Páginas no tópico:   < [1 2]
"Help Us Choose a Name" spam (Staff: action taken)
Tópico cartaz: Anne Brackenborough (X)
Alex Du
Alex Du
China
Local time: 08:15
inglês para chinês
+ ...
Maybe it's not only a spam Dec 16, 2009

Maybe it's not only a spam, it also collects you personal data too. Be careful.

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
República Tcheca
Local time: 02:15
inglês para tcheco
+ ...
Indeed Dec 16, 2009

Nikita Kobrin wrote:

Good reply, Richard.

RichardDeegan wrote:

Once you hit one of those "Take me off your list" things, you have just confirmed to the spammer that yours is a legitimate address.

Absolutely: you should never hit those "Take me off your list" things from unreliable senders.

Never reply, never click anything, never subscribe, never "unsubscribe".

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
EQUIPE DO SITE
Appropriate action has been taken Dec 16, 2009

Hello all,

Thanks for reporting this, Anne. Appropriate action has been taken.

Let me remind you that you can also report any abuse or email spam/scams/phishing through your ProZ.com mail service by submitting a support request via the support system. Just remember to add a copy of the message received, including headers, to help support staff handle the problem more efficiently.

Or else, simply click
... See more
Hello all,

Thanks for reporting this, Anne. Appropriate action has been taken.

Let me remind you that you can also report any abuse or email spam/scams/phishing through your ProZ.com mail service by submitting a support request via the support system. Just remember to add a copy of the message received, including headers, to help support staff handle the problem more efficiently.

Or else, simply click on "Unsolicited advertising? Spam? click here" at the bottom of the email you receive in your email inbox or on "Report Spam" at the bottom of any instant message. In both cases a support request will be automatically generated containing all the necessary information ProZ.com support staff needs to take appropriate action.

Thanks again for your cooperation.

Regards,

Lucia
Collapse

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 19:15
Membro
espanhol
+ ...
Action? Dec 16, 2009

I don't know about the others, but the email I received didn't come through Proz.

avsie (X)
avsie (X)  Identity Verified
inglês para francês
+ ...
Same here Dec 16, 2009

Claudia Alvis wrote:

I don't know about the others, but the email I received didn't come through Proz.

I suspect they harvested my e-mail address from my website.

Anne Brackenborough (X)
Anne Brackenborough (X)  Identity Verified
Alemanha
alemão para inglês
CRIADOR(A) DO TÓPICO
harvesting Dec 16, 2009

That's what I found funny; that they wrote to me directly. I wondered if they could get actual e-mail addresses from Proz somehow. I can't see anyone trawling through the Internet searching for individual translators' addresses just for publicity. But maybe Neil is right and they are just bursting with enthusiasm and spare time!

Anne Brackenborough (X)
Anne Brackenborough (X)  Identity Verified
Alemanha
alemão para inglês
CRIADOR(A) DO TÓPICO
Say no to strangers Dec 17, 2009

dazsnow wrote:
"we have to be so careful" - why?

I guess Julie was referring to the fact that when you get an e-mail from a stranger, you don't know if they really want your help or, when you click on a link, it will confirm that your e-mail address is active. They can then send it on as a hot tip to anyone else wanting active translators' addresses for advertising. Apparently, people are willing to pay money for that kind of list. Not a big threat, but annoying, as such specific spam often gets through filters.

Dhiraj Khati
Dhiraj Khati  Identity Verified
Nepal
Local time: 06:00
Membro (2009)
inglês para nepali
+ ...
Never received but I will be careful Jan 19, 2010

I have not received this kind of spams regarding translation. These information that shared here will definitely help to become more careful.
Thanks

Páginas no tópico:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Help Us Choose a Name" spam (Staff: action taken)

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »