Thread poster: Graça Ribeiro
Graça Ribeiro
Graça Ribeiro  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:02
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Jun 1, 2012

Hello, everyone/anyone

I already have an opinion about the message below but would like to hear from other people, just to make sure I'm not being prejudiced.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Kind regards,
Graça Ribeiro

'Guys,

I found your details while doing some research.

Although we do currently have some Portuguese native speakers on our “books” we are always looking to improve what we offer.<
... See more
Hello, everyone/anyone

I already have an opinion about the message below but would like to hear from other people, just to make sure I'm not being prejudiced.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Kind regards,
Graça Ribeiro

'Guys,

I found your details while doing some research.

Although we do currently have some Portuguese native speakers on our “books” we are always looking to improve what we offer.

We also have some exciting new products in the final development phases which might prove to be interesting for you – like video interpreting.

Can I ask you – when you find time, of course, to complete the attached form and send back..

I appreciate your time – I would like to state here that we always like to think we treat freelance translators as equal partners….and not simply as “suppliers”.

Regards'
Collapse

Usch Pilz
Usch Pilz
Local time: 03:02
English to German
+ ...
What's next? Jun 1, 2012

"Guys"?
What's next?
"Hey dude,"?

Yeah, and we are all one great big loving family
.... until, ehm we try over-paying you with a fake traveler's-cheque or some such thing.

I am just surprised it ends with the rather bland "Regards". That's a bit of a let-down.
The least we could expect would be something along the lines of

"peace bro".

Just for consistency.

Thanks for sharing, Garca!

[Edited at 2012-0
... See more
"Guys"?
What's next?
"Hey dude,"?

Yeah, and we are all one great big loving family
.... until, ehm we try over-paying you with a fake traveler's-cheque or some such thing.

I am just surprised it ends with the rather bland "Regards". That's a bit of a let-down.

"peace bro".

Just for consistency.

Thanks for sharing, Garca!

[Edited at 2012-06-01 19:05 GMT]
Collapse

Graça Ribeiro
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Usch Jun 1, 2012

They did sign off with a friendly short name followed by the full name (which I'm not quoting following the forum rules) in a nice/colourful font type. So, some kind of consistency there after all.

There is lots of method in this madness so we'd better watch out.

Cheers,
Graça

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:02
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
I don't reply to emails with such "greetings" Jun 1, 2012

Sorry. They can do their kiddie stuff someplace else.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
A bit unprofessional, it is Jun 1, 2012

I wouldn't reply to the message either.

Graça Ribeiro
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Nicole and Tomás Jun 1, 2012

I totally agree - just like to have a second opinion on these things, to make sure.

Kind regards,
Graça

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Posh and pompous Jun 1, 2012

Why don't you try replying with some ready-made, posh & pompous message?

Crack on!

Graça Ribeiro
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Laurent Jun 1, 2012

I'll think about it - some type of 'automatic reply' to this type of message may be a good idea.

Or maybe just ignore them in a pompous manner?

Kind regards,
Graça

Nicole Schnell
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Professionalism and etiquette in emails Jun 1, 2012

I am often stunned by the lack of professionalism in initial emails from foreign countries. Makes me wonder how freelancers translators are perceived across the planet. It really ticks me off when non-US prospective clients are trying too hard on their bonding-attempts and sprinkle their first emails with "R U" instead of "are you" and other silly text messaging lingo as if all Americans would engage in teeny-speak or whatever they picked up from Hollywood movies. Or when requests from strictly ... See more
I am often stunned by the lack of professionalism in initial emails from foreign countries. Makes me wonder how freelancers translators are perceived across the planet. It really ticks me off when non-US prospective clients are trying too hard on their bonding-attempts and sprinkle their first emails with "R U" instead of "are you" and other silly text messaging lingo as if all Americans would engage in teeny-speak or whatever they picked up from Hollywood movies. Or when requests from strictly fundamentalist Middle East countries arrive and I am addressed as "Hey Nicole" as if was some slutty barmaid. What a nerve... Corporate America is still strictly traditional and I like it that way, so please drop that kiddie-speak or teen-speak or scene-speak. Not everyone lives in the ghetto or is thirteen.Collapse

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
Why is this listed under Scams? Jun 1, 2012

It's not a scam, just a genuine friendly invitation containing one badly chosen word, "guys". If I ignored every email containing a mistake, I'd be a friendless, workless hermit.

Graça Ribeiro
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Etiquette in emails is a general problem... Jun 1, 2012

...which gets worse in a professional context and even more complex when different languages, countries and cultures are involved.

I guess in some cases people just aren't proficient enough in English and perhaps should try to keep their messages simple and polite.

Also there are many different situations where you can 'get it wrong' out of pure ignorance or lack of experience - like forum posts, for example.

This may well be the case with me, Phil: perha
... See more
...which gets worse in a professional context and even more complex when different languages, countries and cultures are involved.

I guess in some cases people just aren't proficient enough in English and perhaps should try to keep their messages simple and polite.

Also there are many different situations where you can 'get it wrong' out of pure ignorance or lack of experience - like forum posts, for example.

This may well be the case with me, Phil: perhaps this post shouldn't be listed under Scams but when I received a business message with such a 'relaxed tone', I did assume there was something fishy about it. That's why I 'came' here to ask for a second opinion.

So, if I do become a friendless, workless hermit at least I'll know the reason

Thank you, 'guys' and Ms. Schnell, for all the useful feedback.

Have a nice week-end,
Graça
Collapse

Nicole Schnell
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
You never get a second chance Jun 1, 2012

... to make a first impression. This goes for clients, too.

philgoddard wrote:

It's not a scam, just a genuine friendly invitation containing one badly chosen word, "guys". If I ignored every email containing a mistake, I'd be a friendless, workless hermit.

I do agree that it should not be posted under "Scams", I also agree that there are no linguistic mistakes involved, however, if you DO have to sound as if you just hopped off your skateboard or if you just fell out of your California tanning bed, be aware that your hip-youngster-approach doesn't necessarily make you sound particularly wealthy and financially credible as a business partner.

Usch Pilz
Usch Pilz
English to German
+ ...
@philgoddard Jun 1, 2012

Hi philgoddard,

I would have posted it under "scams" as well.

Reason:
The informality of the address - well, that might just be a matter of taste or manners.

But:
Whenever I replied to one of those slightly informal yet very vague requests in the past, the next step was that I was offered a traveler's-cheque for payment. Strangely always one which had been "accidentally" made out for a much higher amount than what I was asking for. The typical o
... See more
Hi philgoddard,

I would have posted it under "scams" as well.

Reason:
The informality of the address - well, that might just be a matter of taste or manners.

But:
Whenever I replied to one of those slightly informal yet very vague requests in the past, the next step was that I was offered a traveler's-cheque for payment. Strangely always one which had been "accidentally" made out for a much higher amount than what I was asking for. The typical overpayment-scam. So old.

By now, IF I reply I always mention early on that payment by traveler's-cheque is out of the question.
And that is usually the end of all communication.
Collapse

Elizabeth Faracini
Elizabeth Faracini  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:02
Member (2010)
Italian to English
+ ...
peace bro Jun 1, 2012

Usch Pilz wrote:

That's a bit of a let-down.

"peace bro".

Just for consistency.

[Edited at 2012-06-01 19:05 GMT]

This is great!

I was just wondering the other day why an agency in the US continues sending me emails beginning with "Hey!". I'm happy to see I'm not the only one who finds this a bit inappropriate. Meanwhile, I have no idea what some sms-style acronyms mean (like LMK) and find it irritating when these are used in emails.

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
Horses for courses Jun 1, 2012

philgoddard wrote:

Sounds like a fairly laid-back bunch, fo' shizzle, but, IF you're gonna go down the mass email route (perhaps you shouldn't, but hey), we know there's the perennial prob of how to kick the missive off. No-one like "Dear Translator". I don't much care for "guys", but in a way it does a fantastic job of setting the scene - I guess that's just how they roll, or whatever.

Clearly not everyone's cup of tea, and that's fine and dandy. Perhaps, just perhaps, they're actually deliberately trying to filter out people who will have difficulting fitting with them culturally by adopting the approach they have.

So I'd give it a whirl, me. That is to say, I would reply. If I spoke Portuguese. That is not to say I'm recommending you do. We're all uptight about something. Man, they can call me "dude" every day if it floats their boat. But if they try to lay that Moneybookers or PayPal crap on me, they can do one, big style. See, we're all different.

It's OK, I've mentioned PayPal, so this can stay in the "Scams" forum now.

(d'y see what I did there?)

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

'Guys', thanks in advance for any opinions on this

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »