Natalia Gorobinskaya
Natalia Gorobinskaya  Identity Verified
Hiszpania
Local time: 17:40
hiszpański > rosyjski
+ ...
Mar 27, 2007

Dear All,
I'm a freelance RussianEnglish translator. I'm interested in learning Spanish as well, and potentially being able to translate to and from Spanish. I would like to spend some time in Spain learning Spanish, and then possibly get a degree in translation there. How would you recommend me to start my studies? Should I start learning Spanish at a university or some language school? I currently live in New York. Mayabe someone knows any good study abroad programs here.

T
... See more
Dear All,
I'm a freelance RussianEnglish translator. I'm interested in learning Spanish as well, and potentially being able to translate to and from Spanish. I would like to spend some time in Spain learning Spanish, and then possibly get a degree in translation there. How would you recommend me to start my studies? Should I start learning Spanish at a university or some language school? I currently live in New York. Mayabe someone knows any good study abroad programs here.

Thank you in advance!

Natalia

[Редактировалось 2007-03-27 16:23]
Collapse

sarahjeanne (X)
sarahjeanne (X)
Brazylia
Local time: 12:40
portugalski > angielski
+ ...
Estudio Sampere Mar 27, 2007

When I was studying for my BA in Spanish I did some language and lit. courses at this school in Madrid. While I was there I took a look at their translation school materials and it looks like a pretty good program; I ended up studying translation in Brazil, but if I had stayed in Spain I think I would have studied there. The school is nice and you can take Language classes there first and then do the translation thing. Here's their site:
... See more
When I was studying for my BA in Spanish I did some language and lit. courses at this school in Madrid. While I was there I took a look at their translation school materials and it looks like a pretty good program; I ended up studying translation in Brazil, but if I had stayed in Spain I think I would have studied there. The school is nice and you can take Language classes there first and then do the translation thing. Here's their site:

http://www.sampere.edu.es/

Suerte!
Collapse

Deschant
Deschant
Local time: 16:40
Reply Mar 27, 2007

Hi Natalia,

Most universities offer intensive Spanish language programs for foreigners (20-30 hours of lessons per week). I believe one of the most popular options is Salamanca, the beautiful university city. Santiago, where I did my undergraduate degree, offers courses as well (http://www.usc.es/spanish/) and it's also a lovely university city. University courses are usually cheaper than private
... See more
Hi Natalia,

Most universities offer intensive Spanish language programs for foreigners (20-30 hours of lessons per week). I believe one of the most popular options is Salamanca, the beautiful university city. Santiago, where I did my undergraduate degree, offers courses as well (http://www.usc.es/spanish/) and it's also a lovely university city. University courses are usually cheaper than private language schools and they can help you with accommodation. However, as they are aimed to students of any discipline rather than to professional translators, I don't know whether you will find the lessons tailored to your needs.

A number of universities offer degrees in Translation and interpretation - I can now think of Granada, Salamanca, Vigo, Barcelona, Alicante, Castellón, Madrid, and I'm sure there are more. However these degrees require you to have Spanish as your "A" language (although some of them allow you to have another official language of Spain, such as Galician or Catalan, as your A language, but I don't think this is a solution for you).

There's also a masters of interpreting taught at the University of La Laguna (in the Canary Islands) which is part of the European Masters in Conference Interpreting (http://www.emcinterpreting.net/)... the last time I checked they admitted people with A languages other than Spanish... I'm not sure which are the current requirements though.
Collapse

Natalia Gorobinskaya
Natalia Gorobinskaya  Identity Verified
Hiszpania
Local time: 17:40
hiszpański > rosyjski
+ ...
NOWY TEMAT
Very helpful! Mar 27, 2007

This is very, very helpful! Thank you so much! I'm guessing I have to start with learning Spanish first, and it sounds like there are some good options. Although Salamanca does look good, I would prefer being in Madrid. But if school in Salamanca is worth it, maybe it will be Salamanca.

Thanks again!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderatorzy tego forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Study Spanish in Spain

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »