Pieter_H
Pieter_H  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 23:55
Norwegian to Dutch
+ ...
Jan 27, 2003

Hi all!

I gather that - again - an e-mail virus is on the loose and I would therefor like to draw everybody\'s attention to the excellent FREEWARE e-mail program Pegasus Mail.

I have been using it it for many years and have NEVER EVER had a MS-virus related problem.

It\'s a program that comes in both UK-, GE- and NL-versions.

My suggestion is to throw out Outlook and use Pegasus Mail in stead.

As has h
... See more
Hi all!

I gather that - again - an e-mail virus is on the loose and I would therefor like to draw everybody\'s attention to the excellent FREEWARE e-mail program Pegasus Mail.

I have been using it it for many years and have NEVER EVER had a MS-virus related problem.

It\'s a program that comes in both UK-, GE- and NL-versions.

My suggestion is to throw out Outlook and use Pegasus Mail in stead.

As has happened once before when i made this suggestion in the UK-NL group - I will probably again get some angry e-mail from some MS-fans accusing me of MS-bashing, but I could not care less.

Not having had any virus problem is convincing enough for me

Go and have a look at the Pegasus Mail site and download the version that suits you.

http://www.pmail.com/

Good luck!
Collapse

Marianne Renia
Marianne Renia  Identity Verified
Belgium
German to Dutch
+ ...
Agree, but ... Jan 27, 2003

Hi all!

Pieter is right, don\'t use MS Outlook. But be carefull when deleting it from your machine. Like deleting MS Internet Explorer it can cause a lot of troubles. Better just stop using it!

Marianne

Eudora-fan

Arnaud HERVE
Arnaud HERVE  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Me too... Jan 27, 2003

I use Pegasus Mail.

It\'s so great people will hardly believe it!

Karin Adamczyk (X)
Karin Adamczyk (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 17:55
French to English
Problem is with user, not program Jan 27, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-01-27 10:47, Marianne Renia wrote:

Hi all!

Pieter is right, don\'t use MS Outlook. But be carefull when deleting it from your machine. Like deleting MS Internet Explorer it can cause a lot of troubles. Better just stop using it!

Marianne

Eudora-fan

First of all, the program many people say causes problems is Outlook Express, not Outlook. ... See more
Quote:

On 2003-01-27 10:47, Marianne Renia wrote:

Hi all!

Marianne

Eudora-fan

First of all, the program many people say causes problems is Outlook Express, not Outlook. Secondly, when you know how to manage software and e-mail, any program can be safe. If you just rely on a program to keep you safe, any program can be dangerous

In other words, it isn\'t the program that causes problems, but the user.

The reason there are so many reports of problems with Outlook Express is because so many viruses are written for MS programs. This is because they are the most used programs. Who would bother writing viruses that would only affect a small percentage of people.

Take care,

Karin Adamczyk ▲ Collapse

Pieter_H
Pieter_H  Identity Verified
Norway
Norwegian to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I have other things to do than reinstalling PC's and programs.. Jan 27, 2003

Karin,

I partly agree with you. Keeping your system up-to-date and having proper virus protection is one thing.

The problem often is, however, that viruses spread BEFORE the cure has been found.

For that reason I adhere the KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid)-principle. Why at all take the risk?

Especially for people (who probably are not full-or part time Sysop\'s themselves) need to spend their time worrying when the next time a virus wi
... See more
Karin,

I partly agree with you. Keeping your system up-to-date and having proper virus protection is one thing.

The problem often is, however, that viruses spread BEFORE the cure has been found.

For that reason I adhere the KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid)-principle. Why at all take the risk?

Especially for people (who probably are not full-or part time Sysop\'s themselves) need to spend their time worrying when the next time a virus will hit their system.

That\'s one side of the problem.

The other is that several sviruses automatically and unsollicited spread to anyone known e-mail address in the system, thus maybe - without you knowing it, upsetting your friend\'s, colleagues\'s or clients\'s system.

I would not want to be reponsible for that.

And as you seem to agree with the fact that most viruses are written for MS. Market share comes at a cost.

Pegasus or Eudora, \"anything goes\", but NO Outlook (Express) for me, please

Collapse

Emanuel Bod
Emanuel Bod  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:55
English to Romanian
+ ...
Pegasus Mail has other benefits too Jan 27, 2003

Hi all,

I have been using Pegasus Mail for a couple of years now and I am very satisfied with it.

Pegasus is a full featured email program with advanced functions like: support for multiple accounts, message filtering, selective mail download, and my favourite, Mail Merge. The easy to use mail merge function allows you to send personalized messages to many people at once. I use it to send all my holiday greetings, it\'s easy as 1-2-3 and it makes a good
... See more
Hi all,

I have been using Pegasus Mail for a couple of years now and I am very satisfied with it.

Pegasus is a full featured email program with advanced functions like: support for multiple accounts, message filtering, selective mail download, and my favourite, Mail Merge. The easy to use mail merge function allows you to send personalized messages to many people at once. I use it to send all my holiday greetings, it\'s easy as 1-2-3 and it makes a good impression.

So, I heartily recommend that you switch to Pegasus Mail

Best regards,

Emanuel Bod

Collapse

Karin Adamczyk (X)
Karin Adamczyk (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 17:55
French to English
Which is *exactly* why I use Outlook Jan 27, 2003

Quote:

That is exactly why I use Outlook. No anti-virus or e-mail program will keep you safe if you rely solely on these programs.

What I like about Outlook is that I can retrieve only the message headers and choose which attachments I retrieve onto my system.

From the discussions... See more
Quote:

That is exactly why I use Outlook. No anti-virus or e-mail program will keep you safe if you rely solely on these programs.

What I like about Outlook is that I can retrieve only the message headers and choose which attachments I retrieve onto my system.

From the discussions about this on Lantra, I believe this is still not possible with Eudora and Eudora automatically saves all attachments onto your computer. Of course, having a virus on your system is not a problem. It only becomes a problem if you execute the virus.

I don\'t know if this option is possible with Pegasus. I know it is not available with Outlook Express.

My main point was that you should not tell people not to use a product when you have incorrectly identified the problem product. It is not Outlook or Outlook (Express) -- it is Outlook Express. Outlook and Outlook Express and two completely separate and *very* different programs.

I want to clearly say that Outlook Express should not be referred to as Outlook (Express) because this gives people the impression that these two programs are one and the same.

Regards,

Karin Adamczyk ▲ Collapse

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad
Ivan Eikås Skjøstad  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Viruses are not a problem... Jan 27, 2003

I use mailwasher (from mailwasher.net) It\'s free, free from ads or ad software and it will identify most viruses while only reading mail headers.

If you use a single line or ISDN this program will make sure that you do not spend your time downloading any mail that may contain a virus (or two..

After filtering all my mails, mailwasher send me to my favourite program: Outlook.

[ This Message was edite
... See more
I use mailwasher (from mailwasher.net) It\'s free, free from ads or ad software and it will identify most viruses while only reading mail headers.

If you use a single line or ISDN this program will make sure that you do not spend your time downloading any mail that may contain a virus (or two..

After filtering all my mails, mailwasher send me to my favourite program: Outlook.

[ This Message was edited by:on2003-01-27 22:00]
Collapse

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 00:55
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Viruses- not a promotion, just an advice Jan 28, 2003

First, of course, you have to use reliable antivirus- and we use KAV- product of Kaspersky Lab in Russia. I’m not exactly a fun of Russia (to put it mildly), but this software rules- you can set it even to hourly automatic updates and, what’s more- if anywhere on the Net danger appears, be sure- update will be in place before you’ll know it. Normally updates are released daily, but in cases of emergency in hours. In a course of 5 years it hasn’t failed us once, never had let a single vir... See more
First, of course, you have to use reliable antivirus- and we use KAV- product of Kaspersky Lab in Russia. I’m not exactly a fun of Russia (to put it mildly), but this software rules- you can set it even to hourly automatic updates and, what’s more- if anywhere on the Net danger appears, be sure- update will be in place before you’ll know it. Normally updates are released daily, but in cases of emergency in hours. In a course of 5 years it hasn’t failed us once, never had let a single virus though (and on “good” days we receive hundreds of infected emails).

That is what Norton and McAfee with their weekly updates cannot provide. Also the price is lower and reliability much higher- just check by Google or their site .

As to the Messenger- using the same Google, find “XP-AntySpy V3.61”, download it and disable the Messenger, constantly bothering you with updates and all, forever.
[addsig]
Collapse

Mario Cerutti
Mario Cerutti  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 06:55
Italian to Japanese
+ ...
E-mail client plus server e-mail preview utility Jan 28, 2003

I am not fan of Microsoft, but let me say that Outlook (not Outlook Express) is an excellent and robust e-mail client. Use it together with a anti-spam utility (that allows to identify viruses as well before downloading anything from the server) and you will be safe absolutely.

I am also using MailWasher: this does keep me safe!

Regards

Mario cerutti

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Avoid MS-Outlook viruses

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »