. RICHARD BAVRY (X)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Fascinating! Jan 28, 2002

More than well worth a look...a fabulous feast!

Many thanks for this!

Rich

Quote:

Well worth a look.

Patricia Lutteral
Patricia Lutteral  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 07:13
English to Spanish
+ ...
Great! Jan 28, 2002

Thanks, David, this is amazing.

Best regards,

Patricia
[addsig]

Ester Vidal (X)
Ester Vidal (X)
Local time: 12:13
English to Catalan
+ ...
Fantastic!!!! Jan 28, 2002

Marvellous, terrific,tremendous, wonderful, extraordinary...

Many thanks for that,
[addsig]

CATNIP (X)
CATNIP (X)
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Thanks for a great tip! Jan 28, 2002

Finally a dictionary that offers more than the standard stuff. A joy to look up words in this one!

Judy Rojas
Judy Rojas  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 06:13
Spanish to English
+ ...
Great job! Jan 28, 2002

Thanks! You should at least get some Kudoz points for such magnificent contribution.
[addsig]

Laurent Slowack
Laurent Slowack  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:13
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
What's in a name? Jan 28, 2002

Here we can find what\'s in it. I join congratulations to this contribution.

Paul Roige (X)
Paul Roige (X)
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Whoaaa!! Jan 28, 2002

Far out!, if it\'s what it seems, it\'s bye to hard copy monolinguals then...

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 06:13
SITE FOUNDER
Version 1.7.1 Jan 28, 2002

Version 1.7.1 is more manageable:

http://www.cogsci.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/webwn1.7.1

Robert INGLEDEW
Robert INGLEDEW  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
THANKS FOR THE TIP Jan 29, 2002

I am still a hard nut to crack and prefer conventional dictionaries, because you are not always sure if a web source is realiable. I generally go to the web when the dictionaries give me no answers. However, I have found that www.acronymfinder.com is very useful when I do not know the meaning of an acronym.

Robert Ingledew

Adolpho J Silva
Adolpho J Silva  Identity Verified
Brazil
German to English
+ ...
WordNet Feb 1, 2002

Dear David,

The WordNet Dictionary is simply outstanding ! I\'ve never run accross such a complete work. Thanks for your indication, which is extremely helpful to all translators.

Greetings from Rio !

Sincerely,

Adolpho J Silva

Accredited Translator

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: At poster's request.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordnet. This is what you call a dictionary!!

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »