Thread poster: Babych
Babych
Babych
Ukraine
Local time: 02:28
Spanish to Russian
+ ...
Oct 23, 2012

Dear colleagues, I reside in Ukraine and do translations and interpretation from Spanish, English to Russian and Ukrainian. Circumstances oblige me to move to Toronto, Canada. Could you advise me, those who work there - what kind of certification should I pass through and what steps to perform to be allowed/able to work in Ontario? Thanks in advance!

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 19:28
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Certification (or not) Oct 23, 2012

You do not need any certification as long as you do not use the words "Certified Translator".

You can work as a translator without certification except for the government - most government departments require membership in the Association of Translation and Interpreters of Ontario - see http://www.atio.on.ca/ for more information. Some large companies do as well, but that's their internal policy.
... See more
You do not need any certification as long as you do not use the words "Certified Translator".

You can work as a translator without certification except for the government - most government departments require membership in the Association of Translation and Interpreters of Ontario - see http://www.atio.on.ca/ for more information. Some large companies do as well, but that's their internal policy.

If you wish to become a member of ATIO it is a question of passing an exam. Once you are a member you can use the title Certified Translator and initials, and you will be eligible for government work.

Of course, all this assumes you have received authorization to work from Immigration Canada. You are not allowed to work at all until you have received this, but since you say you are moving to Toronto I assume you already know that.

[Edited at 2012-10-27 10:44 GMT]
Collapse

Babych
Babych
Ukraine
Spanish to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you very much Oct 23, 2012

in my case it is about open work permit not a permanent residence status but i assume with such a permit i can work having accomplished steps kindly mentioned by you. thanks again!!!

Karina Pellegrineschi
Karina Pellegrineschi  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 19:28
English to Spanish
+ ...
open work permit Oct 24, 2012

Yes, you can work with an open work permit in Canada except for health care or daycare positions or as primary or secondary school teacher. Those are the exceptions of the "open work" permit. You can work as a freelancer or in-house.

In some government departments, permanence residence is required, for instance, if you want to be an interpreter for Immigration Canada. Others require a “police clearance” so if you are a temporary resident, normally you cannot apply because they
... See more
Yes, you can work with an open work permit in Canada except for health care or daycare positions or as primary or secondary school teacher. Those are the exceptions of the "open work" permit. You can work as a freelancer or in-house.

In some government departments, permanence residence is required, for instance, if you want to be an interpreter for Immigration Canada. Others require a “police clearance” so if you are a temporary resident, normally you cannot apply because they don’t have your criminal records from other countries. But if you wish to be an interpreter, sometimes you can obtain a criminal record certificate from the police to work with vulnerable sectors, and you are ok. It depends on the employer or agency.

Temporary residents can study only 6 months. I you wish to take up any training or course longer than that, you must apply for a study visa too.

Regards

Karina
Collapse

Babych
Babych
Ukraine
Spanish to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Oct 26, 2012

Thank you Karina very much for the detalisation. It is really useful to me. I hope that on knowing all that there will be opportunity to find something..

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
NancyLynn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advice on licensing in Toronto needed please

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »