Thread poster: BettinaVaamonde
BettinaVaamonde
BettinaVaamonde
Canada
Local time: 17:14
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 25, 2014

What is the hourly rate for proofreading 1200 words in Spanish?

Can anyone help me? I was asked by an Agency.

Thanks.

Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 00:14
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Hourly rate. Aug 25, 2014

No matter how many words.

Josephine Cassar
Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Malta
Local time: 23:14
Member (2012)
English to Maltese
+ ...
My 2 cents Aug 25, 2014

For what they are worth. It depends on the text. Are you sure you can proofread 1200 words? You can easily proofread a certain text but not another. Always ask to see the text. Are you sure text will not need editing, but just proof reading? Agencies call them by the same name. A text where you have to look up every single word, like a technical text for me, would be one thing but a text I am familiar with but does not need technical language or terminology is a different kettle. I mean, you jus... See more
For what they are worth. It depends on the text. Are you sure you can proofread 1200 words? You can easily proofread a certain text but not another. Always ask to see the text. Are you sure text will not need editing, but just proof reading? Agencies call them by the same name. A text where you have to look up every single word, like a technical text for me, would be one thing but a text I am familiar with but does not need technical language or terminology is a different kettle. I mean, you just cannot generalise, that's my experience at least, and I haven't mentioned the translator's ability or lack of it. Hope others give you more feedback and in the language pairs you are asking about. Gl.

[Edited at 2014-08-25 19:49 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-08-25 20:03 GMT]
Collapse

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Your hourly rate Aug 25, 2014

Sergei Leshchinsky wrote:

No matter how many words.

Exactly. You know your hourly rate, so go ahead and charge it.

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Just state your rate per hour Aug 25, 2014

The advantage of being paid per hour (or minute) is that you don't commit beforehand to a certain lump sum.

If a certain job takes you longer you'll invoice more.

Good luck,
Gerard

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:14
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Hourly rate is all you can give Aug 25, 2014

I've been asked to quote for jobs where I couldn't possibly have managed to proces more than 500 words in an hour; and others where I've been able to process 5,000 in that same time. Those are extremes, and you have to take into account the actual job requirements too, as has been said. But anything from 750 to 2,000 words per hour I would consider "normal". That's why I'd never agree to a per-word rate for editing - not before seeing the entire text, anyway.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Hourly rate for proofreading 1200 words

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »