A new client with hotmail account wants my home address and tel number to send me a cheque.
Thread poster: Maria Cristina Cavassa
Maria Cristina Cavassa
Maria Cristina Cavassa
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Oct 19, 2015

Hello,

a new potential client says he's going to pay me in advance, but only through check, and that to send it he needs my address and telephone number. I don't know why, but it sounds weird to me. I looked for his name and address on the web and I couldn't find them, but I don't know if there is the possibility of a fraud or not.

I would very much appreciate an advice.

Thank you for your time.

Alejandro Cavalitto
Alejandro Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 12:13
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
This is likely to be a scam Oct 19, 2015

Hello Maria,

From your description, it is likely this is an advance payment scam. You can find a definition of this scam at the Scam Alert center: http://www.proz.com/about/translator-scam-alerts/#advance_payment_overpayment_scam

If you supply the name and email address used by this person, I can send out an alert with that infor
... See more
Hello Maria,

From your description, it is likely this is an advance payment scam. You can find a definition of this scam at the Scam Alert center: http://www.proz.com/about/translator-scam-alerts/#advance_payment_overpayment_scam

If you supply the name and email address used by this person, I can send out an alert with that information to the community. If you prefer not to post that information publicly, you can submit a support request with it instead. Thank you in advance.

Best regards,
Alejandro
Collapse

Maria Cristina Cavassa
Maria Cristina Cavassa
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'll write to the support Oct 19, 2015

Hello Alejandro,

Thank you for your prompt response.

I'm quite sure it was a scam because when I told him that I had to reject his offer, he just didn't answer to me anymore.

I was going to write his name here but then I read the forum rules and made up my mind, so I'll write to the support.

Thank you very much.

Kind regards,

Maria Cristina

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:13
Spanish to English
+ ...
Client + hotmail address (and no other verified contact details) = scam Oct 19, 2015

Maria Cristina Cavassa wrote:

Hello,

a new potential client says he's going to pay me in advance, but only through check, and that to send it he needs my address and telephone number. I don't know why, but it sounds weird to me. I looked for his name and address on the web and I couldn't find them, but I don't know if there is the possibility of a fraud or not.

I would very much appreciate an advice.

Thank you for your time.

[Edited at 2015-10-19 20:38 GMT]

Merab Dekano
Merab Dekano  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Many agencies do not accept emails from "gmail/hotmail and similar" Oct 19, 2015

"Regrettably", they mention.

Elena Pavan
Elena Pavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:13
Member (2005)
French to Italian
+ ...
Same here Oct 19, 2015

I received the same offer this morning.
First just a request for price et delivery. When I asked him more information about him, he said he was ready to pay in advance with a cheque. I did not answer his message.
I am sure it is a scam.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A new client with hotmail account wants my home address and tel number to send me a cheque.

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »